Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Koni steering damper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

who sells the red dampner? Koni 76-1099
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

amazon has it listed for like a buck seven-d

also states it could be red or black with classic wing logo

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SGKent wrote:

amazon has it listed for like a buck seven-d

also states it could be red or black with classic wing logo

The BMD place selling them through Amazon told me they only sell the black one. Ad is mistaken.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

i g00gled the p/n and amazon came up with it as well as summit (or jegs...can't remember)

are you after the red one? a quick chucka chucka psssss psssss pssss with some paint will dial you in. someone was reproducing the water transfer decals too....I will see if I can find it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

i g00gled the p/n and amazon came up with it as well as summit (or jegs...can't remember)

are you after the red one? a quick chucka chucka psssss psssss pssss with some paint will dial you in. someone was reproducing the water transfer decals too....I will see if I can find it

Also you have to pay attention to what you are ordering and not just buy "red" ones.

IP...International parts or something to that effect ...out of Mexico...sells crudely fashioned but functional dampers for a wide range of ACVW that are red.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ray[/code]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

Thanks - the main reason I didn't want to paint was the loss of the Koni emblem. Maybe I can contact Koni and see if they will provide a decal.

Ray - I don't make those kinds of mistakes but thank you for the caveat. It will help someone I am sure.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Thanks - the main reason I didn't want to paint was the loss of the Koni emblem. Maybe I can contact Koni and see if they will provide a decal.

Ray - I don't make those kinds of mistakes but thank you for the caveat. It will help someone I am sure.

Yep....there are always some who probably WILL order by color alone. They ARE red....so they must be top notch right? Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

Koni decals Wink

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/shop/search.php?q=Koni
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

steve

here is the water transfer decal. I had to dig deep....it was for a 1 of 1 Shelby KR prototype I was involved with

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Koni-Shock-Winged-Water-Transfer-Decal-P482249.aspx

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

steve

here is the water transfer decal. I had to dig deep....it was for a 1 of 1 Shelby KR prototype I was involved with

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Koni-Shock-Winged-Water-Transfer-Decal-P482249.aspx

Thanks Don
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

am resurrecting this thread hoping someone has an definitive answer.

Getting ready to buy a Koni steering dampener today but I came across some confusing info.

76-1099 is a black Koni adjustable dampener for Porsche that sells for around $160 - $170.

80 1044SP20 is a red Koni adjustable dampener for Porsche that sells for around $104 - $107. It usually has an additional part number listed with it as 76-1099.

Does anyone know if the 80 1044SP20 is the new part number for 76-1099, and if so does it work the same as a steering dampener on a bay?

EXAMPLE:
Quote:
Classic Front Driver or Passenger Side Shock Absorber (80-1044SP20) by Koni. Quantity: 1 per Pack. Steering Damper: PN# 76-1099.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-Classic-Red-Shock-56...0005.m1851

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
am resurrecting this thread hoping someone has an definitive answer.

Getting ready to buy a Koni steering dampener today but I came across some confusing info.

76-1099 is a black Koni adjustable dampener for Porsche that sells for around $160 - $170.

80 1044SP20 is a red Koni adjustable dampener for Porsche that sells for around $104 - $107. It usually has an additional part number listed with it as 76-1099.

Does anyone know if the 80 1044SP20 is the new part number for 76-1099, and if so does it work the same as a steering dampener on a bay as the dampener labeled 76-1099? see the ad for example.

EXAMPLE:
Quote:
Classic Front Driver or Passenger Side Shock Absorber (80-1044SP20) by Koni. Quantity: 1 per Pack. Steering Damper: PN# 76-1099.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-Classic-Red-Shock-56...0005.m1851

~bump~

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

PM sent
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

Any update on these?
(sold - but not forgotten)
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

Edit...

Nevermind...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

they are black and if you want them Koni red they have to be painted and new decal put on.
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

So finally got around to installing Koni steering damper sourced through Pelican Parts. The Max/Min stroke matches that of the leaking Borg damper it replaced. The Koni steering damper is adjustable, so it can be "tuned" for soft or hard, I set it in the middle. This was the last component to complete front end rebuild, ball joints, shocks, links, etc. It also comes with two Koni stickers (one shown) and cool Koni Classic wings sticker.

Note: The above mentioned Koni P/N: 80 1044SP20 does not fit, I ordered this part and had to return due to incorrect spec Min/Max stroke length.

The part shown below fits perfect is Koni P/N: KON-76-1099

This part was not cheap $170, I'm aiming for longevity, and quality.

Min length

Max length

Installed

- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).

Last edited by NOVA Bus on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

What differences do you feel from old and new?
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

The Koni is a beefier shock, heavier than the Borg. You can feel the differences between various compression settings. I have yet to road test due to weather (salt on roads), but hope to get it out in few weeks.
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni steering damper Reply with quote

Is there any consensus on whether the steering dampener should be adjusted to be soft or stiff?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: