Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
Looking at your setup the DC-DC charger is behind the driver with the aux battery under the rear seat. Victron says to mount the charger "close to" the battery - which is pretty vague. I found something online that says 1 meter - I'm guessing that you have about 2 meters of cable from charger to battery. Is that working out OK?
I'm planning on something similar and hope this arrangement will be good.

I've had no problems. Just use the proper gauge wire. I am using 6 AWG (probably a bit overkill) Ancor marine wire and the run is 6-8 ft.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
openroad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Hi Vanuber..

I'm sure my install is the slowest on record. But I'm finally getting to it and will post some pics when it's finally done. I was thinking about your switch panel and deciding if I need one. It's the only item I don't own from your schematic.

I don't have a heater (at least not yet). So I'm wondering how I'd use your switch panel? It's really an on/off switch. And in my case it would be for the Truck Fridge, lights, radio, USB and 12v plugs. Why would I need one?

When would I want to turn off the fridge? When home I could simply turn the battery off with the master switch off the aux battery ground. It's not clear to me, so why have it. Or why have a master for lights or radio?

I'm thinking I'll use a fuse block sub panel like in the picture below to help distribute power. I already have it so I'll use it, but don't think I really need the extra fuses but it makes it all cleaner I think:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the fuse block I have: https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Sea-Systems-Blade-Block...amp;sr=8-5

Thanks in advance!
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

openroad65 wrote:
Hi Vanuber..

I'm sure my install is the slowest on record. But I'm finally getting to it and will post some pics when it's finally done. I was thinking about your switch panel and deciding if I need one. It's the only item I don't own from your schematic.

I don't have a heater (at least not yet) so it's really for the Truck Fridge in my case. I'm not sure why you want to have a master switch for lights or the radio.

When would I want to turn off the fridge? When home I could simply turn the battery off with the master switch off the aux battery ground. It's not clear to me, so why have it. And why have a master for lights or radio?

Thanks in advance!

Simply put, it’s about control of my precious 100 Ah. It basically lets me be selective about where the energy is going. If you have a large battery, it may not matter as much.

I want to choose what is drawing off my auxiliary battery and when. I don’t want to run my fridge on a day trip or a drive around town. I don’t want my stereo drawing milliamps during a 3-day camping trip when I am not listening to music. I may want to use the lights or charge a phone or laptop without running everything else in the system. The Blue Sea panel switch is the on/off switch for the main cabin lights, secondary is the dimmer control.

Glad things are moving forward for you. Looking forward to some pics of your build.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
openroad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Got it. Ok Thanks.
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Did you use the silver or black puck lights that illuminate the kitchen area?

Charlotte, NC
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Acegoo silver finish, warm white LED.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

One last question, what was your reasoning behind the blue sea dimmers? They look very nice, but are more expensive than many other options for PMW dimmers.

This being a subject that I don't know much about, I am curious why you decided to go that route?

Thanks in advance. Great and inspiring build that I plan to emulate!

Charlotte, NC
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:
Thanks for the response.

One last question, what was your reasoning behind the blue sea dimmers? They look very nice, but are more expensive than many other options for PMW dimmers.

This being a subject that I don't know much about, I am curious why you decided to go that route?

Thanks in advance. Great and inspiring build that I plan to emulate!

Dimming LED's is not straight forward like incandescent lighting. The voltage has to be regulated or you'll get flickering. There are a lot of crappy dimmers out there and I had a hard time finding something middle of the road. I wanted quality hardware that I wouldn't have to worry about and BlueSea stuff is always great . It has some cool features like memorizing you last setting and timed exit where the lights will stay on until you get into bed - fancy land yacht stuff. The Contura switches are really nice. Good luck with your build!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

I need help!
Trying to use Vanuber's great instruction at the beginning of this thread to figure out which wires to use to run all of the house loads from the house battery.
I'm running a 12V compressor fridge and also want the sink pump, stereo and USB outlets to draw from the house battery.
I'm also going to have alternator only charging for a 300Ah LiFePo4 in the closet.
Do I need to use the battery relay under the driver seat? In this setup is the alternator wire on 86 needed?
Do I need to maintain the fusebox behind the driver seat? Seems like losing that would kill the LED panel. Is that needed if all I want is water tank indicator? I'm going to have better ways to gauge battery level so don't mind losing that.
Where can I grab power for the sink pump? The wires under the sink merge behind the cabinet and apparently somewhere in back the green and yellow wire for the sink pump split out and head to the tank. But I cannot figure out how to connect into that.

Also including a wiring diagram that I would love input on!

R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

I finished my install over the weekend. It was laborious, but it went great thanks to this thread!

VERY pleased with the Blue Sea switches and dimmers.
I decided to mount my aux fuse block underneath the false floor under the sink. Right next to my 100aH lifeP04 battery that is underneath the drivers seat.

I didnt have time to take finished pics, but I will post more later.

I installed
6 puck lights and 2 dimmers just like Vanuber did. I decided to remove the ugly factory light in the process.

Wired up the 12v chest fridge. I ran the wiring underneath the laminate floor.

Wired up a plug for the light strip for my ARB awning

Also installed a battery management system from Renogy

I plan on using the on/off plug that Renogy provides to turn the battery on and off

I didnt have time to take any finished pictures, but here are a few throughout the process

Charlotte, NC
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:

Do I need to use the battery relay under the driver seat? In this setup is the alternator wire on 86 needed?
Do I need to maintain the fusebox behind the driver seat? Seems like losing that would kill the LED panel. Is that needed if all I want is water tank indicator? I'm going to have better ways to gauge battery level so don't mind losing that.
Where can I grab power for the sink pump? The wires under the sink merge behind the cabinet and apparently somewhere in back the green and yellow wire for the sink pump split out and head to the tank. But I cannot figure out how to connect into that.
[/img]

I think this section of my original post answers most of the questions above. Basically, you are replacing the existing fuses and relay with the new system:

I wanted the sink faucet, pump, and LED panel to run off the auxiliary battery. This ended up being pretty straight forward and the battery gauge now shows the house battery charge level – 1) disconnect wires from the relay under driver’s seat, 2) disconnect from the fuse block and tie these wires together, 3) disregard the fridge wire, and 4) preserve the remaining lead for a fused connection to the new system:

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:
I finished my install over the weekend. It was laborious, but it went great thanks to this thread!

Looks awesome. Glad you like the Blue Sea dimmer; their stuff is great. I love seeing how everyone does it differently to suit their needs. How do you like the LEDs?
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
R0Batt wrote:

Looks awesome. Glad you like the Blue Sea dimmer; their stuff is great. I love seeing how everyone does it differently to suit their needs. How do you like the LEDs?

The LEDs are great! Just like you said, on the dimmest setting they put no strain on your eyes. 10/10. I like the aluminum construction as well.

Great recomendation

Charlotte, NC
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:
Vanuber wrote:
R0Batt wrote:

The LEDs are great! Just like you said, on the dimmest setting they put no strain on your eyes. 10/10. I like the aluminum construction as well.

Great recomendation

Good deal!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:

Did you remove your driver swivel base? Satisfied with the outcome? I might remove mine and add it to another Vanagon.
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:

Did you remove your driver swivel base? Satisfied with the outcome? I might remove mine and add it to another Vanagon.

Absolutely worth it. It made it possible to install a 100aH lifeP04 battery and various electronics underneath that seat instead of other valuable storage space in the westy.

Still trying to sell the swivel

Also still trying to located a non-swivel seat to replace my driver seat and make it back to factory height. It's not bad sitting a little lower in the meantime.

Charlotte, NC
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:

I think this section of my original post answers most of the questions above. Basically, you are replacing the existing fuses and relay with the new system:

Thanks for the instructions - this is where I'm at

Deleted black fuse box and the fridge wire. 87 wire is now connected to 6 fuse box under driver seat. Negative for the pump circuit is on a different fuse panel in the hidden compartment. The relay is still there with only 3 wires - I'm not sure it is serving any purpose any more.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
Vanuber wrote:

Thanks for the instructions - this is where I'm at

Deleted black fuse box and the fridge wire. 87 wire is now connected to 6 fuse box under driver seat. Negative for the pump circuit is on a different fuse panel in the hidden compartment. The relay is still there with only 3 wires - I'm not sure it is serving any purpose any more.

I think some people use the ignition switch in the relay for some things, but it really serves no purpose in your setup as you are bypassing it and running directly to your aux battery.

I would check your your wire gauges. Those 30A loads coming off the DC|DC charger are significant. How did you route wiring from the DC|DC to your starting battery?
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

10 AWG is what I have in there - rated to 30A. My understanding (possibly wrong) is that the ratings are for continuous loads (3 hours or more) and I'm not expecting to be charging at that high a load for very long. I have a 40A breaker on that wire coming from the starter side.

I have not routed the wire from starter to house battery yet. I may bring it to a shop to get them to put it on a lift and fish it through. I gave it a little try and could get across.

There is a decent size wire in the drivers side box coming from the starter battery - any chance I could tie a cord to that and pull it from the starter battery side?
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

BTW - how did you wire your radio? I thought I could run a wire from the fuse panel to the yellow on the stereo, and then use the red ignition trigger wire that was already there. Turns out there is no red wire (it was connected to the yellow wire to bypass the key) so I'm trying to figure out what wire I can use to be powered off the house battery and triggered from the ignition.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: