Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bring-A-Trailer Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
1987 Syncro Westfalia Subie 3.3L 6 cylinder 5 spd - looks clean with a respray, but suspect bodywork with rust already returning:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-syncro-6/

and RNM at $40K.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
Apparently BaT is scraping the bottom of the barrel for listings based on this POS 1984 Subie-powered, manual turd of a Vanagon:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-volkswagen-vanagon-10/

And sold (perhaps somewhat predictably) for $7K.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-27/

Bronze no reserve weekender. CA van. Well maintained. A/C. Requisite nose blemish

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

Nice survivor. Should do well.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Nice survivor. Should do well.

Sold for $18K
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

Nice 82 diesel Westy from Wisconsin.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-24/

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

FAS 2.0T 2wd with a syncro trans/locker Shocked

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-26/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah I saw that, nice van. I wonder why the owner wouldn't go all the way and add the front diff? Doesn't seem finished to me.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

calsurf wrote:
^^^ Yeah I saw that, nice van. I wonder why the owner wouldn't go all the way and add the front diff? Doesn't seem finished to me.

A syncro trans in a 2wd would still provide a lot of benefit. The granny gear is worth it alone IMO.

As I get old and soft, I sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) miss the smooth glide of a 2wd van. My syncro can be like driving a tractor.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
calsurf wrote:

A syncro trans in a 2wd would still provide a lot of benefit. The granny gear is worth it alone IMO.

As I get old and soft, I sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) miss the smooth glide of a 2wd van. My syncro can be like driving a tractor.

Throw in a decoupler and enjoy the loose front end.
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

calsurf wrote:

I am the owner and builder of this van. I’ve owned several Syncros over the last 25 years. The most recent was a very nice 1986 sunroof, Subaru 2.2 with decoupler. I’ve never had the need for the 4 wheel drive function and never used it. Ultimately they were sold to people who would use them. Even the Suburbans and F250s I’ve owned have been rwd with posi diffs. It’s worked for me for the last 50 years I’ve been driving.
I didn’t set out to build a Syncro. Even if it had the full Syncro treatment, in my opinion it is not a Syncro if it doesn’t have the “G” in the VIN.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

^^^There's a lot to like in your van. Here's hoping that it catches some eyes and bids.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

essjayarr wrote:
calsurf wrote:

I am the owner and builder of this van. I’ve owned several Syncros over the last 25 years. The most recent was a very nice 1986 sunroof, Subaru 2.2 with decoupler. I’ve never had the need for the 4 wheel drive function and never used it. Ultimately they were sold to people who would use them. Even the Suburbans and F250s I’ve owned have been rwd with posi diffs. It’s worked for me for the last 50 years I’ve been driving.
I didn’t set out to build a Syncro. Even if it had the full Syncro treatment, in my opinion it is not a Syncro if it doesn’t have the “G” in the VIN.

That's cool. Not sure what region your in. We have a lot of soft sand or snow in the upper regions during winter months in our parts. Nice build, should do very well on BAT.
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

calsurf wrote:
essjayarr wrote:
calsurf wrote:

That's cool. Not sure what region your in. We have a lot of soft sand or snow in the upper regions during winter months in our parts. Nice build, should do very well on BAT.

I’m in SE Massachusetts. I don’t take out my “nice” vehicles once they salt the roads and only after some street cleansing rains in the spring.
I usually have a designated winter beater for the nasty stuff. Most likely old American iron, rear wheel drive, posi and snow tires on all 4 corners.
Thanks to those appreciating my “Final Edition” of a 25+ year run of Vanagons. You younger folks….keep them on the road!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

essjayarr wrote:
calsurf wrote:

Everybody wants a Syncro? Well they are great if you NEED 4 wd, but the other 95 of the time they are PIGS. I know a lot of people that had them new and were less than thrilled.
I think a lot of the fever stems from the outrageous price some go for. Get real, A Vanagon is NOT an investment. In my mind, a 2wd Vanagon might be the best car ever for ME. An earlier VW Transporter, T1 or T2 might be the VERY best 3rd world car because of their narrowness, load capacity and simplicity.
But a Syncro is a pig 95% of the time. As a driver.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Nice 82 diesel Westy from Wisconsin.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-24/

Yes, it is nice.
Have you ever driven one? Easily the slowest car ever sold in the US in the last 50 years, I would guess.
These guys are wondering out loud if they can get AIR CONDITIONING installed.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

luv me a slow ride!

No, I never drove one. But I did drive a 2.0 over I70 mountain passes and will not do that again in this lifetime.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
luv me a slow ride!

No, I never drove one. But I did drive a 2.0 over I70 mountain passes and will not do that again in this lifetime.

Rather than 'drive' my 2.1 WBX along I70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel, I might suggest that I 'coaxed' my 2.1 over the pass in the shoulder doing 20-25 MPH with the hazards on. It was this experience that reinforced my need for additional HP support if I was to repeat this type of road trip, hence the Subie swap.
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

I hope I never need to attempt going over the divide in my van. It's bad enough in my lifted 4Runner with 3x as much power.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Everybody wants a Syncro? Well they are great if you NEED 4 wd, but the other 95 of the time they are PIGS. I know a lot of people that had them new and were less than thrilled.....
But a Syncro is a pig 95% of the time. As a driver.

I would have to strenuously differ with that opinion. Laughing
Have you ever owned one?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 29

Jump to: