Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

What year is your Cabrio? If it's K-jet (CIS), the specified change intervals were pretty often, at least at first. Experience showed that, like the early O2 sensor intervals, they were being fairly over-cautious, 60k miles turned out to be quite reasonable for K-jet fuel filters, and O2 sensors tended to work well for even longer. But K-jet should have fuel filter changes more often than L-jet (which include the "Digi's") because there is a much finer and far more expensive element metering fuel, the fuel distributor, where the tolerance on the metering piston is so fine that gasoline at up to 70psi above it doesn't leak thru the tolerance while the piston must move freely in the bore. The tiniest particles will ruin them, and that's almost always how they die. Fuel and air filtration in K-jets needs to be nearly perfect. K-jets were the first systems where we saw the big canister fuel filters appear, but it seems they just started using them across the board, maybe because even though since injectors may pass small particles, as they do the nozzles do get eroded.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Here is an old post to a different forum from someone who said he read and cleared codes from 022D ECUs.

Craig C Forney from Vanagon Mailing List <[email protected]> circa 2014 wrote:
If you hook up a light like the 88-89 wiring diagram in the Bentley manual shows, you can clear the codes by grounding the pin signal pin to the ECU when you turn on the key. But you have to replicate the 88-89 wiring, including the "special" 5-pin relay in the engine compartment. By the way, if you ground the wrong pin, you can fry your ECU.

Since trouble code clearing happens during key on, and the special relay circuit (presumably) has to do w/ a delayed power off, I don't think the relay circuit matters. Regardless, I monitored the pin23 related processor pin during an attempted code clearing procedure, and it acted indifferently.

kamzcab86 wrote:
The fact that the majority of the '88-'89 vans don't even have a CEL in the dash means, IMHO, that it's not worth risk frying the ECU trying to pull & clearing (mostly useless) codes out of it.

Without the ability to clear codes, I agree that it's fruitless. However, if we were able to, I think it would be useful to some 022D owners (eg, 'oh, my AFM is acting up', 'my O2 sensor is acting up', etc). Adding a simple Check Engine Light (CEL) LED to the dash and a button to manipulate GND for coaxing out the trouble codes might be a reasonable project for some people. Done right, it wouldn't endanger the ECU. VW/Bosch implemented this circuit in many other vehicles of similar vintage, after all. But the 'if' is the hold up.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

great stuff!!!

anyone know what happens inside the idle stabilizer control unit?
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a way to clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the VW/Bosch 022D ECU. It's a bit inconvenient, but works consistently on the few ECUs that I've tried (regardless of EPROM version). Apparently, the coolant temperature sensor needs to be disconnected!

YMMV/proceed at your own risk/etc...

To clear DTCs on a Vanagon 022D ECU:
1. With key off, disconnect Coolant Temperature Sensor from ECU.
2. Ground ECU pin20 as you key on, keeping it grounded at least 4s before releasing. It should start blinking out DTC 4444, indicating 'no faults'.
3. ..put it back together: Key off, reconnect Coolant Temperature Sensor.

I'd like a solution that doesn't require unplugging anything, but this beats nothing.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:

I'd like a solution that doesn't require unplugging anything, but this beats nothing.

run a switched line from the coolant sensor wire to ground. flick the LABELED switch to do the reset. add in some transient protection, like a diode and/or RC filter, mix to taste. bob's your uncle.

BiWerks Design, LLC
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
run a switched line from the coolant sensor wire to ground

Apologies for the terse instructions, they could be improved upon.

Regarding the Coolant Temperature Sensor and resetting.. Another way of saying it is: ECU pin10 (which the coolant temperature sensor attaches to) needs to float (ie, effectively nothing connected to the wire). So for your switch idea, it would just need to open the coolant temperature sensor wire (eg, SPST). It could happen near the ECU or near the sensor, all the same.

The ECU pin20 is the OBD/MAL/CEL pin. It's the one that gets manipulated with ground and blinks out the codes.

I tried to avoid disconnecting the temperature sensor altogether by attempting to reset DTCs with a cold engine (high resistance) or a hot engine (low resistance), but still no go.

I'd like a solution that doesn't require modifying the harness or leaving the driver's seat (like VW's original plan). Needing to disconnect the coolant temp sensor to reset DTCs is a head scratcher. Did they really intend to make it that inconvenient, or is there another way?
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

Thanks Kam!

I stocked up on one of the last remaining 40A 5-pin relays in case my '89 runs into the same problem as your parents' van did.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
I took the time to reproduce the ProTraining Manual

This is GREAT! A long while back (ashamed to say how long) I began to reproduce the "Journeys Under Difficult Conditions" manual. VW created this in 1980 and updated it in 1984. Focuses on how to modify and equip your Vanagon or LT for, well, "difficult conditions".

With your inspiration, I'll commit to completing it by Christmas!

Thanks again!

Jim Davis

Well, this has proved more challenging than I thought and I'll have to break my promise. I have however now located the right resources to complete it!
My new promise: Done by Memorial Day!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing it when you get it completed.
87 Syncro GL
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

just want to show some love for this revised edition.

this is an amazing resource made more amazing. from helping me sort out hacked up wiring in the Westy to the relay swap in my 90 tin top, i appreciate the time Kamz put into this.

thank you.

BiWerks Design, LLC
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
just want to show some love for this revised edition.

this is an amazing resource made more amazing. from helping me sort out hacked up wiring in the Westy to the relay swap in my 90 tin top, i appreciate the time Kamz put into this.

thank you.

And thank YOU for doing that, because I'd never seen it and it's now part of my library.

Awesome work.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

🤗❤
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
🤗❤

Kamz, your host site is showing as a hostile site according to Chrome, and the pdf files aren't loading.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

X2 on the hostile site (Phishing) warning...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

dbeierl wrote:
Kamz, your host site is showing as a hostile site according to Chrome, and the pdf files aren't loading.

Probably because the original post contained the old http links. The site was finally moved to a secure server at the beginning of the year (links now updated):
https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_DoubleSided.pdf
https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

If you still get the warning, let me know.
2016 Golf GTI S
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
dbeierl wrote:

Probably because the original post contained the old http links. The site was finally moved to a secure server at the beginning of the year (links now updated):
https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_DoubleSided.pdf
https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

If you still get the warning, let me know.

the cert is either invalid or expired or the site has been reported as deceptive. i attempted to access the site using Firefox and Edge in Windows, both failed to connect via https. on my cell using Safari, it let me know the site was unsecure and possibly a threat but eventually let me proceed.

BiWerks Design, LLC
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

Well, damn. Mad

Currently on the road, but will look into the issue when I get home.

Thanks for the heads-up. 🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Well, damn. Mad

Thanks for the heads-up. 🍺

My pleasure and thank *you*. I can get to the links by blowing through the warnings, but all I get for either one is a pdf-looking page with no content.

Yrs,
David
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Digifant ProTraining Manual - Revised Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Looked into the issue on Tuesday upon returning home and it was due two things: one certificate was excluded from auto-verification (fixed), another certificate could not be verified because the host fouled up the mail DNS settings, something I don't even use (I use a third party for email). I removed the auto-generated mail folder from the server, contacted Google with an explanation, and heard back today: All is dandy; warnings removed. Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: