Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiasophia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting Reply with quote

Hi all!

I don't post on here often, so let me know if I have posted this in the wrong place (I'm still trying to figure out how to post things with this forum). I am 21 years old and I've learned how to work on my Ghia from the internet primarily, so I'm really grateful for any help from you veterans. Now that I'm back from Uni for the summer, it's time to work on the car! ...The only problem: she won't start!

I checked that the fuel pump works (by disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel pump, pumping gas, and subsequently nearly blinding my friend in the eye when gas shot up and out... won't do it that way again...), as well as checking for blockages in the fuel line. I tapped the carb with a hammer a few times in the event that a stuck float valve pin was the problem. I was able to get it to run very briefly with starter fluid and by pumping the pedal before starting the engine, but, again, both did not keep it alive for long.

I'm assuming the problem is simple, the gas that was inside the carb has evaporated. I just don't know how to solve this problem. I've heard people mention that I should manually fill the float bowl (which I'm not sure if I know how to do correctly, I've never done it before), or even to keep pumping and cranking.

Any advice? Everything is much appreciated! Very Happy

All the best,
Sophia
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting Reply with quote

Here is Speedy Jim's page on troubleshooting no start situations:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting Reply with quote

Sophia, you mention that the car has been sitting. How old is the gas? Today's crappy ethanol gas turns bad pretty quickly. If your fuel lines are older the ethanol can break them down and it is possible to that some chunks of fuel line or other debris made its way into your carburetor. Sounds like you are getting fuel though. Have you pumped the gas while looking down the carb? Any gas squirting down the throat of the carb?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting Reply with quote

ghiasophia wrote:
Hi all!

I don't post on here often, so let me know if I have posted this in the wrong place (I'm still trying to figure out how to post things with this forum). I am 21 years old and I've learned how to work on my Ghia from the internet primarily, so I'm really grateful for any help from you veterans. Now that I'm back from Uni for the summer, it's time to work on the car! ...The only problem: she won't start!

I checked that the fuel pump works (by disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel pump, pumping gas, and subsequently nearly blinding my friend in the eye when gas shot up and out... won't do it that way again...), as well as checking for blockages in the fuel line. I tapped the carb with a hammer a few times in the event that a stuck float valve pin was the problem. I was able to get it to run very briefly with starter fluid and by pumping the pedal before starting the engine, but, again, both did not keep it alive for long.

I'm assuming the problem is simple, the gas that was inside the carb has evaporated. I just don't know how to solve this problem. I've heard people mention that I should manually fill the float bowl (which I'm not sure if I know how to do correctly, I've never done it before), or even to keep pumping and cranking.

Any advice? Everything is much appreciated! Very Happy

All the best,
Sophia

You’re fuel pump works.
You have spark.
You have no fuel going from carburetor into the intake manifold.
I would remove the brass drain plug on the reserve bowl to see if any fuel comes out. If there is no fuel then it’s likely the plunger is stuck close.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ghiasophia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Starting After a Few Months Sitting Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for your great suggestions. I opened up the top of the carb and took a look in the float bowl. I took out the old fuel and put in new fuel, but still no success. I didn’t think I saw anything coming from the accelerator discharge nozzle (I think that’s what it is?) even after cleaning and refilling the bowl, and pulling the accelerator. What could this be? In the mean time I am going to clean the jet and I will get back to you all if that works. Thanks again for your time and resources! Think Think Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: