Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection help please (air-cooled)?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel injection help please (air-cooled)? Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1981 Vanagon manual trans 2.0l

Had not ran since 2011,
Replaced starter , battery ,fuel pump and filter and added fresh fuel
The van will start and run on carb spray so I know the ignition system is working my concern now is I have no fuel injector pulse and also the fuel pump does not run momentarily when key is turned on,pump will run when I move the arm in the airflow sensor.
Reading schematic I see I need power to ecu on pin 10 and trigger for injectors on pin 1
My first question is ground at really pin 85 I see in the diagram it goes to the ecu and have seen some here that ground goes right to the body at the relay , I am trying to verify power to the ecu but it seems if I disconnect the ecu I loose the ground thus no power to pin 10 ?
Any advice going forward greatly appreciated !
I am a 30 year senior master tech for Ford so I have a pretty good understanding of fuel injection and electronics
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

Welcome! From the Vanagon Essentials ~ The FAQ Guide sticky topic at the top, you will want to download the Digijet ProTraining Manual (first link is dead, but second one is alive).

There is a functional wiring diagram as well as test procedures for the entire system.

Once you get it running, replace your fuel lines. Then, I would recommend cleaning and improving the ground system. I found that many of my FI sensor readings were off until I cleaned them all up and added auxiliary grounding between the starter and body.

Since it's been sitting for a long time, carefully inspect for signs of rodent damage.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

I'd double check that the early air cooled are on Digijet. '83.5-'85 are, but the air cooled may be different. Air cooled have the cold start injector and some other things that water cooled don't have....

Hans
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

Injectors can stick shut from sitting. I got hold of a Toyota V6 pickup that had been sitting for 10ish years and was getting no fuel through the injectors, but it would fire on starting fluid. I added FI cleaner to the fuel and messed with it for quite a while without getting a start. Went inside to let the battery charge and peruses the manual a bit and came back out a half hour later and hit the key. I got a single hit out of one of the cylinders and thought is was just a tad of left over starting fluid, but it hit again a single time after maybe 10 seconds of cranking time and I knew that I had won. Alternated giving the starter a rest and cranking and within a minute of cranking time one cylinder was hitting repeatedly and then after maybe two minutes of total cranking time a second cylinder had kicked in and it was nearly running on its own. Another minute or so gave another cylinder so no more cranking and by another couple of minutes the engine was sitting there purring like there had never been a problem to begin with.

A lot of people claim injection cleaner is snake oil, but any more its my go to whenever an engine is running a bit rough.

The fuel pump doesn't run when you just hit the key. Instead, it runs instantly when the starter is engage as a wire feeds from the extra set of contacts in the starter solenoid directly to the fuel pump relay.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Welcome! From the Vanagon Essentials ~ The FAQ Guide sticky topic at the top, you will want to download the Digijet ProTraining Manual (first link is dead, but second one is alive).

The (first) FAQ link didn't use the full address, though it may have worked at one time. Proper link is:
https://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon/VanagonProTraining/FuelSystems/

Also, the link is to the ProTraining for Vanagon "Fuel Systems", which includes AFC, Digijet, and Digifant (not just Digijet).

The AFC section would be appropriate for a Vanagon w/ an aircooled 2.0l engine.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:
brickster wrote:

The (first) FAQ link didn't use the full address, though it may have worked at one time. Proper link is:
https://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon/VanagonProTraining/FuelSystems/

Also, the link is to the ProTraining for Vanagon "Fuel Systems", which includes AFC, Digijet, and Digifant (not just Digijet).

The AFC section would be appropriate for a Vanagon w/ an aircooled 2.0l engine.

Thanks for figuring that out, perhaps a mod can repair. I have the file on my computer, phone & tablet for redundancy and Internet-less access.

Good call on using the AFC vs. Digijet section. My first Vanagon was an 81, but I forgot!
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Thanks for figuring that out, perhaps a mod can repair.

Thanks for pointing it out. It's probably been broken for a while.
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

Vivavanagon wrote:
My first question is ground at really pin 85 I see in the diagram it goes to the ecu and have seen some here that ground goes right to the body at the relay , I am trying to verify power to the ecu but it seems if I disconnect the ecu I loose the ground thus no power to pin 10 ?

There are two major types of Vanagon AFC systems: Federal and California. In regard to your question, you will find that Double Relay pin 85 goes to "ground" on Fed and to ECU (pin28) on CA.

If your aircooled has a stock oxygen sensor, you have a California and will need to use the California specific wiring diagrams.

AFC Fed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AFC California:*

System check via ECU connector:

*If you are trying to make sense of the California AFC Double Relay, the schematic is wrong/misleading in several diagrams, including the one above. I believe this shows it correctly:
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

the air cooled fuel pump does NOT run when you first click of the key.
fuel pump will ONLY run when the starter is cranking & then once the AFM arm moves the contact points under the cover.
there SHOULD be a wire from the starter to the double relay, this is what tells the double relay to run the pump while cranking over.

you may likely NEED to pull the injectors and verify that they want to spray and that they have a nice pattern. you REALLY SHOULD remove and replace the seals under the injectors anyways.. a common source for a rough idle by allowing unmetered air in

for testing purposes you CAN provide the fuel pump directly with +12v and have it run, injectors shouldn't spray unless there's a signal from the AFM & coil (tach side)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vivavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info got her running tonight. A little smoky a little bit of a high idle but she’s running!
Just have to iron out a oil leak on the left side then new injector seals and fuel hoses .
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Thanks for figuring that out, perhaps a mod can repair.

Done.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vivavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

So went back at it today changed the oil and went to start her up and back to square one.
Cranks now like it has no compression and a random clacking noise while it cranks. Pulled plugs and all were fuel fouled. Gonna try with a set of plugs next and see if that helps. Still not surw what by he clacking noise is.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection help please ? Reply with quote

Vivavanagon wrote:
So went back at it today changed the oil and went to start her up and back to square one.
Cranks now like it has no compression and a random clacking noise while it cranks. Pulled plugs and all were fuel fouled. Gonna try with a set of plugs next and see if that helps. Still not surw what by he clacking noise is.

Your troubleshooting guide is here.

First, check the integrity of your ground circuits at the ECU connector. Garbage in, garbage out. Once that's solid, you can check the FI components from the loom connector.

Plug fouling can be caused by the ECU receiving the incorrect resistance from the cylinder head temperature sensor and running richer than necessary. There is also a thermo-time switch activated cold start valve that should be checked as it should deliver fuel only during cold starts.

Not sure about the clacking during cranking. Perhaps the solenoid not fully actuating the starter? It's very common for POs to modify the ignition/starter circuit on these vehicles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: