Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clicking sound and very loose valve
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
In late 1971, VW retconned the valve adjustment specification for all "short stud" heads to .006" regardless of what the original owner's manual stated. That included converted round boss heads and even 36HP engines.

yes, but for me it seems that decision wasn't based on a well research. 0.006 ia not enough for long stud heads, have lost a valve through that. Now, at a converted head with 0.004 setting I measured clearance when engine was hot, it was so much, that I was thinking on going to 0.002, but haven't tried it yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

I did say CONVERTED round boss heads. (36HP were short stud anyway)

The 71 retcon... I don't think VW ever intended to overwrite the kind of confusing specifications regarding LONG STUD heads. Is it 008/008, or 008/012? Myself, I would set them at eights and then check the valve clearance on a hot engine. Yes you need to wear long sleeves and cloth gloves so you don't get burnt, but the goal is verify that the valves have not gone down to zero.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound and very loose valve Reply with quote

I had similar, if not the same symptoms on my '63, on cylinder #2. The issue was that the rocker arm bolt boss in the head had pulled clean out.

New heads, along other work, and all is well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: