Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

I’ve been considering adding some NFC charging spots for my phone in the dash, somewhere it could just lay while I’m driving or hanging outside the van. Ideally up front since in the back I already have a usb port there.

Initially I am considering building a small caddy out of wood that could sit up on the top of the dash near the ash tray and that could have the charger built into it.

Just wondering if anyone else has done anything similar or thinking about doing so.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09ZCG31K2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It closes itself around the phone so you know it's a snug fit. The suction pad hasn't failed me yet and it's a b**ch to get off Very Happy Would recommend.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

What year Van?
The dash changed during the production run.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

I have an iphone magsafe wireless charger in my dash. It takes one second to mount and start charging.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
What year Van?
The dash changed during the production run.

83.5 - Metal dash.
_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

I have been wanting to test out the idea of mounting it below the dash itself, accessed via the ash tray I just don't know if there are strong enough charger plates to go through this.

Would love to be able to rest my phone to the left of the ash tray (LHD) and have it charge my phone. I know its a 40 yo van but bringing these things into the future is what all strive for right?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

_Kodiak wrote:
I know its a 40 yo van but bringing these things into the future is what all strive for right?

No.
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
It looks like a Ford Transit.

I do get caught “updating” stuff though. Extensively.
There is remorse……mods are often done without obliterating future restoration options ( for when I’m really really old etc. )

I want a wireless charging pad by the battery cover. Easy access from the slider door to charge the phone while camping etc.
One thing I like about a mag-charger is I don’t “lose” my phone as often.

Brandon have you measured the idle current? It seems feasible that it could be zero, initiated by a magnetic switch.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

_Kodiak wrote:
I’ve been considering adding some NFC charging spots for my phone in the dash, somewhere it could just lay while I’m driving or hanging outside the van. Ideally up front since in the back I already have a usb port there.

Initially I am considering building a small caddy out of wood that could sit up on the top of the dash near the ash tray and that could have the charger built into it.

Just wondering if anyone else has done anything similar or thinking about doing so.

I did this.
https://a.co/d/bqDTqFZ

It opens up and then grabs the phone when it's against the charging surface. Really helped reduce distracted driving.
I leave Waze running while I'm driving and I can keep my eyes forward. With Siri its completely hands-free. Much safer.

I added the Pioneer touchscreen later, it connects to the iPhone via WiFi. It will eventually get moved up onto the dash and
the phone holder will moved to somewhere out of visual range.

_Kodiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
_Kodiak wrote:
I know its a 40 yo van but bringing these things into the future is what all strive for right?

No.
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
It looks like a Ford Transit.

I do get caught “updating” stuff though. Extensively.
There is remorse……mods are often done without obliterating future restoration options ( for when I’m really really old etc. )

Couldn't agree more with this great reminder. To each their own but I'm with you. I usually like to try and keep things as period correct as possible. Hence the consideration to buy a new receiver (the Continental one) just for the aesthetics of it.

Love the idea for a slider charge dock. Might consider that for camping as well.
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

[quote="_Kodiak"]
Sodo wrote:

Couldn't agree more with this great reminder. To each their own but I'm with you. I usually like to try and keep things as period correct as possible. Hence the consideration to buy a new receiver (the Continental one) just for the aesthetics of it.

Love the idea for a slider charge dock. Might consider that for camping as well.

I'm with you both on this, it's just that I spend everyday in my truck. Waze is a huge help when trying to get around the San Francisco Bay Area. Thankfully everything is completely removable and the phone mount is a suction cup.
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

csebern wrote:
I added the Pioneer touchscreen later, it connects to the iPhone via WiFi. It will eventually get moved up onto the dash and
the phone holder will moved to somewhere out of visual range.

I want to install a radio like that, and my plan is to remove the ashtray and have a single DIN housing flush mounted to the dash with the harness routed through the ashtray opening. I'll have to talk to my stereo guy and see what kind of ideas he has for that.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

I think the whole touch screen thing is bad in cars.
I can feel a switch or button without looking. I can't feel anything on a touch screen so I gotta look at small fonts 36" away and refocus on the road rather than just reach out to feel the button/lever/knob.
Touch screen is just clumsy in a car to me.
I do use my phone as music source and sat nav dispite how Google map can send me looping around in odd neighborhoods, I don't love it. But it works better than paper maps...so far controlling music with a head unit but I may swap that out for a Hyfonics knob with a track up/down button so I can use the radio hole as a sunglasses cubby.
The plan is to get the new z-fold 5 for a larger driving screen when it's out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

Point of order: NFC is Near Field Communication. It's on most smart phones and is used for tap-and-pay or other apps for communicating data two ways.

Magnetic inductive (wireless) charging is a separate feature and may not be on a phone that has NFC.

Carry on.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

Touch screens in cars are fine, as long as it's not essential functions are not buried in them. How often are you actually fiddling with the radio, and if you're doing it to the point that you're distracted by it, you should pull over then. I don't even need to type in addresses for navigation, I just use voice control and Google pulls it up. Most of these big screens still have physical volume buttons, though the pictured Pioneer is a slight exception. And now you've suddenly got to reach 36" away to the passenger side to touch the screen that's in the same place as the factory radio? Technophobia is just dumb.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

You do you bro. Radio location is in the stock, my phone is next to the cluster on top of the dash, it's still too hard to read while driving.
Sorry I'm not on the bleeding edge of tech while I'm driving a vehicle from 1985 as my one and only transportation.
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Point of order: NFC is Near Field Communication. It's on most smart phones and is used for tap-and-pay or other apps for communicating data two ways.

Magnetic inductive (wireless) charging is a separate feature and may not be on a phone that has NFC.

Carry on.

NFC and inductive charging are standard on most smart phones. They work together just fine.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

csebern wrote:
steve244 wrote:

Carry on.

NFC and inductive charging are standard on most smart phones. They work together just fine.

Except when you have a phone that has NFC but not wireless charging.

This PSA is for those folks that don't know the difference and try charging their NFC only phone with a wireless charger.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC / Wireless phone charging on dash Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Except when you have a phone that has NFC but not wireless charging.

Is still that a thing? I ask because, just as an example, Apple currently has about 53% share of the smart phone market and every Apple phone since 2017 has wireless charging ability. Android phones had both even earlier.

It also needs to be said that inductive charging and NFC are completely different technologies and don't really affect each other.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: