Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

I've seen in quite a few threads on here that people recommend having an engine rebuilt professionally rather than rebuilding yourself. I don't mind having something built, but I was recently quoted between 8 and 10k for a 2000 cc rebuild. First of all, is that reasonable? Second of all, if not, do people have recommendations for shops to send an engine to? And finally, if that is about what it should cost to have an engine rebuilt, what are some resources you'd recommend for rebuilding one myself?

I am based in Colorado Springs and would love something more local, but I'm also willing to ship.

I've seen MOFOCO recommended a few times, but on older threads; are they still a good option?
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

empi sells crate engines
they have 1914

https://empius.com/products/empi-1914cc-long-block-engine/
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll check that out! Looks like there's a dealer not far from me. Any idea what a ballpark price for the 1914 would be?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Have you tried Randy Bowman? I believe he has shop not far from you that does quality work. I've found paying a little more for quality pays for itself in the long run. Sure you could get a cheap engine built, but if you have problems with it, who will stand behind their word? The big problem today, is that Chinese parts are found everywhere, and the quality is suspect. This why there's a huge difference in prices these days.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

I believe that Randy was actually the shop that quoted 8-10k... I hear ya about quality, but unfortunately it's just too much for me to spend at the moment. That would be a large majority of the budget for this entire build. If it helps, I'm okay with spending about 6k total on the engine.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

I can't imagine why anyone would recommend that empi crate.

Find a builder not an assembler. To do things right takes time and time = money. There are a number of great builders. Brian E (type E) here on the samba https://type-emotorsports.com/, Annabil Chico (Chico Performance) is great, not to be confused with Chirco in AZ. http://steelbugin.com/ A friend into VW's way longer than me swears by Mark at https://strictlyforeign.com/

so many more good builders. CB Performance, a bunch of guys in the Performance forum etc. Don't buy a box empi / gex / etc
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Really appreciate all the info! I spoke with Roy at MOFOCO earlier today and they seem to offer a nice turn-key package at a price I can swing. Anybody have experience with them? I've seen older threads where people have had good luck, I'm hoping that's still the case.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

I can't imagine why anyone would recommend that empi crate.

supposed to be 'assembled' by a respected builder
I like that they are outright, no core charge that you end up getting screwed on anyway

https://youtu.be/YyiMCNcPzyw
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1183.htm

CB performance engine kits are nice, $5500 for a complete balanced kit

So $8k isn't bad if you want someone to build one out of the same parts. Some shops will cut corners on parts for more profit AKA: JCS, GEX

I don't know if Jack is assembling all the EMPI crate engines or if he just approved all the parts that go in it?

I haven't had much luck with anything EMPI. I bought a set of H beam rods that looked exactly like the CB performance H beams in my previous engine, they were egg shaped bores out of the box, the machine shop had to fix them before they could balance my rotating assembly.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Yep, it seems like 8k is pretty much just what you have to pay at local shops. I'm probably going to be going with a stock 1600 rebuild and doing it myself because I just can't swing that much money. If it turns out that MOFOCO is a reputable shop, then I'd consider going with them though; they have a 1776 turnkey for about 6k that makes the power I'm after. Anybody have any experience with them?
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Make sure you read feedback before you give anyone $5K. There are lots of MOFOCO feedback threads, but one has more recent posts.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justindesigns1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Be grateful it's not a type 4. Add 10k...I'm finding that outright now. Hellava mechanic doin the work so I don't mind it being another 15 to 20 percent. That's what I would tip a waiter right? Good luck man.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Last month i built a 2180 for a customer, labor alone was 31 hours.

Add in the parts and $8k-$10k is quickly reached.

Depends if you have a good used case and all the sheet metal and other reusable parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

kestrel2113 wrote:
Yep, it seems like 8k is pretty much just what you have to pay at local shops. I'm probably going to be going with a stock 1600 rebuild and doing it myself because I just can't swing that much money. If it turns out that MOFOCO is a reputable shop, then I'd consider going with them though; they have a 1776 turnkey for about 6k that makes the power I'm after. Anybody have any experience with them?

I had MOFOCO build me a new engine back in 2006, and other than it spending a few extra days in shipping (got put on the wrong truck and went west instead of east), it's been a very good solid 1600. It's based on an all aluminum case that I asked for, even if it caused me problems down the road that I didn't forsee ... fuel pump vapor lock from heat transfer. I went with a low pressure electric pump, and that fixed it. I've ran it in a few other cars as well, but it's been in my 65 Notch for most of it's life, which is where I put it (bought it for it). I've got no complaints.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
kestrel2113 wrote:

I had MOFOCO build me a new engine back in 2006, and other than it spending a few extra days in shipping (got put on the wrong truck and went west instead of east), it's been a very good solid 1600. It's based on an all aluminum case that I asked for, even if it caused me problems down the road that I didn't forsee ... fuel pump vapor lock from heat transfer. I went with a low pressure electric pump, and that fixed it. I've ran it in a few other cars as well, but it's been in my 65 Notch for most of it's life, which is where I put it (bought it for it). I've got no complaints.

Wow! I am so out of touch with today's prices. I didn't pay half that for the whole car with MOST all NOS rubber. Lucky for me, my '63 type 34 came with a freshly rebuilt 1600 dual port engine. Just finished putting it together and it purrrrs!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kestrel2113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on MOFOCO... I've seen pretty mixed reviews in the feedback forum, but a lot of seems to have been due to COVID wait times (at least recently.)

Yeah, the prices were a shock to say the least lol. I never expected a restoration to be cheap but I also wasn't expecting to pay 8-10k for an engine rebuild. Ah well, you live and learn I suppose.

At this point I'm considering a subaru swap as well since it looks like it would cost less than even MOFOCO. It'd be a shame to go water cooled, but sometimes you gotta go with value.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop recommendations for a 2000cc engine build? Reply with quote

kestrel2113 wrote:
Thanks for the advice on MOFOCO... I've seen pretty mixed reviews in the feedback forum, but a lot of seems to have been due to COVID wait times (at least recently.)

I put a 1600 long block from MOFOCO in my friend's Beetle 8, or so, years ago. It's super smooth and makes good power. I bought my first Bus back last year, and promptly ordered a turnkey engine from them. Still haven't received it, seems they're very backlogged on their builds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: