Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? [Resolved]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Does anybody have a contact number for Andrew Flint other than the main number? I had a conversation with him and he's willing to help but I need to coordinate the delivery.

There does not appear to be an answering machine hooked up. Maybe an email address?

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

He's a member here. Last visited...today. If I lived 140 miles away from him I'd put my van on the annual installment plan of preventative maintenance and make appointments 1-3 months in advance (or six if needed). It's good to see you post here, it seems like it's been awhile.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=213605

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. I read more than I post.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Does anybody have a contact number for Andrew Flint other than the main number? I had a conversation with him and he's willing to help but I need to coordinate the delivery.

There does not appear to be an answering machine hooked up. Maybe an email address?

I sent him a notice you are looking to contact him.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned calling around to places that do transplants to ask about engines that have been running fine, but were removed to do the transplant. Those can go for as little as the cost of driving there to pick it up.

I read the part where you endeavored to replace your tent. This gives me complete confidence that you have the perseverance aplenty to drop an engine, and put another one in it's place (WBX). Seriously, the tent install is something I found to be very taxing on my skill set, I've often said that if I were asked to do somebody else's tent, I would have to quote them $1,000.00 minimum, and no guarantee on results. Engines are only a few bolts away from being on the floor.

My primary spare engine came from such a transplant, it came with all the bits and bobs still attached, and a fine exhaust too. To drop an engine like that is pretty simple, there are plenty of videos, and forum topics on it. The only trick is to support the transaxle while the engine is lowered, and that is almost not a trick at all, just a piece of 4X4 and a chain.

You can do this! I can tell Smile

-bobby
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Nobody has mentioned calling around to places that do transplants to ask about engines that have been running fine, but were removed to do the transplant. Those can go for as little as the cost of driving there to pick it up.

I think in New England it’s literally FAS in Maine as the only place that does a lot of swaps. Maybe Bostig would have local customers that are a potential source.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

John, thanks for reaching out to Andrew. We connected today. His phone service was out.

Bobby, I really appreciate the vote of confidence. Laughing That tent nearly wrecked me.

Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

I am kind of in the same boat as HackAl. I have an 86 Weekender with 170,000 miles with the original 2.1. It is still running strong and I can just keep driving it, but my tranny has started leaking from the seal where the bellhousing attaches to the tranny. I talked to my mechanic about rebuilding the tranny and we called the rebuilder he uses. They wanted to know what engine I wanted to run with their tranny rebuild so they wouldn't have problems with it. I have been thinking about a FAS non turbo 2.0 but I haven't fully decided on that or just going with a GW2.2. I did my own head gaskets at 108K miles and they have not shown any signs of leakage.

So what I have is a tranny that needs work but is forcing me to make engine choices for the future. One thing I did find out is that the warranty on the tranny with a Subie engine is much shorter due to the dramatic increase is HP.
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

May be a bit far but with the exchange rate Quebec might be a consideration. I had a VW 2.0 from a 2015 Jetta (132,000 km) installed turn-key for $7,500 + tax in fall 2022, (I think it is a bit more now). This guy is on his 75th conversion like this, mine was his 71st or 72nd.

https://mecaniquemartin.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Don’t drink the Kool Aid. If your van was running fine and blew a head gasket then put ahead gasket on it and keep going. It would be good to know oil pressure as a baseline.

If you we doing it yourself I’d re use the heads After some clean up and keep going. I think conversions are great as an enthusiast and compotet wrench turner.

I have both a WBX and a Subaru 2.2 in Ca and most days I prefer the WBX. What is the finished cost of a conversion now A days?

My
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

ThinkingD wrote:
I had a VW 2.0 from a 2015 Jetta (132,000 km) installed turn-key for $7,500 + tax in fall 2022, (I think it is a bit more now)

7500 CAD is 5,483.06 USD today

if that was your price, you either stole it or the guy works for free.

That said, Andrew (Flint automotive) and Jon at FAS are both great guys and I have had a number of dealings with them and no issues at all.

in terms of a swap, only you can decide which way to go.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Don’t drink the Kool Aid. If your van was running fine and blew a head gasket then put ahead gasket on it and keep going. It would be good to know oil pressure as a baseline.

Not a matter of drinking the Kool Aid, it's a matter of evaluating your own skills, your needs, and your desires.

The FAS conversion is on the high end dollar wise, but it's a brand new German crate engine, all new peripherals, ECU, wiring - everything. And with the quality of the conversion parts, it rivals the WBX for smoothness, and beats it for power and mileage big time. Any I-4 conversion will beat the WBX for power and mileage.

While I have the tools and the skills to make most any repair if needed, I went FAS way because I wanted all of their kit's qualities, and at my age, I want to hit the road whenever, to wherever, and never worry about ending up broken on the side of the road. The price was well worth it *for me* in my situation.

But as previously said, you have to decide if you're keeping this van long term or not. And what else you need to drop cash on for the rest of the van. There are plenty of other systems that could need a big $$$ infusion to be reliable. You're the only one that can do that math, and decide what's right for you.

Good Hunting!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

ThinkingD wrote:
May be a bit far but with the exchange rate Quebec might be a consideration. I had a VW 2.0 from a 2015 Jetta (132,000 km) installed turn-key for $7,500 + tax in fall 2022, (I think it is a bit more now). This guy is on his 75th conversion like this, mine was his 71st or 72nd.

https://mecaniquemartin.com/

Including the motor? Like you dropped it off, they installed a junkyard motor, you came back, paid $7500, and drove off?

That is a crazy deal.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

$7500 would leave a few bucks for a gearbox rebuild. Wouldn't that be nice?

At 169,000 your gearbox might still have some good parts in it.
If it's been maintained.
If some serial-maintainer-owner changed the oil every 15-30k or something, the gears and R&P could last almost forever (with 90HP).
Then all you need is new hubs, synchronizers, bearings etc.

But almost nobody maintains a transaxle (at all), just the nutcases.
Many owners still have the original 35 year-old oil from the factory, grinding everything up to scrap metal.
The Owners manual states that the gearbox oil does not need to be changed, and most owners complied.
And as such, most gearboxes were 'used up' by the previous owners.
And many subsequent owners did the same in the 2nd 100,000 miles, so by now, they're all too far 'gone' for just new bearings, hubs, sychronizers.
Your gearbox is a little 'lucky' in that nobody has yet hung a big engine on it.
Especially during it's geriatric stage.

Anyway, the condition of your gearbox is worthwhile to know.
The 3rd/4th gear hub should be replaced somewhere around 150k miles or it can destroy the whole gearbox.
It's like a 'timing belt', in a way, a widely known maintenance item for about 20 years now.

And there's that danged front ground strap, beckoning amperes to pass internally across your bearings (very high-precision rolling elements).

All that said......I just talked to a guy who has 410,000 on his gearbox, about 250 of that with a Subaru 2.2. But it's noisy right now and he's taking it to Ken Porter in the SF Bay area.
You should never drive a gearbox on an antique vehicle 'until noisy'.
That's ruining stuff (geniune German OEM parts) that are irreplaceable.

Does the shifter move when you accel/decel going down a steep grade?
Put one finger on the gear lever and check this.
Note the distance of movement in BOTH 2nd gear and 3rd gear.
And for this test - your shifter bushings have to be in decent condition, easy-shifting, & well lubed.
Prob should squirt the shifter slider bushings with oil before the test.
A new gearbox should have zero gear lever movement.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:45 am; edited 4 times in total
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Yes dropped off the Van for a month and paid $7500 + tax on pickup and drove it home. New timing belt, water pump, and coil pack on motor. Fly by wire pedal and ODB2 port at dash.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I am kind of in the same boat as HackAl. I have an 86 Weekender with 170,000 miles with the original 2.1. It is still running strong and I can just keep driving it, but my tranny has started leaking from the seal where the bellhousing attaches to the tranny. I talked to my mechanic about rebuilding the tranny and we called the rebuilder he uses. They wanted to know what engine I wanted to run with their tranny rebuild so they wouldn't have problems with it. I have been thinking about a FAS non turbo 2.0 but I haven't fully decided on that or just going with a GW2.2. I did my own head gaskets at 108K miles and they have not shown any signs of leakage.

So what I have is a tranny that needs work but is forcing me to make engine choices for the future. One thing I did find out is that the warranty on the tranny with a Subie engine is much shorter due to the dramatic increase is HP.

Gear oil dripping from the bell housing doesn’t indicate you need to rebuild the transmission. There is a lip type seal for the input shaft that can wear over time. There is also a needle bearing that supports the input shaft in the crankshaft that might wear. Probably $20 in parts and maybe 4 hours labor to R and R the transaxle. Not saying you don’t need an overhaul, but if a drip is the only issue, it might be something minor.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Just a quick update: Andrew has it now. Preliminary reports looks good. Hopefully just a gasket replacement, but we'll also replace water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. while we at it. Will also change transaxle fluid.

More to come.

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Just to close the loop on this thread, I retrieved the van this past weekend from Flint European Automotive. It is running tip-top now.

Andrew replaced the head gaskets and a bunch of other components that were beyond redemption. He installed an oil pressure gauge kit that I purchased from Van-Again.

I was very impressed with Andrew's guidance, execution and follow-through.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and suggestions here. Very much appreciated.

Al

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Just to close the loop on this thread, I retrieved the van this past weekend from Flint European Automotive. It is running tip-top now.

Andrew replaced the head gaskets and a bunch of other components that were beyond redemption. He installed an oil pressure gauge kit that I purchased from Van-Again.

I was very impressed with Andrew's guidance, execution and follow-through.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and suggestions here. Very much appreciated.

Al
So glad to hear it's worked out for you. Congratulations... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? [Resolved] Reply with quote

awesome Al, now it's time to camp!

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: