Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

This tool is soooo cool. My new pulley got stuck and was bending trying to remove it with my standard pullers. Pretty sure i ruined the pulley and will have to machine a new one. (Sand Seal) At least it is off. Money well spent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone know the history on crank pulleys? Pretty sure what is correct for a 40HP is a stamped pulley with single notch at 7.5 degrees. Diameter is 6-3/4".

I searched but found no thread with full history. Found a thread on 67 pulleys (smooth) and something suggesting dual notch pulleys for 1300/1500. I think 36HP are 7in diameter.

I need to replace a pulley now....

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You may want a pulley with two notches at 7,5 and 10 degree. For 1964 should have an OD of 170mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
You may want a pulley with two notches at 7,5 and 10 degree. For 1964 should have an OD of 170mm.

Thank you!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Procrastinate: "to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done"

Fear: "an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger"

Irrational: "lacking usual or normal mental clarity or coherence"

Sounds about right. Then you get the point where you say "screw it" and do something.

Using my bad case. The one with corrosion. Cut it to .020". At first the finish was lousy. Rough. Went back for a second pass at higher RPM and slower advance and it looked good. Bearing fit snug.

OK. Irrational procrastinating Fear overcome.

Spent the rest of the day soda blasting and cleaning my other two cases.

Case 1. 8654238 Late Apr 64.
- At STD bore. Needs to go to.020".
- Needs oil galley plugs pulled, galleys cleaned and new plugs made/installed
- Has one tab for the heater box time mount broke off.
- Has a sand seal
- Supper clean case otherwise

Case 2. 8919558 Sept 64
- At .020". Need to go to .040"
- Needs oil galley plugs pulled, galleys cleaned and new plugs made/installed
- Has one piston bolt stripped using some strange 70's rescue bolt. (Image posted April 10th)
- Not as clean of a case. Meaning it did not clean up as nice.

Another opportunity for irrational fear based procrastination. I will probably clean both, align bore both and then start biting my nails again. The first case would be the clear winner if it did not have the broken mount.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

OK. I am done playing with align bore tools. It has been super easy the last few months to blame no progress on the bug on this little side adventure. Time to move on...

I now have two April 64 cases that are freshly align bored to .040" and ready for oil galley cleaning, re-plugging and then building. All other parts are in hand.

Here is a summery of the adventure.

A local VW nut loaned me his align bore tool with pre-set cutters for .020" & .040". I posted this a few months back

Knowing nothing about the tool i had to deep dive. Trust but verify right. How does it work and how do i know these cutters are set right. (Don't shoot me Jim)

Using my mill is set out to do just that. the results were with-in .001". Find a shaft for the cutter to sit tightly on. Find the center of the shaft with the mill. Zero out the DRO. Set the depth gage to zero and find the tip with the mill. You now know where the depth gage is relative to the cutter center. Install the cutter and measure the tip locations. Using some math you now the diameter of the cutter.

But wait. You really care about this measurement on the rod. These are set screw mounted so they bias on the main shaft when mounted. How can i measure that?

I made myself a spring loaded dial indicator jaw to rotate around the shaft. It worked but was not very repeatable. .004" Nowhere good enough. The issue was in the pivot joint. Too much lateral slop when you looking for less than .0005" repeatability.

I even made sure it was not my Chinese indicator using master blocks.
It was not the indicator.

Doing more research i found another motor builder who made a direct measurement micrometer unit. Lets copy that shall we.

The results were very good but i was not able to get the tool to be steady for repeatable measurements. This got me .0015". Not good enough. The issue is keeping steady on the shaft. You can't rotate the tool to find the high spot. hmmm.

At this point i have a dedicated thread in the Engine section for help. More info on the adventure there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779849

I reached out to one of the buys helping me on the thread and he shared with me that the base of the tool needs to have a radii that matches the bore bar diameter really close. That allows you to rotate the tool and stay steady.
Break out the boring bar and lets do this again.

That worked fantastic. .0003" repeatable.

I then measured all of the pre-set cutters on the shaft. I numbered them for repeatable order on the bar and they all measure within .0005" of each other.
and at the correct diameter. OK....

But what about my case that is already at .040" I want to cut it to .060" so lets make another set of cutters so we do not mess up the pre-set ones shall we.

The pre-set ones use standard 1/4" lathe cutters. That is easy but they need a 1/4" square hole. That is not easy and i did not want to buy a $150 broach tool.

Fortunately at work we have 1/8" carbide rods with a flat on one side. Carbide is the right cutting material for these. I ground the tips of these rods like you would a lathe tool. Now i can use a 1/8" diameter hole to hold the cutter. I made a third set of cutter discs and installed these new cutters that can be set to anything. I did a test cut with them at .025" over and they cut just as good as the pre-set ones.

Below is the test cut. You can see the different tool tip design.

OK. Now we are ready.

So the proof is in the pudding. Time to take the plunge and cut.

I am done. Cases are all cut. Lets move on.

Here is the final full kit for the next time this tool is used. This image shows it still has the first gen measuring tool. That tool is of course no longer in vouge and was replaced but you get the point.

Now to gear up for another engine build. I sure hope i do this one right. My wife has reminded me many times i am no engine pro and has already asked me why i don't just buy an engine or have a pro assembly mine. That way this is the last time. All i can say is "I know... I know..." Smile

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

WOW! You are way better to that tool than I have been or the guy(s) before me!

Glad it all worked out and the cases are cut! Nice job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew-
Glad to see you're back at it. You've come too far and invested too much to leave it sit for long.

P.S.-
Where did you get that pulley puller? I never seen one like that. I want one! Surprised
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Matthew-
Glad to see you're back at it. You've come too far and invested too much to leave it sit for long.

P.S.-
Where did you get that pulley puller? I never seen one like that. I want one! Surprised

Thank you.

Puller is here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2445485

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

No images but both April 64 cases are clean, align bored with oil galley plugs pulled and galleys clean. Both have a fresh set of galley plugs made to .0005" oversize and ready to install. Soon....

Tinkered around with making some 40HP oil baffles. Used sheet metal, cam plugs and a shower rod curtain. Just need to weld them up.

Finally got around to prepping my glove box to re-apply felt lining. Sealed and ready to go. Soon...

OCTO is this weekend. Looking for two parts.
1. 40HP pulley to machine for a sand seal.
2. Oil filter Pre-heat tube.

That is all for now.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Looking good sir! Keep it up. I’ve enjoyed your photos and work.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Looking good sir! Keep it up. I’ve enjoyed your photos and work.

Thank you for the comment.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

More engine case prep last night.

Fit all the bearings.
Tested all internal parts for fit. (dizzy shaft, lifters, etc)
Cleaned the case half interface and gave case halves one last cleaning.

Did find two bent 6mm oil pump studs and that my oil pump is for 8mm so a few things to pick up at OCTO this weekend.

- New Oil Pump
- 6mm Oil Pump Studs
- Fuel pump studes
- 1200cc engine gasket kit
- Sand seal
- 1200 stock crank pulley
- Pre-heat tube

I am also on the lookout for a good used aftermarket shifter lock. Do not care what it looks like. All i need are the lock cylinder and key cover flap. Anyone???

I also welded up the oil baffles. Not the best work but they will do.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

Thank you!

... and no dimple.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Been slowly making progress on my engine. Work and moving 7 yards of dirt from my backyard has distracted me some.

I sourced a new proper 40HP 7" pulley and promptly made a holder to mill the oil return off so it works with a sand seal. Sorry no images.

Finally got the short block built. What a trial. I test fit everything without issue and as soon as you apply glue things go south. I would torque things down and the crank would get real tough to rotate.

After three iterations i got it together.

Round 1. Center bearings did not seat well causing drag.
Round 2. Oil pump of all things would hit the cam gear face once the cover plate was torqued.

New oil pump (Thank you NOS VS) and better setting of my bearings and it finally is together and spins freely.

Anyone have a 6mm oil pump cover laying around?

P&C's next. Maybe i will have an engine by the end of the weekend.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Nice job! Glad you got it! I was trying to get over there but I failed!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

New oil pump (Thank you NOS VS) and better setting of my bearings and it finally is together and spins freely.

Glad to hear it and to see it all come together.

I've heard the aftermarket camshaft bearings will cause everything to lock up once you assemble the engine (not all just one brand).
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice job! Glad you got it! I was trying to get over there but I failed!

Thank you Jim.

heimlich wrote:
Glad to hear it and to see it all come together.

I've heard the aftermarket camshaft bearings will cause everything to lock up once you assemble the engine (not all just one brand).

No camshaft bearings in this engine. IMO it was mostly the oil pump and a little of my inexperience.

Thank you.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Sooo... Remember that engine i got together for the last time... Well it came back apart this week.

The darn perfectionist in me was waking up at night not feeling right about the situation. Two things were bothering me.

1. Cam journal wear.
2. Oil galley plugs.

Cam journal. I don't know how i missed this but i did. With the case halves clean & gooped up, with the crank in and all ready to go together out of nowhere i see it... One half of one cam journal had a ridge in it. Big enough to easily catch a finger nail. I should have stopped then but did not... (Red below)

I proceeded to call EVERY machine shop i could from Fresno down to OC and no-one does cam bearings anymore except Rimco. (Berg, Car Craft, Brothers, Rancho, Metalcraft, Old Speed, etc...) Rimco would not pick up their phone. I could find no-where online to show me what the tool looks like so i was not going to try this myself. What to do... read on.

Oil Galley plug. I tried to talk myself into it being OK but the reality is that one of the large oil galley plugs went in softer than it should have. I have Loctite 609 on all the plugs but the .0005" press was just not there. It probably is fine but i am not certain. (Blue below)

Sooo.... Case is at DK Machine in Norwalk getting cam bearings cut. I did not know anything about Don or his background so i stopped by and spent some time with him yesterday. Man what a shop. My dream. He showed me how the cam cutter works and we talked shop longer than i should have.

What is another month....

Located a really nice 6mm oil pump cover. Thank you to you know who you are.

I have a long weekend so maybe i will spend a day on the body and get some small stuff done.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Bug is done. Spend the last few hours and powered through. Turned out great.

And then i woke up from my dream realizing none of that is true. Still a nice original 64 bug whoever owns it should be proud

Back to reality...

Finally a nice day out to re-flock the glove box. Turned out better than i ever imagined. The repair i did is hardly noticeable and it look nice!

Finished up installing the shifter lock

Finally tackled putting heli-coils in the steering wheel. Had to break out the microscope to cut off the excess coils. Not alot of options for M3.5x.6 helicoils out there. Mine were too long. Pucker factor here for sure.

Noticed my fresh steering wheel already has cracks. Oh well..

Installed a horn relay utilizing the original wire harness. Did not have to cut any wires. No battery power right now so not sure if i did it right but i think i did. I think the steering wheel can go back on now.

Installed new disc brake front hoses. If you remember way back the ones that came with the kit hit both the tie rod and body. These are from So. Cal Imports. I overlaid black heat shrink to hide the SS they are made from. Pleased. (Man it is dirty under there...)

Last i pulled the steering coupler apart to paint the metal. It was rusting already. Poor zinc job from me. Oh well....

The plan was to get the bus out today but not sure that will happen...

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I have an Engine that i believe in finally. Braved "Tropical Storm Hilary" yesterday late afternoon and went out to see Don at DK machine to pick up my long block. Super pleased with the work and attention to detail. I don't have to think through all the things i may have "forgot". Maybe ill get an engine back into the bug in the next month.

DK also put cam bearings into the case and my spare case. Pretty much no-one in So. Cal doing that any more.

Anyways...

Cam bearings.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: