Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced front body mounts and doors no longer close.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced front body mounts and doors no longer close. Reply with quote

It looks like they "fabricated" a patch for the front firewall, that whole piece would need to be replaced. The nap hat also looks to have been replaced but only tack welded into place. The body is supported in that area by the nap hat and the firewall, also the support from the heater channels there was gone. I think they put the new metal in but didn't bother to correct for the sag caused by the rot. The hard part is not welding in the new parts, it is getting things properly aligned.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced front body mounts and doors no longer close. Reply with quote

Found some answers by looking at my Super. I may end up cutting out the firewall from this one. Haven't decided what to do with it yet since the heater channels are perfect but the upper body is rough. I have another body for it, I don't know the condition of the heaters in that one.

But I can clearly see the body to floor joint here. I think on the beetle there was some rust and some hacking going on and not so sure that got things installed in the right positions. But I don't think getting the body off will be all that hard now that I see what is going on. Do the standard Beetles use that support from the firewall down to the tunnel? Or is that a Super only thing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced front body mounts and doors no longer close. Reply with quote

The support is for Supers. The hacked up piece is this:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/111805451L.html?rrec=true

I would look for an original VW part, the aftermarket ones are crap.

Edit: I am in central PA. I bought an OG section you need and had it shipped from SoCal when I thought I was going to repair my '69 body. I will sell it to you for what I paid...I will have it at the June Bug Classic show this weekend if you are going and you want it let me know.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced front body mounts and doors no longer close. Reply with quote

Sent you a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: