Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel injector advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkcrowes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to do. I discovered a fuel leak in my 1977 VW Westfalia and found it was coming from one of the injectors. The hose looks ok, but the Ferrule connector closest to the injector was loose. The injector itself seems to be fine. But it's the ferrule connector I'm worried about. I don't know how or if I can replace that? If I get a new hose, can I use a fuel injector hose clamp in place of the ferrule connector? Or do I need to just order a whole new fuel injector assembly? Thanks! - Cory
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

Put a clamp on it just like the one on the other end.

It's odd for it to leak there, but the hose does have to be fully pushed into the ring. Looks like newer hose, maybe whoever changed it chewed up the nipple getting the old one off? (if it's not recent ethanol proof FI hose now's the time to prevent a big fire).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pinkcrowes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

It's odd for it to leak there, but the hose does have to be fully pushed into the ring. Looks like newer hose, maybe whoever changed it chewed up the nipple getting the old one off? (if it's not recent ethanol proof FI hose now's the time to prevent a big fire).

It is a recent line. I haven't taken the hose off yet to see the condition of the nipple but I suppose that's a possibility. The Ferrule clamp closest to the injector was just loose and wiggling around which is where (from what I could tell) the fuel is coming from. But you think just a fuel injector clamp in place of the ferrule clamp will work?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

pinkcrowes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

It is a recent line. I haven't taken the hose off yet to see the condition of the nipple but I suppose that's a possibility. The Ferrule clamp closest to the injector was just loose and wiggling around which is where (from what I could tell) the fuel is coming from. But you think just a fuel injector clamp in place of the ferrule clamp will work?

Yes. The ferrule are not clamps. They do nothing to clamp the line. This simply prevent it from backing off of the nipple. That does not mean it cannot leak.

Before those ferrules were used....all fuel injectors had clamps on both ends of the short piece of hose. The inner once just happened to be a swaged/crimp clamp...but a clamp is a clamp is a clamp.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

Yep I cut those off my stock injectors, removed the aged hose, added some Gates FI hose and and used FI clamps.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

When you go to put the good clamps on, rotate the fuel injectors and clamps so you can get a screwdriver on everything without the injector plugs being in the way.

I also like to trim those injector hoses as short as possible without the injectors touching the fuel rails. Dropping the engine is much easier when the injector rails don't hang up on the body.

The left side injector hoses also set the angle that your fuel line passes through the firewall tin; a few tries for a perfect angle here can eliminate a future engine fire.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

Something like this is what Robbie is talking about, solid advice of course.

Note the clamp style/type (CR12 - GEMI Hose Clamp - 9mm wide) and the clocking of the clamps on the injectors and rails. This is also my preferred way to setup the FI clamps...others may have a different preference:

Ignore the pressure gauge on the test port, that's for testing only. And that bulkhead fitting has been going strong for 13 years:

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector advice Reply with quote

Some T4's have a longer metal fuel rail that sneaks through the tin with a grommet. When you get the setup wrong, and smell gas a few months later, you'll know why.

What do you think all the wetness is from? Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: