Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

About a month ago I bought my 1973 tintop camper. It is pretty exciting for me because its the first time I see a bus that is the original color and doesn't have any bondo at all in South Florida. Especially with my last experience of buying a bus (which was more bondo than metal),it was happy moment for me bringing it home.

I have a youtube channel where I post video progress of the restoration but I wanted to have an official thread for the bus just in case I come across some problems, because I know the people on the samba are always willing to help. I'll put a link to the playlist of the restoration videos at the bottom of this post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These pictures are from a recent camping trip I took with my brother. The episode where we make the roof rack and go camping will be posted on the playlist in the next coming weeks if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Ev5trq_X6n_xyfd_b201PFU4IlQbwG9
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

Very cool! Nice front plate! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Very cool! Nice front plate! Very Happy

Thanks man. The bus spent most of its life in Texas. I'm pretty certain that is why it is not as rusted out as the buses here in Miami.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in keeping up with my restoration in video form. Here ya go

Link

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

Oh the pain!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

I've nothing but respect for the hard work displayed in your video, pandamanda22. I subscribed to your YouTube channel to keep up with your restoration.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Oh the pain!

Life is pain

creative native wrote:
I've nothing but respect for the hard work displayed in your video, pandamanda22. I subscribed to your YouTube channel to keep up with your restoration.

Appreciate it!
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

It's hard to explain how sketchy it was to get the bus up this high but I can finally get to painting the underside of my new front floor and wheel wells!

These mega jack stands have come in handy

Link

webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

following along on youtube my guy! keep at it Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

We watched you and your brother a couple of years ago and lost track after you did the engine compression test and stored the bus.
Glad to see you back and creating great content. Did you ever tackle the sliding door track?
Thanks for the content.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
We watched you and your brother a couple of years ago and lost track after you did the engine compression test and stored the bus.
Glad to see you back and creating great content. Did you ever tackle the sliding door track?
Thanks for the content.

The sliding door track repair is coming up soon, I'm working my way back from the front of the bus. Finally got the front floor and both doglegs replaced. Once I deal with the wheel wells I will be moving on to the cargo floor/rockers and sliding door track! Glad you enjoy the videos
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

Finally took the dive and built myself a rotisserie

I'll post pics of the process and a video tomorrow
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

So I will probably have the mods change the title of this thread to 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) so I can keep all my info in one place and not start another thread for the swap. I'll try to post as much info as I can but for now here is where I am at for the swap.

I've got my donor car (early 2004 Subaru Legacy) this was one of the last ones they made before DBW came out in the late 2004 models.

Wiring harness removed and then trimmed and labeled

And my final wiring harness (excluding the alternator harness and fuse block)

I am currently working on designing my cooling setup which will be a belly mounted and have been trying to gleam as much information as possible from every skillz thread I can.

I currently have my bus on the rotisserie which I think will make the belly mount customization easier.

I am thinking of doing a similar setup to what this guy did with his split window.

I want to run a custom radiator that will have both attachment points on the same side like so,

any thoughts on a double pass rad like this and then moving the inlet and outlet to the top?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Double-Pass-Aluminum-Radiator-Chevy,23864.html?sku=917340-22

and lastly I found a thread where the guy cut his tank and put the entire original fuel pump/ fuel sensor setup into the stock VW tank. Thoughts on doing something like this?

Once my fuseblock gets in I will attempt to start the engine again with my new harness and if it runs I will be dropping the engine and moving on to rebuilding it. Hopefully doing the 0 mile short block from Subaru like Skillz recommends. Any input is appreciated!
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

My wiring harness worked fine except for throwing an IAC Valve code and idling a bit weird, but nothing that shouldn't be able to be dealt with once its in the bus. I think I'm going to take a break from working on the subaru end and get to installing my funky green rockers and sliding door track!

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

Vangabonders wrote:
My wiring harness worked fine except for throwing an IAC Valve code and idling a bit weird, but nothing that shouldn't be able to be dealt with once its in the bus. I think I'm going to take a break from working on the subaru end and get to installing my funky green rockers and sliding door track!

My family and I are following on YouTube - terrific series!
Muttkutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

Vangabonders wrote:

I enjoyed your Youtube video setting up the EJ25 wire harness! Would you be able to help me? I was wondering where the THICKER Yellow/Blue wire goes? It is either a power wire, or a ground wire, but its hard for me to tell looking at the wire diagram.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 TinTop Restoration Reply with quote

Vangabonders wrote:
So I will probably have the mods change the title of this thread to 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) so I can keep all my info in one place and not start another thread for the swap. I'll try to post as much info as I can but for now here is where I am at for the swap.

I've got my donor car (early 2004 Subaru Legacy) this was one of the last ones they made before DBW came out in the late 2004 models.

And my final wiring harness (excluding the alternator harness and fuse block)

and lastly I found a thread where the guy cut his tank and put the entire original fuel pump/ fuel sensor setup into the stock VW tank. Thoughts on doing something like this?

Once my fuseblock gets in I will attempt to start the engine again with my new harness and if it runs I will be dropping the engine and moving on to rebuilding it. Hopefully doing the 0 mile short block from Subaru like Skillz recommends. Any input is appreciated!

I liked the idea of cutting my VW tank and installing the Subaru in-tank fuel pump but I opted to just try the existing set up and add a 10 ohm resistor in the fuel sensor circuit so that my Subaru fuel gauge reads fairly accurately.

The harness is pretty straight forward isn't it. Mine was a little more in-depth as I extended the wiring up to the front of my bus for the Subaru radio, heater/A/C control unit, cruise control, speedo cluster and a few extras including an anti theft system and additional power + aux battery power to all the interior lights and camping equipment.

Looks like you are well on your way with your swap. I just used the original Subaru rad (belly mount) in my swap and it has worked our well so far.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

Muttkutz wrote:
I enjoyed your Youtube video setting up the EJ25 wire harness! Would you be able to help me? I was wondering where the THICKER Yellow/Blue wire goes? It is either a power wire, or a ground wire, but its hard for me to tell looking at the wire diagram.

It's not a ground wire. It goes from the main relay to the power on the ECM
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

Finally got my funky green panels installed. I used the inner c-pillar that member "Jeremyrockjock" makes. Good stuff!

Link

Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Tintop to Poptop (another EJ25 swap) Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing my nose! She finally feels like she has a soul again!

Link
[/youtube]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: