Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting new product from AA
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

https://aapistons.com/collections/rocker-arms/prod...bly-type-1

Somebody else can be the Guinee pig. I won't buy a set.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

wow, those are cool looking
wonder how hard they are workout the geometry for?

1.5 ratio, a bit radical for me but good to see something new
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

PatJr wrote:

1.5 ratio, a bit radical for me but good to see something new

Not really, just have use a cam that is slow enough for a 1.5 ratio.

The Chevy LT1 engine uses a 1.8 ratio. AA's forged 1.4 ratio rockers measure out at 1.5 standard. My concern is how much will their new roller actually measure.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know what their 1.15 measure out to be?

These rollers would be nice in 1.25s for that price, provided the castings/materials are quality. Had a set of affordable roller 1.5s that broke an arm on a non vw car in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

I will add a set to my next order, but that 1.5 is a pain to use with most of the normal easy to get cams I would consider. I will cross my fingers and hope they come out at 1.4. 😂

I am trying to deal with Scat 1.25 rockers right now that measure 1.37. It really starts to mess with plans when they lift WAY more than expected. 😏

Brian
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

My .366” lift #252 cam will work well with a 1.5 ratio.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

The blocks, end caps and shafts all look to be transplanted from their 1.4 rockers. Why did they bother to put bronze bushing in when aluminum against steel is fine? Very good likelihood that they will come to 1.5 just like their standard rockers, I guess they measured it this time Shocked.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Hasn't Pauter been offering a 1.5 ratio rocker arm set for years now? this looks like an AA copy of the Pauter stuff..

like the OP said though, someone else try it! I wanna know but can't afford to experiment Razz

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Consider - Rollers are suited to go round and round not back and forth....
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

I like that they are pressure lubricated and use bronze bushings instead of the needle bearings. Really looks tailored to roller cams with the 1.5 ratio. If they were made for the street crowd they would come in 1.3/1.4's.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

I will have a set of these rockers in a few day and will report back my findings along with pics. I will also test them in my 2234cc engine once the car is ready for it. I am in the middle of doing the gearbox right now. I will get a hard number for the actual ratio.

As some have stated earlier about too much ratio, again I repeat myself, just got to pic the right cam. If these are the ratio advertised (most likely) they will be fine. Most 1.4's on the market today are close to 1.5 or are 1.5 anyway. They should reduce guide wear with the roller tip. My biggest concern is how well will the roller tip holds up and availability of replacement parts.

Dan
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

The advertised ratio numbers are measured on a stock VW heads using a stock VW cam. Rockers can have a different ratio on every different brand of heads and every different cam used. There is no way to say exactly what ratio you will get on any performance engine.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The advertised ratio numbers are measured on a stock VW heads using a stock VW cam. Rockers can have a different ratio on every different brand of heads and every different cam used. There is no way to say exactly what ratio you will get on any performance engine.

Dave who cares what ratio you get with $350 rockers with a stock cam, how many people are going to do that?

What matters is the ratio with the typical use. I have measured rockers with a number of different heads and the ratios were very close to the same. Yes, cam lift does affect the results but then again who cares. Very unlikely for someone to run $350 rocker at .400" lift.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I will add a set to my next order, but that 1.5 is a pain to use with most of the normal easy to get cams I would consider. I will cross my fingers and hope they come out at 1.4. 😂

I am trying to deal with Scat 1.25 rockers right now that measure 1.37. It really starts to mess with plans when they lift WAY more than expected. 😏

Brian

Actually, a 86B, - or C in a big engine can work awesome with 1,5´s. But yes, the lift is a hair over what can be considered all street.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Dave who cares what ratio you get with $350 rockers with a stock cam, how many people are going to do that?

All the people ordering that new empi 1914 that JBugs is saying Jack Sacchette builds (yes, I know he's not building them...but Jbugs says... ) https://www.jbugs.com/product/empi-98-0484-B-1915cc-vw-longblock-engine.html

The new empi 1600,1776, and 1914 long blocks are stock cams. Dumb but what are people going to do? Put rockers on them to make up for the stock cam. In My Opinion of course
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

The people with stock cams will use the $150 1.4 rockers.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Why the hell wouldn't they make a 1.3 or 1.4 ratio. I gotta think the market for 1.5 rockers is pretty small. I love my Pauters, but gawd dam, the last set cost me $1000. It would be nice to have a spare set in the race box, but damn if I can afford that.

Be interesting to see how they measure out and if they ever come out with smaller ratios. I gotta think 1.4s and 1.3s would be way more salable.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

A set of these new rockers showed up today.

I haven't mounted them on anything yet. Pretty standard parts for any rocker set. The rollers have about .020" side play, and they seem a touch loose on the shaft, but they will need to get oil in them. The rocker shafts have been heat treated and ground, end caps are standard, shims are included, but look like the standard thickness'. Bummer they are so heavy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Brain, I just got my set too. I am measuring things now and will have data shortly. Looks like the roller pins are crimped in place and will be difficult to replace a roller if a failure happens. Not sure what type of roller tip is used, oilite, needle or ball? Who knows how durable the roller will be long term. Weight is close to most China forged steel rockers. If you want a light weight 1.4 rocker, the CB is the best I have found. Looks like these rollers will require about a .130" longer pushrod than the typical forged set.

The shafts are also moved about .050" higher than normal due to the necessary added thickness of the underside of the bearing area to keep them from rubbing against the pedestal. The dumb move of adding bushings made this necessary, aluminum against steel works fine, ask Pauter.

I will measure the real ratio shortly and check the half lift geo. Thanks for the pics, now I don't have to do it. Very Happy

Edit: I just measured 1.53 with a .366" lift cam (my Web 252) and zero lash. I like the big ratio, choose a cam that takes advantage of it. Half lift looks very close to 90 degrees. On the engine I am doing this on I would shave the blocks .040" but this is not a must, the roller tip should make perfection not as necessary.

One other thing, The pushrods are not centered well in the pushrod tubes. If someone want to run my 7/16 pushrods shaving the thrust of the blocks and shafts would be a good idea, off center to the left but good vertically. Head castings used is a factor too.

Plan on running these once I finish doing my cars transmission. Not happy that I will have to make up another set of pushrods.

Dan
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new product from AA Reply with quote

Interesting tidbit. I watched a vid of a roller tip rocker and was surprised to see that the tip spins at high speed when not in contact with the valve. It makes perfect sense once you are made aware of the phenomenon. The roller skids to a halt as valve lift begins.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: