Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia return to original seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

We have a 1968 Ghia convertible that had some other seats in it. We have the originals from the prior owner but I'm wondering if we have everything we need to get them back in? Any suggestions very much appreciated. These are showing what is in the car pan and the bottom of the seats now that I have the old coverings off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Looks like original tracks to me, unless someone put 69 and later tracks in for 69 and later seats you should be good to go.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

I have a '68 Ghia and the original seats.

Are you worried about the seats or the tracks? I can take some measurements and have photos of the original seats, stripped and showing also the original padding, etc.

Let me know where I can help. Chris M
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I have everything that should be there to make the seats work, back in the car. A photo of the seat bottom and pan runner tracks would be awesome.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

I have to ask.
You have the seats.
Have you tried to put them on the tracks?
That would answer your questions.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Does these photos help?

Your seats appear to be correct.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

And another showing the rails on the bottom of the seat.

Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Jeffrey8164 yes we have the seats but haven't tried putting them in. Was checking to see if someone knew if what we have looks complete.

kiwighia68 thank you. The photos are very helpful
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Hartfiel, your seat bases need some minor work before the test fitting. The actuator lever with black knob at the one corner is for the front-to-rear seat position. The lever, and the rear end of the flat metal bar with the notches needs to be well lubed so that the bar easily swings up & down.

The notches in the bars flip down to contact the 2 prongs on each seat track, which holds the seat in position when the actuator lever is let go.

Also, the metal rod that goes across the seat from the lever over to the matching flat bar on the other side of the seat appears to have more bends than on kiwighia's frame. You should straighten those bends so that the right side flat bar gets full movement. That bar also needs to be lubed at the front and rear ends/receptacles just as on the other side of the seat frame.

The seat bottom has the 2 channels which slide onto the 2 tracks on the floor. Run a wire brush into those channels to clean out dirt, carpet debris, etc. Put a piece of cloth/shop rag over the end of a small flat-blade screwdriver and drag the screwdriver along the channels for final cleaning. Prior to testing the frame on the tracks, apply a thin smear of grease onto the 2 tracks so that the frame channels slide easily.

Do you have the two backrests?
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Does the seat tip lever, to get in the back seat go in the middle of the car on the driver's seat? Or outside of the passenger seat, please? Our seats were out so we don't know which is which. Would hate to put them in opposite of how they should be. Thank you so much!
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

I just looked in the owner's manual and figured it out. Sorry should have thought of that first. I Googled and couldn't find my answer so came here next. It actually looks like it's the recline lever not the seat tilt I was asking about. Thank you all so much!
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 1968 Ghia seat used the button trim? I watched a beetle restoration video and it had the button trim on the high back bucket seats. I've not seen them in photos of Ghias. We're trying to return our car to as original look as possible and now I see buttons are available and wondering if they were used on the 1968 Ghia seats or not. Thank you!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

For the Karmann Ghia, 1968 has one year only high back seats. They have 2 buttons about 6 or 7 inches down from the top.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

For finding details, a great resource is photos of Ghia auctions on BAT. Most cars have well over 100 photos that stay on the site indefinitely. Here's a link to all Ghia's that are on BAT:
Lots of interesting details are discussed in the comments as well.
https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/?era=1960

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Hartfiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Thank you!
Peeteboy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Hey I hate to hi jack your thread but I thought it might be better then starting a new one.

Im trying to assemble the seats in my 68 Ghia that were apart when I purchased recently. Does anyone know a source for a parts diagram or detailed assembly instructions? I cant find any "How to's" that have the same looking seat adjuster parts!
I cant figure our how to get the seat to fold forward when the lever on the vertical side is moved up. It only actuates the lock cam that it is directly linked to down below not to the opposing side cam arm do hickey!

I have one super thin solid rod left over and Im pretty sure that is the missing link, maybe , but I cant figure it out.

Thanks and if I should just start a new thread for this just let me know. It feels better hiding my stupidity in someone else's thread I guess Confused
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Have you learned about the Stickies Section in the Ghia forum? There's lots of great threads there under The title "Follow the best HOW TO thrreads".

Here's one in particular that might help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4845789

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Peeteboy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Have you learned about the Stickies Section in the Ghia forum? There's lots of great threads there under The title "Follow the best HOW TO thrreads".

Here's one in particular that might help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4845789

Yes Ive gone to both of the 68 resto links . I've gone to the couple seat stickies but nothing on parts or rebuilding a 68.

As far as I can tell a 68 doesn't have the same nibbles as earlier or later. I could be wrong but everything I've read or watched the parts don't match up.

I will go thru that link you sent me more thoroughly this time and maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you for the heads up!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

I have a 68 Ghia so I went out to see if I could get any information that would be helpful. There is a locking mechanism at the base of the seat bottom that spans the width of the seat. Only the ends are exposed. The bar that connects them is under the upholstery. The two hooks and the bar between them appear to be one piece but I didn't take it apart to see under the upholstery. The outside hook is a bit different as it's the controlling side. These hooks engage with a pin on both arms of the back rest and this is what locks the back rest in place.

When the button on the upper seat back is in it's normal low position, the seat back cannot move forward. The picture is confusing, but if the seat back is pushed forward, the pins rise up into the hooks on both sides.

However, when the button is raised, it slides up against the hook on the outer side only, preventing the pin from engaging with the hook, but since the hooks are connected by that bar, both hooks are held away from the pins which allows the seat back to move forward. Hope that helps. By the way, I have a 71 and the mechanism is a little different on the 71 but still basically the same principle.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Peeteboy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia return to original seats Reply with quote

[quote="Marcdeb"]I have a 68 Ghia so I went out to see if I could get any information that would be helpful. There is a locking mechanism at the base of the seat bottom that spans the width of the seat. Only the ends are exposed. The bar that connects them is under the upholstery. The two hooks and the bar between them appear to be one piece but I didn't take it apart to see under the upholstery. The outside hook is a bit different as it's the controlling side. These hooks engage with a pin on both arms of the back rest and this is what locks the back

When the button on the upper seat back is in it's normal low position, the seat back cannot move forward. The picture is confusing, but if the seat back is pushed forward, the pins rise up into the hooks on both sides.

However, when the button is raised, it slides up against the hook on the outer side only, preventing the pin from engaging with the hook, but since the hooks are connected by that bar, both hooks are held away from the pins which allows the seat back to move forward. Hope that helps. By the way, I have a 71 and the
mechanism is a little different on the 71 but still basically the same

That makes perfect sense! I didn't stop and think of that because when I tried it it didn't disengage the inside arm and I assumed I was missing a linking aspect but in reality I think its the temporary but to small cotter type pins that lock the two outside mechanism to the inside rod that allow to much slop and therefore not enough pivot on the inside!

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time do take the pics and spell it out for me. Much appreciated.

Now I need to find out why I have to much slop between the j hooks if you will and the face of the control know.
Its sloppy and I don't get a good detent action when I switch the backrest. Like I'm missing a spacer or something.

I'll try and figure this out on my own for now,lol.

Thanks again Marcdeb!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: