Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Next stop, Huntington Beach on Friday!

Sounds good Johnny Pickenez Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Best of luck guys! Shaping up to be a good one. Post up lots of pics

*And please make the CA BD Gathering quadrennial!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

I posted some pics I took
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=OCTO+June+2023

This is everything from OCTO but mostly Barndoors.
(This could change if people post other pics soon)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

What an amazing OCTO. Seriously the best one yet and I was at the 2012 Barndoor gathering; this one blew that one away.

I want to thank everyone who helped put this on, especially Johnny, Matt, and Ed. I know it was a huge lift for the three of you, but it was one that will be talked about for years to come.

I also want to thank everyone who brought out their barndoors. I know people brought them from all over the US and Canada. Some even brought more than one, which is a lot of work in itself.

I wish I took more pictures, but I was like Garth in Wayne's World going "Schwing, Schwing, Schwing". Between drooling and talking shop, I didn't take many photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The highlight for me was when Hornbecker showed up and gave a personal tour of the Hornbecker deluxe.

myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=OCTO+June+2023

Glad to see my Austrian imported wasp nest made the cut. Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

It really was an incredible event. So many Barndoor buses and their owners who were willing to share their stories it was amazing. I was fortunate to get one of the 86 signed and numbered pieces of artwork created for the event. I dropped it off to be framed today.

derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

It was a blur getting prepped and loading the BD buggy to OCTO's Barndoor Roundup. Unfortunately, it couldn't run under its power as the fuel line got clogged once I got it on the lot (stage fright maybe?), thankfully for some, the buggy decides to choke upon the stadium parking lot- but after the show, it only took a cleaning of the fuel lines, pump, and the carburetor it ran super smooth albeit the smoke puffing from the header.

I want to thank the organizers of OCTO for letting me in the Barndoor lineup, and even though some of the high-brows sneered and stared in horror, there were some compliments from the attendees marveling at a piece of off-road history. It was a blast sharing the history and meeting some of the folks.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
It was a blur getting prepped and loading the BD buggy to OCTO's Barndoor Roundup. Unfortunately, it couldn't run under its power as the fuel line got clogged once I got it on the lot (stage fright maybe?), thankfully for some, the buggy decides to choke upon the stadium parking lot- but after the show, it only took a cleaning of the fuel lines, pump, and the carburetor it ran super smooth albeit the smoke puffing from the header.

I want to thank the organizers of OCTO for letting me in the Barndoor lineup, and even though some of the high-brows sneered and stared in horror, there were some compliments from the attendees marveling at a piece of off-road history. It was a blast sharing the history and meeting some of the folks.

It got hacked long ago. I would rather have it there than not.

Now if it was a recent hack by you I would have a different opinion of course.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

This color combination is very cool, can I assume it’s not stock as I don’t see it in the color chart. However it sure looks stock/patina. Perhaps it was applied in the 1950’s. I’d love to know the facts.

EverettB wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

same color combo as the Kohlruss coach build. it is just sooo cool !

wait a minute, what's the story on this one ? Does the D country plate suggest it was imported from Germany recently or just a period accessory added ?
it is very interesting to see two BD Dlx(ish) buses in this same rare color combo. Could there be a connection ? like company colors?

LAGrunthaner wrote:
This color combination is very cool, can I assume it’s not stock as I don’t see it in the color chart. However it sure looks stock/patina. Perhaps it was applied in the 1950’s. I’d love to know the facts.

EverettB wrote:

edit: well this may be a good explanation for both buses:

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior

Last edited by djfordmanjack on Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Were they Serbian, Austrian or Californian wasps ? Very Happy
just asking for a friend....

myklsmyth wrote:

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Were they Serbian, Austrian or Californian wasps ? Very Happy
just asking for a friend....

myklsmyth wrote:

I can rule out Californian, but other than that your guess is as good as mine. I figured Jakob included the nest as a memento. Laughing
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Wow! is about all I can say.

Great lineup, and the non barndoors in attendance were epic as well.

Johnny said that there were 77 barndoors, is that the correct total?

I wish I could have worked it out to get my barndoor there like last show in 2012.

Lind's new bus was, well, too good for words.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thanks for posting a pic of my bus.
Long drive down there, but great seeing people and cool buses. There was so much happening I didn’t see half of it. I did check out the bd baja buggy with the fifties speed equipment though. 😀

I heard there were 79 Barndoors.

myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

This was the first time that I got to see your bus in person and was amazed at the body. Are those panels all original? If so, that makes it even more amazing. Simply beautiful and one of my favorites that day.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
derRHDmeister wrote:

It got hacked long ago. I would rather have it there than not.

Now if it was a recent hack by you I would have a different opinion of course.

I 100% agree. This is why I felt the need to bring it there, to be part of the wide-ranging spectrum of barndoors in a historical perspective. Yours, of course, on the other end of the spectrum, truly one of a kind and unobtainium. ​​​ ​

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Best of luck guys! Shaping up to be a good one. Post up lots of pics

*And please make the CA BD Gathering quadrennial!

Actually working on this buddy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Thanks Tocayo for the shout out!! This time around was smoother, not to say it wasn't crazy, hectic or super busy. In fact I didn't sleep at all that night!! But all the mayhem was worth it!! What a turn out!! When the smoke cleared there were 78 Barndoor's present. 19 of them being Deluxes ( Who said Barndoor Deluxes are RARE!!!?? Laughing ) This time around was smoother as I had help ....... the original Barndoor Mafia crew - Ed Hughes & Matt Devine. Also in the mix who played a major roll was OCTO President, Erik Koplien. This guy was the back support to all of this and without his help and back up ...... it would have been tougher. A few guys also put in some time helping out with this event ....... Shin Wantanabe, Andy Kimbal .... and big props to the OCTO crew who helped out tremendously.

But I'd have to give a massive shout out and mad props to all the guys who got their Barney's out to this gathering!! And major kudos to the guys who brought out multiple Barney's and the mad men who trailered out there projects!! RESPECT!! I also want to mention Jake "Sled" Miller ...... this wild man drove cross country from Washington to pick up his 52 Kombi project and tons of spare metal/parts, back down across country for the Gathering!

And we can't forget the Canadian's who drove down from the Vancouver area, met up in Oregon with Patrick Hall and drove all the way down here with their Barndoor's and crew! WOW!!

Hopefully the next one won't be 10 years from now and we end up having more interest than this one. This Gathering was the biggest OCTO yet!! And the weather was perfect.

Again ... thank you everyone who participated, weather with you're Barney, you're Bus or as a spectator. Thank you!!!

von_hansel wrote:
What an amazing OCTO. Seriously the best one yet and I was at the 2012 Barndoor gathering; this one blew that one away.

I want to thank everyone who helped put this on, especially Johnny, Matt, and Ed. I know it was a huge lift for the three of you, but it was one that will be talked about for years to come.

I also want to thank everyone who brought out their barndoors. I know people brought them from all over the US and Canada. Some even brought more than one, which is a lot of work in itself.

I wish I took more pictures, but I was like Garth in Wayne's World going "Schwing, Schwing, Schwing". Between drooling and talking shop, I didn't take many photos.

The highlight for me was when Hornbecker showed up and gave a personal tour of the Hornbecker deluxe.

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

Both Ed & Matt, as myself, were super stoked seeing your rig present! I'd blow off any negativity you experienced because on a good note I had at least a dozen people come up to me making mention of you're ride. All good stuff! How unique it was. Cool ride Thumbs Up

derRHDmeister wrote:

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 BARNDOOR GATHERING Reply with quote

I'm stoked you were able to hit Ben Pon then cruise over to Cali. Thumbs Up

There were 333 Buses in attendance. 78 of those Buses were Barndoor's!! And 19 were Deluxe Barndoor's.

Once I talk to Ed, Matt and Eric about a future Gathering?? My idea is to not have the Gathering overlap with Hessisch Oldendorf nor the Ben Pon Gathering. Once the powers to be set it in stone, I will let everyone know. Then you will have plenty of time to make arrangements.

j.pickens wrote:
Wow! is about all I can say.

Great lineup, and the non barndoors in attendance were epic as well.

Johnny said that there were 77 barndoors, is that the correct total?

I wish I could have worked it out to get my barndoor there like last show in 2012.

Lind's new bus was, well, too good for words.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: