Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

Replacing the Transmission mounts on my 74 Super Beetle. (front and rears, JBUG mounts.) Engine Out.

The front mount took some wiggling but I was able to get it out and the new one installed. I torqued the 3 bolts to 14 FT LB, I left the 2 larger bolts/nuts to frame slightly loose so the transmission could slide freely while tightening/installing rear mounts. Mount was a nice JBUG quality part.

I then swapped the jack support closer to the rear to get tension off and installed the NEW Left and Right Transmission mounts..I torqued those 4 13mm nuts to 14 FT lbs.

When I went to install the brace that sits underneath...none of the holes lined up even close...

I loosened/unbolted the the 4 transmission mount nuts and installed the brace (loosely) I was able to then loosely tighten down the RIGHT transmission mount nuts.

As you can see the LEFT mount isn't even close.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anyone else had to grind down the NEW transmission mounts in order to clear the mounting brace on a 74+ Super Beetle?

One of the reviews on the Jbug site for the transmission mount stated (It wasn't very good. Had to grind it down to fit)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

That's because the cradle is bent. Someone jacked the rear up in the middle of it and bent it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

I hate the late mounts- best thing to do is convert to the earlier style mounts and brace- it all drops right in.

If the part requires modification to fit then it's likely manufactured incorrectly. If that is acceptable to you then oval the holes so it all lines up.

It looks like the cradle itself is bent, however.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

THANK YOU for the quick reply and answer(s).
Dang it.
I will start researching how that cradle should look *SEE BELOW* ...and if I can either bend it out or have to buy a new one.
1 step forward...4 steps back.

Thank you again for taking the time to share and save me from not doing the job 100% correctly.

WHOA...what a difference. This new cradle selling on ebay....is STRAIGHT!

Hopefully this helps someone else down the line.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

Looks like the cradle was used to lift the car. Topline has both stock style and heavy-duty replacement cradles. Do yourself a favor and replace it.

As stated above, the later mounts (like you car...and mine, have) allow substantially more movement than the earlier mounts. I switched to an earlier, heavy-duty cradle with bus mounts (they're gray).

H2OSB
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation on the Top Line part. This was the only one I could find...its gold.

Definitely looks more robust and it seems reasonably priced.

Again I appreciate everyone's knowledge and guidance. I was hesitant to even post the question but man I am happy I did. Just ordered that Top Line mount.
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: REAR Transmission Mounts Replacement issue/question (74 SUPER) Reply with quote

Wanted to post the side by side photos for others who might come across a problem like this. The Top Line mount arrived quickly and is very very heavy duty/good quality. Bolted right up.
Thank you everyone for your help/guidance.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: