Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 tie rods
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boroboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the length of each of the long and short steering tie rods please? Or if not direct me to a reference.
I have a car that I bought in boxes, and with new tie rod ends fitted, even when they are screwed to their shortest length the stub axles visibly tow in far to much!
I suspect I have the wrong tie rods, maybe type 1, or something.
I could chop a bit of thread of each of the very long tie rod ends, but rather get it right.

Thanks in anticipation
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

If someone else does not reply, I will dig mine out and measure later today. I have a short and long without ends. They are for a 1964-65 but should be appropriate for you.
If you were in the US, I would just ship them to you as they are just taking up space.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajb164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Rough estimate is 10 inches and 26 inches depending on where you take it from but ball park is that. If you need exact I can measure just the tubes on a spare set but need to dig them out. Hope that helps
I will lock or delete the entire thing (seriously) if I have to.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

I have nice tie rods laying around I sell you very cheap if you need them they came off 66 square
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Boroboy63 wrote:
Can anyone tell me the length of each of the long and short steering tie rods please? Or if not direct me to a reference.
I have a car that I bought in boxes, and with new tie rod ends fitted, even when they are screwed to their shortest length the stub axles visibly tow in far to much!
I suspect I have the wrong tie rods, maybe type 1, or something.
I could chop a bit of thread of each of the very long tie rod ends, but rather get it right.

Thanks in anticipation

It's a shame that some of the OZ folks can't help you out with some measurements as you have a RHD car, and most of us here have LHD cars. I don't know if there's a real difference in the lengths or not between them, other than them being swapped side for side. I also don't know if RHD cars use the angled left inner tie rod end, or would it be an angled right tie rod end? Whatever you do, don't cut any off the length you currently have, as you might need it.
Sometimes I wish I knew more about RHD cars. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

As one of the "OZ folks", I would love to help out but kind of hard to measure mine at the moment ! But a quick call to any of the OZ suppliers (Mick Motors, Das Resto Parts, Just Kampers, Rod Penrose, Vintage Bee Dub Supplies etc etc) would surely answer the question ?
I will see if I can climb under the front of mine this weekend...........
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Difficult to get under there without jacking car up, but my long one is 72 cms and my short one is 22 cms. That is measured from the outside of the locking nut on each end.
Car is a 1970 Fastback.
Smile
Boroboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help, should be enough to be going on with Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
As one of the "OZ folks", I would love to help out but kind of hard to measure mine at the moment ! But a quick call to any of the OZ suppliers (Mick Motors, Das Resto Parts, Just Kampers, Rod Penrose, Vintage Bee Dub Supplies etc etc) would surely answer the question ?
I will see if I can climb under the front of mine this weekend...........

I wasn't picking on you or anyone for that matter. I just don't know if the RHD cars used the same bits as the LHD cars. I know our LHD cars used an angled inner tie rod end on the short tie rod. But I don't know if the RHD cars used it on the short right tie rod. Or if the angle changed from 9* to something else. I just don't know enough about RHD cars, and their changes.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Not taken as "Picking on", Bob. All said with a smile on my face. Early morning banter. Smile Your wisdom and advice is very much appreciated, I can assure you.
Giles
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Not taken as "Picking on", Bob. All said with a smile on my face. Early morning banter. Smile Your wisdom and advice is very much appreciated, I can assure you.
Giles

Thanks. I've been a type 3 owner since the late 80's (my first one was a 66 Squareback in 1983), and my wife's 70 Fastback was our 2nd in 1989 which we still have. But they are/were LHD cars. Same applies with my 65 Notch, my old 71 and 69 Squares,my old 71 Notch, my 64 T-34...all LHD cars. Like I've said I don't know enough about RHD cars, as we didn't get them here in the USA. Maybe what we need is a list of differences between the two models, as there are some changes like the foot pedal arrangement too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 tie rods Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:
Giles

a list of differences between the two models, as there are some changes like the foot pedal arrangement too.

Sure is - Our clutch pedal is on the right and accelerator on the left. Fortunately the brake is still in the centre so we can still find that !!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: