Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bolts for cover panel under pedal area?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

I'm having a devil of a time finding the bolts that secure the front belly pan that is located under the foot pedals. The local Ace Hardware store didn't have them, which is what I expected but thought I'd try (they are actually quite good when I need metric fasteners).

The fastener:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The panel that needs the fasteners (picture credit from CIP1.com):

The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

How "show" are you trying to go?

The originals match modern lag bolts, but the heads will be too big/ugly. Sheet metal screws with a Philips head are nice because you can press up during installation. Overlanders install rivi-nuits into each hole and use an M6 bolt for bashing splash pans into trails.

I'm not aware of those screws sold outside the usual bus dismantler operations.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Given the external location I would prefer hex head over Phillips head. Better tool purchase and leverage.

The rivi-nuts isn't a bad idea. I may do that if I can't get the suitable replacement.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

1/2 of the pan holes were stripped of their threads on my Bus so I drilled them out and installed M6 rivnuts and metric bolts w/ washers. Worked a treat, I'd recommend it.

The tool is cheap and you'll use it again somewhere.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Yeah, stripped holes, that's usually how I roll..., source the freakin rare correct parts and then go to put them in and discover half the holes won't hold them.

There's a Mercedes part that looks just like them (can't recall the # now), or commercial metal roofing screws are a 98% match. But the rivnut is likely the best long term solution, and the heads might even fool those Pebble beach judges.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

do you have any T3 fender screws in the parts pile? they look similar

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

i tried, but couldn’t find a match new. couldn’t find them at the usual used bus places either.

went with 5mm stainless riv nuts with stainless bolts and washers.

the hole that joe stripped with the replacement nut (11mm head instead of the standard 10, that after years of ups and downs i finally started to remember before lying down on the driveway) is now a10mm head just like the other three.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

How are the nutsert/rivnuts sized, meaning, what measurements do I need in order to get the correct size?
The First Invasion
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

The ID and thread, once you have them drill the hole so it just barely fits in and compress it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Some of my holes were stripped as well. Rivnuts and M6 screws work perfectly fine
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Clarification please:
busdaddy wrote:
The ID and thread, once you have them drill the hole so it just barely fits in and compress it.

1. The ID of the insert or the hole in the chassis that is going to be filled?
  2. "Thread" meaning the Rivnut/Nutsert thread?

The First Invasion
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
I'm having a devil of a time finding the bolts that secure the front belly pan that is located under the foot pedals. The local Ace Hardware store didn't have them, which is what I expected but thought I'd try (they are actually quite good when I need metric fasteners).

The fastener:

The panel that needs the fasteners (picture credit from CIP1.com):
Do these match from Wurth?
Length might be a touch long compared to yours, but they're pretty beefy in diameter, hex head ,and washer built-in.
https://www.wurthusa.com/Hardware/US-Hardware/Scre.../p/0129819

I realize you probably don't want 50 of them,[[ Wink ]
but with a part number, you could track them down to a smaller amount from a Wurth reseller maybe.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Dude, that looks like it! I zoomed down the screen and placed my screw on/next to it and it was an exact match Very Happy Thank you!

Self-Tapping Screw with Fixed Washer 8 x 19 MM (5/16x3/4)
Us Hardware Classification
Diameter 5/16""
Length 3/4""
Material Zinc Plated Steel
Standards Classification DIN 7976 / ISO 1479

< edit > Hmm...the dimensions aren't adding up. Could be a generic stock photo. I really need one "in hand".
The First Invasion
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

I have use the screws sold for installing metal roofing/siding onto metal studs. If your holes aren't strip, I think you can use the 1/4" diameter screws, while 5/16" are available as well. Been decades since I bought the screws and an not real sure I am correct on the diameters.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

According to ISO-1478 this is a "Tapping screw thread ISO 1478 - ST6,3" with a length of 16mm and a 10mm head.
https://cdn.standards.iteh.ai/samples/29386/1b1037055cc84afca508dc7b25917ccb/ISO-1478-1999.pdf
The First Invasion
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

The screw on the right is an exact metric match for the thread of the original VW screw, while the one on the left is a 1/4" self drilling-tapping screw used for installing metal roofing and siding panels into metal framing. As I mentioned above, I am pretty sure you can get 5/16" screws for installing metal panels as well.

Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings for the picture, that helped VW Logo

Ordered these from McMaster-Carr. I didn't want to cut up the existing threads so that required me to grind down the cutting tip of the new screws -- super easy with a grinding wheel. Make sure the cutting tip is equal to or less than the diameter of the screw shaft body.

Left one is the ground-down screw:

The box they came in:

The First Invasion
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bolts for cover panel under pedal area? Reply with quote

Just to follow up, the Mercedes part number for these is 007976006203 , available from many suppliers, google the number with Mercedes in front of it.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: