Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Thanks VW_Jimbo, great advice as usual. I have a spare set of boots, so I will re-install using your suggestions. Rather do it now then....... yeah.

This weekend, I got new NGK BR5SH plugs and Bosch wires in, and set the points. They, the coil and the condenser are the ones that were there 3 years ago. When I tested the coil, primary windings were a reasonable 3.9 Ohms. I could NOT even get a reading on the secondary (middle) windings, my "continuity beep" didn't even make a sound, so I assume the coil is bad. (burned out?) I will get new points and condenser too. sigh......

I have the original vacuum advance distributor-checked the diaphragm and it seems to be ok. Holds the vacuum and seems to advance ok. No electronic ignition for me, no "009". I want to just run stock.

I am still planning on the test run-I plan on using the bell housing I got from a Samba seller, and will probably get a new starter motor too, with the bearing. I can use it for the car if I need to Wink

But, no bench testing yet-waiting for parts, and maybe this weekend? I can only hope. Maybe the weather will get warmer. Yesterday it was 50 degrees and overcast.
And oh yeah! My Sapphire XV radio showed up from Ebay, so I will see if I can get that on the bench and get it going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: It's getting closer!! Reply with quote

Yeah, it's getting warmer, and it's getting closer to start up for the first time in what, 3 years?
The Sapphire XV radio works! Yeah, I hooked it up, she sounds good. Might need a little cleaning, but I am hopeful.

This weekend, I got the new points/condenser installed, but Jbugs didn't have the Beru coil in stock, so I am "coil-less"-waiting for them to ship. I MAY just get a coil from O'Reilleys.

BTW, setting the points/installing the condenser-2 things.
1) the condenser wire is waay too short-I had to work it a bit to make it fit
2) Points are set to .40mm, NOT inches!! Yeah, I set them to .044 inches (hey, you can do it with a .016, a .014, and a .010, just so you knew)
OOPS! That's supposed to be .4mm, which is, of course, .016 inches.
Glad I didn't try to start it.....

SET UP
-Engine set up on furniture dolly.
-Bell housing used, obtained from a user here on Samba.
-Remote switch from Amazon
-no coil, no fuel, no wire to coil with on/off switch (yet)
-power from F150 truck battery, revved at 1500-2000 rpm.

I hooked it up (with a really long jumper cable-can you tell?) and gave 'er a crank.

Link
[/url]
She's alive, at least partially. I'm hoping to shorten the power cables-maybe give a little more amperage to the starter when I fuel and "give 'er the spark"... Stand by for more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: It's ALIVE! Reply with quote

So today was the day.
Do or die. Carpe diem et al. After more than 3.5 years, I was gonna start the engine. She was static timed, the whole shebang. Here we go...
I got everything checked, rechecked, hooked up everything, filled the carb bowl with a little squirt bottle, and power on. Nice click heard, it’s go time.
Hit starter. One roll, then there she went. It was literally music to my ears.

Link

I let her go a few minutes then did it again, and again, and again. Idles well, no smoke, no leakage, all good.
Success! Little tear... It's been a long time folks. Dancing
Now for details.
First: Lessons learned and remembered:
1) Aftermarket plug wires are crap. I used the “old ones” and they were beautiful, truly. They fit like a champ, and they had that nice rubbery feel. WIN!
2) Much more solid starter “umph” when you ground to the starter and not the engine case bolt.
3) Three year old batteries are NOT maintained with a trickle charger. Mine read a dismal 10.2V. It might be junk. Sad
4) Engine runs about 2 minutes on a bowl filled with a small squeeze bottle. I used regular, no ethanol. I kept all the big cans of gas faaar away and had a fire extinguisher right behind me, just in case.
5) A dwell meter still works fine after being in a box for more than 35 years.. yeah-35 years. It’s been that long fellas. Last time I used a dwell meter was on my 1971 bus, probably about 1988. Jeez.

Details: 1971 engine AExxxxxx ; I THINK it’s the 60 hp engine. Did I mention how GOOD it sounded?
I did an “upper” rebuild, stock Mahle pistons and cylinders, rings, etc. New flywheel seal, etc. Good end play, no bad juju so I left the bottom end alone. I think someone rebuilt the engine before, several subtle and not so subtle clues.
Dwell honestly looked a little high-I read 60°. Should be closer to 40°. I have a one-hose vacuum original distributor. Timing seemed pretty good-static timed at the mark, or 5° ATDC. A little lag when I went to rev it, I did NOT see any fuel spray from the accelerator pump nozzle when I checked. Clogged?
No oil leaks, she was a dry as a baby with a new diaper.
Oil pressure switch is working-at least my test light on the oil switch and the coil went out when she started up, so I guess that means oil pressure is a go.
I let er’ rev a few times or two or three when I got ‘er going a bit-I read somewhere where you are supposed to do that for a few minutes or so on the first start up.
Other details are found in previous posts. Not gonna bore ya.

What’s next? Well, reset dwell, recheck timing, probably redo that accelerator pump and check that little ball valve-didn’t do it the first time… Probably recheck valves also, making sure they’re spec’ed at .006in. Then put ‘er to bed and get to sanding, priming , sealing and painting. Maybe I’ll have someone else do the final base coats…

Air filter cleaned, painted and ready. I even checked the little thermostat in the air cleaner. I was curious ok? It works. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, the flaps opened. Gotta have good cooling... "O" open "C" closed, in case ya wondered. Yeah, I know the "C" looks like a "U".

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Thu May 11, 2023 8:25 am; edited 4 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Congratulations! That is such a great feeling!!!

Be sure to clean the distributor points after adjusting them, or clean your feeler gauges. Seen a few sets of points fry from dirty tools!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Onward to the finish Reply with quote

So the motor runs. Yay!
Now it's time to do the stuff that needs to be done to get the darn thing OTR (on the road).
So this weekend et al, I started with the fenders, lots and LOTS of sanding; will do much more sanding this week and beyond, hopefully get them, the doors, the body and the rest of all other parts/pieces epoxy primed and then primed and sanded for final basecoat and clear coats. No that's not a repeat;epoxy primer is for the bare metal and filler areas, the second "prime" is the 2K sandable primer. My contacts say that epoxy primer is not meant to be a "sandable" primer.
So, there's that.
So that's a lot of sanding. Some minimal filling/body repair still needed;gotta fix some rust-scuffed areas, you know what I mean...
....Or maybe some scratch repair.
Yeah, when I had the body on the dolly, let's just say I MAY have scratched the roof a bit. OK, maybe more than a bit when I moved it around in the garage-up into the garage opener-several times. Yeah, like this several....oops! Fortunately most were just into the paint, but in a few areas it reached the base metal. Sad

Well, so now it looks like this- you get the drill. (sigh)

.. and there's the "fiddly bits" as I refer them-things like getting the tail lights ready for paint....

After-------------------------------------------------------------------------Before

Hey, ya gotta get 'em shiny right? Well, lots more sanding and prep there too. So, that's my next few weeks.
My plan (and it isn't written in stone) is to try and handle the primers, the sanding, then let someone else do the finish coats and clear cloats. I just don't know if I want to try and handle that in the ol' garage....
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Dude you are so motivated now. Let slip the dogs of war!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Dude you are so motivated now. Let slip the dogs of war!

Buggeee thanks for the "attaboy".
I got to tell you, tho, I feel like I'm in that movie "Groundhog Day". Same ol same ol'...... Just when I "get ahead", something else reminds me I ain't done yet...repeat....

I am finally at peace with my painting decision. It takes a while. but I have to prep not only the body and the fenders, but the tail light holders, the doors, etc etc ad nauseum.. wow... Lots of sanding.

Then I have got to get the "DIY paint booth" ready (read garage), then buy the paint (Epoxy primer, hi build primer, base coat, clear coat) then screw up the courage to get THAT process going.....

Oh, and get some miscellaneous paint tools, including a better then the purple HF sprayer, a nice little masking thingee (it looks really helpful), you know the drill.
Again, as I have said many MANY times in this forum, "perfect it ain't, but it doesn't have to be". OTOH, I don't want the "Earl Schieb Special-I'll paint any car for $119.95!")
Sigh
So it goes.. have a great Memorial day weekend and remember those who gave there all for our Freedom.
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

So it goes.. have a great Memorial day weekend and remember those who gave there all for our Freedom.

The job done looks great, the attitude looks even better. Have a good one.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

agramer1966 wrote:
Chinaclipper wrote:

The job done looks great, the attitude looks even better. Have a good one.

Thanks, It has been a journey. Wink
The weekend journey was for prep... Yup, prep for paint. I'm gonna do it...
Prep in a way first, obviously, to get the outliers (fenders, hood, deck lid, taillights etc ) prepped and ready Done!
Then I got the garage ready. Put up big tarps to cover all walls, had to order one, that will be in tomorrow, and i will have every wall covered and paint-safe. I put in a screen door-I will use that and a box fan for cross ventilation. Filtered air in, out the screen door.
Put in one of those 10,000 lumen lights from HF-you know the ones, Braun lights-they had 'em 25% off, so I got 2. Put one up today, I'll do the other one tomorrow. They are the bomb when it comes to lighting, I highly recommend them.
Then, prep with grease/wax remover, and PAINT.
Epoxy primer- high build primer-sealer-bas coat-clear coat.
I'm hoping by middle of June most will be done...... At least high build primer will be on everything. (fingers crossed)
I read somewhere that it is a good idea to let the primer "age" for a week or so before you paint over it, apparently it shrinks, and could cause cracks in the basecoat.
Oh well.. There ya have it...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

It does shrink. Really odd. Lacquer did not do that. It went down so smooth and fluid! Oh well. Days long gone! I like a thin coat at first, looking like orange peel. Then let that sit for a few minutes, maybe 5, maybe 10, depends on how the air feels. Then go back with light coats till the new drops fill in between the starting to dry drops. That’s when they all gel together! SMOOTH!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
…Epoxy primer- high build primer-sealer-bas coat-clear coat.
I'm hoping by middle of June most will be done...... At least high build primer will be on everything. (fingers crossed)
I read somewhere that it is a good idea to let the primer "age" for a week or so before you paint over it, apparently it shrinks, and could cause cracks in the basecoat.
Oh well.. There ya have it...

I highly recommend reading all the product info available from whatever company makes your paint system. They have a vested interest in their paints performing well! Your recoat/scuff windows will be specific to that brand and type of paint. If you get outside the recoat window you could easily be looking at paint failure from lack of adhesion, depending on what you’re spraying.

Looking good!! Cool
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

I highly recommend reading all the product info available from whatever company makes your paint system. They have a vested interest in their paints performing well! Your recoat/scuff windows will be specific to that brand and type of paint. If you get outside the recoat window you could easily be looking at paint failure from lack of adhesion, depending on what you’re spraying.

Looking good!! Cool

Thanks, and roger that Robert. I am using the Shop Line PPG paint, and there is a pretty definite window for the JP 375 epoxy primer, (72 hours). However, once it is sprayed, and the JP202 2K high build primer/surfacer is on that, I should be ok with the wait after for sealer. Again, epoxy first, stay inside the 72 hour window, then 2k after that. Then sand, more sand then seal, then base, etc etc etc.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Sounds like you’re on top of it. Carry on!! Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Painting has started Reply with quote

Yes painting has started.
After many attempts, I FINALLY got things together.

A few things learned and filed under "painting the bug"
1) Do NOT attempt to paint the car in 90°+ heat. No, it's not the paint-you made sure your paint and hardener and reducer could work in the heat.-you will drip and sweat like a water fountain and get said water everywhere unless you take steps. Like taping the gloves around your wrist so they won't leak etc.
Maybe next time you'll start earlier in the day, like 8:00am?
2) No matter what you think and plan and get, you will always need more paint. You need more paint? Oh, sorry, that paint only comes in gallons argh....
3) A good spray gun is worth its weight in gold; even a minor upgrade spray gun is better than the $12 HF gun.
4) It is not easy to figure out HOW to get the hood, the deck, the doors, the tail lights, and four fenders sprayed in a small space.
5) Paint is NOT cured even if it's dry to the touch. Argh. Ask me how I know that... grumble.....
6) Preparation is MAJOR when you spray paint in your garage. I'm talking wall covering, ventilation, toolbox cover, etc etc. But also, having ALL your tools needed for the job, including, lid openers, mixing sticks, pain pails, water filters, new air hose, new filters in respirator, overall covering, googles, etc etc ad nauseum. Once bitten, twice shy. Last time I painted I didn't prepare as extensively and it was MUCH tougher.

Hehehe I DO appreciate more than ever my new 10,000 lumen Braun HF downlights though.
Amazing how a coat of primer can expose some of your bodywork flaws you didn't see before. Sigh.....

Anyway, on the whole, the plan was to get the "peripherals" painted first, doors, fenders, hood, rear deck, and lights, epoxy painted AND 2K primer-ed.
Mission accomplished.
Yeah I know, I have lots more sanding ahead, on these guys.

Then maybe MAYBE next week, get the body sanded and ready for its turn.
Already have the garage cleaned up, swept, and ready for whats next.

You can see the body under its tarp, patiently waiting.......Hey three years? Yeah you can wait a few more weeks.....
Yippee....
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Long Hiatus! Reply with quote

Wow!
Well, welcome back.
Yeah, a smart philosopher (OK John Lennon) once said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" So, last few weeks have been very hectic. Many MANY distractions; "other plans" like vacations with the grandkids (we went to California-rented a beach house... yeah) et al. Life, right? You mean it doesn't revolve around the VW work???

OK, back to the beetle.

First up, finish the masking and get ready for the body primer coat..
Oh-but wait! More body work that you thought you were done with ..
Yeah, that sanding brings up many ghosts you thought were buried...
Hahahha..
So.. Finish the mask, finish the body work you THOUGHT you'd done already, and THEN paint with primer already, PLEASE.

I like the look. Works for me....

And for the front end stuff, I REALLY didn't want to deconstruct the front end for paint.. so.. I "mask" everything. I actually used long strips of masking paper, about 3-4" wide, 2-3 feet long and wrapped 'em around everything that was round and tape 'em on. Really worked pretty good. I'll put trash bags or something over the tires when I spray.

So, sand and body fill, and then MAYBE paint early next week, at least the prime..
Fingers crossed....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Hiatus! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
Wow!
Well, welcome back.
Yeah, a smart philosopher (OK John Lennon) once said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" So, last few weeks have been very hectic. Many MANY distractions; "other plans" like vacations with the grandkids (we went to California-rented a beach house... yeah) et al. Life, right? You mean it doesn't revolve around the VW work???..

We’re you near my sandbox? Would have meet you for a beer or 2.

Bug is looking great! Totally agree that spraying a Bug in a garage is difficult. I learned to spray limited parts one day, then a week off. Repeat, repeat, repeat…. You get the picture!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Progress! Reply with quote

This weekend I was able to get a few things done and "in the books". Big steps for me. I was able to spray the body with an epoxy primer and a 2K sand-able primer. Again, "preps is everything" when ya paint, and I took a while to get everything set up. I had all my gear out, the filters, the paint, everything was good. All and all, between the epoxy primer and the 2K primer, it took the better part of the Saturday.

From the back

Left rear quarter; I have said I believe this was my best body-worked panel.

Here's what it looked like a looong time ago. Qu'elle differance, non?
It's gonna be real fun for me to do the before and after (and during) photos.

...And the right side.

After Saturday, I decided I was gonna allow the primer some time to harden., and do what it does for a few weeks before I start the hand block sanding process.
OK , in truth, I'd love to start like tomorrow, but it just isn't in the cards. So, it will have to wait. Block sanding, then sealer, then top coat and maybe clear coat, depending on the final top coat I use.
BTW, I understand VW didn't use a 2 stage paint in those days; they had a no clearcoat top coat. Can anyone verify that?

So Sunday, I needed to do something, so I got the door panels out and went to work on those. Firstly, I cleaned, painted, and got the window regulators working. They were stuck, big time. I don't want to get new ones. I went to Slades site where he has a GREAT video for rejuvenating old ones. Thanks Slade.

Link

Before and after..... can ya tell?

Then, taking the bull by the horns, I decided to try and redo the pockets on then front panels that had unglued and were sagging after how many years? I did a little research and decided on the adhesive to use, and got it done. No pictures, but I found that by a) stretching the vinyl pocket "holders" on the backs of the panels with a heat gun and b) reading and FOLLOWING the directions on the side of the adhesive spray can, it made a pretty good repair. I used 3M 90 spray adhesive, I cleaned both sides with a fine 3M scuff pad, then I sprayed BOTH sides and let it set 3-5 minutes before I joined them. Just for kicks and giggles I got my hard rubber roller out and pushed that real hard, and then put weights on the glued areas and let it dry. It's pretty solid, I think. I'll follow up and let ya know how they hold.

Yeah yeah, I'll deep clean the vinyl panels too when it gets time to put 'em in, don't worry. I was just happy I can hopefully make the OEM "originals" work and not spend the bucks on new ones.

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Great to see progress! Keep up the good work🙂😎
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

It looks fantastic! Let the sanding begin LoL Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looks REALLY GOOD!

Get those lights working good. Spray some water on the panels and take a good look at the reflection. Tells you how the paint will look! If you see a clear reflection, like a mirror, then go check another panel. If you see a wavy mess, start filling and sanding!

This is where the time is CONSUMED! You gotta make it like glass!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 40

Jump to: