Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clicking sound and very loose valve
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

Hello!

Long-time reader and first-time poster. I'm about a year into my Beetle journey and have found this forum to be very helpful. I'm hoping the expertise here can help me diagnose an issue with our 61 convertible that popped up yesterday.

We were driving yesterday, leaving a parking lot, when the engine very suddenly started making a loud clicking noise in sync with the rpms. The car also started backfiring. The issue went away for a bit as we drove, then came back sounding even worse with some engine stumbling. After we pulled over for a while, we started the car back up, and were able to get her the last few miles home. Sounded ok, not great, definitely a little off still.

I checked the valves this morning and all were in adjustment except #3 exhaust which was way loose. There was a huge gap, like 1/8". I had to turn in the adjustment screw in pretty far, much farther than the others, to get the gap at 0.006. You should be able to see this in the below pic (far left). My Spidey sense told me something didn't seem right about having to make a huge adjustment like that, so I haven't tried to start the car.

What could be going on here? My initial thought is stuck or collapsed lifter, but I'm still a novice with these cars. Thanks for any insight!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

No hydraulic lifters on these cars. Solid lifter.
With the gap so much larger, it's time to pull the rocker shaft and examine the #3 exhaust pushrod. (Set to TDC for that cylinder first).
If you are lucky it's a pushrod failure, with nothing else out of whack. This is rare, though; usually something ELSE wrong makes the pushrod fail (stuck valve or lifter).
Do not drive or even run the engine until you investigate further.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

I second Phils assessment. VW had a couple of styles of pushrods back in the day. I had the end snap off one on the way home in my Squareback. Take the arms off and I'll bet you have your answer

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

Thank you both for the quick reply. I went ahead and pulled the rocker assembly off. The pushrod is not bent. The surface of the #3 exhaust valve is noticeably lower than the other three. With a straight edge, #3 intake and the #4s are level with each other. The #3 exhaust sits a good 1/8" lower. Is this a stuck valve?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

How about the #4 exhaust valve lash? It uses the same cam lobe, so if it's good, then its a lifter or valve, stuck or worn.
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How about the #4 exhaust valve lash? It uses the same cam lobe, so if it's good, then its a lifter or valve, stuck or worn.

#4 exhaust was right where it should've been at 0.006. All of the valves were in adjustment except for #3 exhaust. I last did an adjustment ~500 miles ago.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

Possible that the #3 exhaust seat is working it's way out of the head preventing the valve from returning to it normal position. If that is the case, running the engine is a very bad idea.

The engine will probably have to come out and that head will need to be pulled to inspect the valves and valve seat.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

pdx6169 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

#4 exhaust was right where it should've been at 0.006. All of the valves were in adjustment except for #3 exhaust. I last did an adjustment ~500 miles ago.

Actually, the #3 exhaust valve shares the cam lobe with the #1 exhaust valve.

If #1 exhaust measures out ok.
You might have a valve seat for the #3 exhaust getting ready to fall out and get stuck behind the valve face. When that happens. Bad things take place.

Edit: If you do find that the valve seat needs replacement.
Wilsons Head and Cylinder in Sherwood can repair it.
A friend recently had his heads refreshed there. Luke (the owner) was taught by a HS shop teacher years ago. The teacher owned a VW shop in Cornelius.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

The engine will probably have to come out and that head will need to be pulled to inspect the valves and valve seat.

Thanks! I guess I'm going to learn to pull an engine Razz

67rustavenger wrote:

A friend recently had his heads refreshed there. Luke (the owner) was taught by a HS shop teacher years ago. The teacher owned a VW shop in Cornelius.

Thanks for the tip! I'm in Tigard just a few miles away.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

pdx6169 wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Thanks! I guess I'm going to learn to pull an engine Razz

67rustavenger wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I'm in Tigard just a few miles away.

You're closer than me. I live in Hillsboro. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

To me it seems, you have a 1200 with cylinder heads with round bosses, but converted to short studs. Clearance should be 0.004 then, according to the workshop manual describing the process for this kind of conversion. With the the short studs, clearance increases when the engine warms up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
To me it seems, you have a 1200 with cylinder heads with round bosses, but converted to short studs. Clearance should be 0.004 then, according to the workshop manual describing the process for this kind of conversion. With the the short studs, clearance increases when the engine warms up.

You are correct, this side has short studs. The other side has long studs...

I may opt for buying reconditioned heads so it's the same setup on both sides.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
pdx6169 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Actually, the #3 exhaust valve shares the cam lobe with the #1 exhaust valve.

Right you are! I looked at the photo, not text, and had sides reversed.

But the result is the same, just the one valve is out of whack. It could have been much worse! If opposite valves had trouble, you would be splitting the case. This now looks like "just" head removal.

I'd do both sides, make sure compression is even on all four, put short studs on the other head, and clean up any other "external" engine issues while it is out and partly apart.

And count your lucky stars you caught it in time!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

In late 1971, VW retconned the valve adjustment specification for all "short stud" heads to .006" regardless of what the original owner's manual stated. That included converted round boss heads and even 36HP engines.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help. Looks like the car is grounded for now and I have myself another summer project. This will have to wait a bit as I also have a 69 sedan that I need to get back on the road once parts come in next week. Luckily no engine pull there (yet!), just putting in a new pedal assembly. But of course the clutch cable wingnut was seized and the guide tube was missing altogether, so that put a halt on what should've been a single afternoon job. The fun never ends!
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I'd do both sides, make sure compression is even on all four, put short studs on the other head, and clean up any other "external" engine issues while it is out and partly apart.

How does one put the short studs on? The Muir book mentions a conversion kit but it doesn't appear that anyone actually sells this nowadays.
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

Try here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2419321
Good guy, mostly OG parts.
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Try here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2419321
Good guy, mostly OG parts.

Thanks! Can I use these with the same rocker assembly currently on there with the long studs?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

The photo above shows rockers held on with SAE head bolts. That means it has already been converted to short studs.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
pdx6169
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The photo above shows rockers held on with SAE head bolts. That means it has already been converted to short studs.

The head in the photo does indeed have short studs. The other head still has long studs, and other posters recommended getting a valve job on both heads and doing the short stud conversion to the other side.

I don't feel like getting greasy right now but can take a pic of the other side tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: