Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Added Adjustable Lumbar Support to my EVC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Added Adjustable Lumbar Support to my EVC Reply with quote

Since the EVCs were built using work versions of the Eurovan, they came with pretty stock seats. I really like to have adjustable lumbar support for long trips, so I decided to add it to my 1997 EVC.

The following video at YouTube was very helpful for this project. I followed all of his steps basically .... https://youtu.be/d_XJB90NEsQ

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Step 1 - find a replacement seat back frame that includes manual lumbar adjustment - most old GLS models had this feature. I found mine on eBay from WolfAuto. A side benefit to this for me was that foam backing for the GLS seat was from 01 I think and it was in much better shape than mine from 1997. The side bolsters were stronger. It also included seat heaters, which I pulled off, since I'm not trying to fully wire the van with OEM seat heaters. I also purchases a lower seat cushion portion of the seat separately, because I wanted a better foam underlay (the side bolsters on my seat were pretty shot).

Step 2 - disassemble the replacement seat parts. This will require unhooking several upholstery rods/stays. I found that it was much easier to do this by accessing the back of the seat frame.

Step 3 - disassemble your van's stock seat frame sections. There were way fewer upholstery rods/stays in my 1997 seat.

Step 4 - decide which seat cushions are the best and use those. You might have to cut the foam from around the lumbar control adjustment on the side of the seat back if using your old foam.

Step 5 - wash your upholster while it's off - I did mine by hand in the sink using a sprayer and then hung dry them outside.

Step - 6 - reassemble everything and viola you've got adjustable lumbar support on the drivers side. This could be done for passenger side as well.

One note - when turning my passenger seat around for camp mode now, you have to play with it a little more than usual - if you move the seat all the way forward first before turning, the front edge of the seat will strike the new lumbar control knob on your driver's seat. Just move the seat back a little and you can finish the swivel.

Some photos from the project ...

Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Added Adjustable Lumbar Support to my EVC Reply with quote

Thank you for posting up the pictures and the link to the video on upgrading the seats. I have been thinking about putting in seat heaters into my 1995 EVC and going through your post is a great prep on taking these things apart. How long did the process take you?
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Added Adjustable Lumbar Support to my EVC Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
Thank you for posting up the pictures and the link to the video on upgrading the seats. I have been thinking about putting in seat heaters into my 1995 EVC and going through your post is a great prep on taking these things apart. How long did the process take you?

I took everything apart in a couple of hours. After hand washing the upholstery sections (my upholstery from the 1997 EVC) I let everything dry overnight. Then about another hour or two putting everything back together.

I did wash the upholstery from the donor seats in the front load washer on gentle - there was a ton of sticky gummy residue that needed to be washed out. The fabric was different on the donor seats and was basically dry when it came out of the spin cycle of the front load washer.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Added Adjustable Lumbar Support to my EVC Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, @HeyCrutch! I didn't even know this was an possible option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: