Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memorial Day Weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
nsracing wrote:
So what does a disabled veteran get then? By your attitude, I don't appreciate it -this coming from a veteran. Memorial day is a day of mourning for ALL who have risked life and limbs defending your freedom. But also, those who have come home but have never really come home - the disabled ones. They too deserve our thanks.

I am flying my flag at half-staff to honor them all.

Being a disabled veteran myself, I stick to my assertion that Memorial Day is to remember those that are no longer with us and not a day of thanks or recognition for the living -- that would be Veteran's Day.

This is how I have always understood the meaning of each of these days. We set them aside for reflection and remembrance.

That is not to say that one cannot do both, on any given day, for any reason.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mukluk wrote:
nsracing wrote:
So what does a disabled veteran get then? By your attitude, I don't appreciate it -this coming from a veteran. Memorial day is a day of mourning for ALL who have risked life and limbs defending your freedom. But also, those who have come home but have never really come home - the disabled ones. They too deserve our thanks.

I am flying my flag at half-staff to honor them all.

Being a disabled veteran myself, I stick to my assertion that Memorial Day is to remember those that are no longer with us and not a day of thanks or recognition for the living -- that would be Veteran's Day.

This is how I have always understood the meaning of each of these days. We set them aside for reflection and remembrance.

That is not to say that one cannot do both, on any given day, for any reason.

Memorial Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Memorial Day (disambiguation).
See also: Decoration Day (disambiguation)
Memorial Day
Graves at Arlington on Memorial Day.JPG
The gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery are decorated by U.S. flags on Memorial Day weekend in 2008.
Official name Memorial Day
Observed by Americans
Type National
Observances U.S. military personnel that died in service
Date Last Monday in May
2019 date May 27
2020 date May 25
2021 date May 31
2022 date May 30
Frequency Annual

The Tomb of the Unknowns located in Arlington National Cemetery
Memorial Day (previously, but now seldom, called Decoration Day[1]) is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the military personnel who had died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] The holiday is now observed on the last Monday of May, having been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970.[3]

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day to honor and mourn those who died while serving in the U.S. Military. Many volunteers place an American flag on graves of military personnel in national cemeteries.

Memorial Day is also considered the unofficial start of summer in the United States,[4] while Labor Day, the first Monday of September, marks the unofficial start of autumn.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

I'm in Phoenix Arizona. I cannot count how many times I've heard folks say "I love the heat". But every weekend and especially on 3-day weekends hoards crowd the freeway to go north to the mountains to escape that heat they profess to love. Problem is: that I-17 freeway is just two lanes each way like it was in the late 1960s, and there's tons too much traffic, so backs up for miles. Even a fender bender or a flat tire or someone running out of gas causes a massive backup.

One time it took me 6 hours to go 150 miles, two hours of that spent at the rest area as traffic was at a standstill. A trailer had gone over a guardrail, and DPS decided to retrieve that on a Sunday afternoon while a zillion folks were trying to return to Phoenix. M-Thursday traffic on that freeway is considerable less.

Of course, folks could take a substantially longer route to Phoenix through Wickenburg or Payson, but thousands are trying to do that too, so that gets clogged.

All this is worse because so many here don't understand to pull to the right lane or use turn signals, think they're "saving" the turn signals or something. Floors me !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Memorial Day, for the fallen. We have three in our family in that cathegory going way back to,WWI

Veterans Day - for the 1-2% in fire under combat arms, we have one in that category

We have 8 others who view our service as government workers like the DMV, and don’t think Veterans Day is about us, but for the 20% combat arms. We don’t take the discounts, wear hats, or get bumper stickers. Police officers, firefighters, nurses face much more than we ever did.

Feel free to celebrate as your family sees fit.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Feel free to celebrate as your family sees fit.

wow, thanks for the permission

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Flags are up at the local cemetery.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Yea, 'Murica !! Red, White & Blue Vdubs !!
Heading to the Vt. Veterans cemetery in Randolph Vt. Have a good/safe Holiday everyone......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Remembering Freddy Joel

https://www.pownetwork.org/bios/r/r005.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

@ Glenn ...

I had A. I. T at Fort Belvoir, VA back in '88. We would take the bus to a Metro Station (Washington, DC subway). We had access to all the monuments, Smithsonian stuff, & etc.

That memorial you posted was VERY memorable ... and somber. Everyone was quiet & respectful.
It left an impression on me, even to this day.

Thanks

All the best to any service member &/or their families.

Stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

FYI if you are interested:

The Vietnam Memorial Traveling wall schedule.

https://www.travelingwall.us/
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Make sure to thank a veteran! JK that's labor day...
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
Make sure to thank a veteran! JK that's labor day...

"Veterans Day (originally known as Armistice Day) is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans of the United States Armed Forces (who were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable).[1][2] It coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are commemorated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I.[3] Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.[4]

Veterans Day is distinct from Memorial Day, a U.S. public holiday in May. Veterans Day commemorated the service of all U.S. veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who have died while in military service.[5] Another military holiday that also occurs in May, Armed Forces Day, honors those currently serving in the U.S. military. Additionally, Women Veterans Day is recognized by a growing number of U.S. states that specifically honor women who have served in the U.S. military."

"Labor Day is a federal holiday in the United States celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor and recognize the American labor movement and the works and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States.[1][2][3] The three-day weekend it falls on is called Labor Day Weekend."

Big difference!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

I'm not a Veteran but this past weekend in 2 different stores i had people say to me "Happy Memorial Day". I did not reply back. WTF is wrong with people? Whats "Happy" about it?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

obus wrote:
I'm not a Veteran but this past weekend in 2 different stores i had people say to me "Happy Memorial Day". I did not reply back. WTF is wrong with people? Whats "Happy" about it?

Agreed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

There are still 84,000 MIA out there. And 75,000 of whom from WW2 alone.

But one by one, thru the years, have come home. God bless them all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: