Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Anyone know why Westys imported to Canada have the utility ports located differently from US models? Any other differences other than speedos in kilometers? (Photo for reference)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

I had an ‘85 Westy.
It had a gasoline heater.
I think the fiberglass top was thicker (heavier too).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Anyone know why Westys imported to Canada have the utility ports located differently from US models?

Canadian regulations (stupidly) required a hardwired extension cord in the center, lower hookup.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:
Anyone know why Westys imported to Canada have the utility ports located differently from US models?

Canadian regulations (stupidly) required a hardwired extension cord in the center, lower hookup.

I think it was because they were worried if the owner lost the factory cord they would stupidly use an underrated extension cord.

Our Casita has, and Escape trailers had hardwired service cords. Kind of a pain getting the cord back in the opening without bunching up! But nice to have a dedicated space for a wet mucky cord.
I prefer the removable type, but a reminder to new owners about the need for proper rated cord.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Seems kinda crazy that a Westfalia would need a big power cord..
Any idea what they had in mind?
A pair of 1500 watt heaters plugged in? (that's 25A).
I wonder what temp you could camp in with 3,000 watts of electric heat.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

One more thing… the drop down dish drainer on lid was fixed into place , no drop down.

I guess to stop Canadians from frying back bacon on it, after a few stubbies .

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
One more thing… the drop down dish drainer on lid was fixed into place , no drop down.

I guess to stop Canadians from frying back bacon on it, after a few stubbies .

Alistair

Haha...what Canadian would do that? Embarassed

I have an early 1970' Cygnet trailer (made in Moncton, New Brunswick) and it also has a hardwired heavy gage power cord.

RonC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

I assumed the big fat cord was 10 awg to handle 30 amp supply available at most RV pads but I looked at my cord (I believe it's OE) and it says 14-3 and 15 ampere (matches the onboard breaker) which makes me wonder why it's so fat. For use outdoor use? For extreme use/abuse?

Regardless, it looks like the US and Canadian standards are dummy proofed for our tiny 15 amp circuit breaker.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of how it stores back in, out of curiosity?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

that tiny cupboard to the left of the fridge gets the power cord all coiled up.
Waste of a cupboard, and as others have pointed out, pain in the ass, and dirty.
I snipped mine off, now it extracts 3 inches, and I use an extension cord, that I store elsewhere, That cupboard now houses my house battery.
There is one more difference between the Canadian Westfalias.......RUST!!!!
Thankfully I found mine that was never exposed to winters.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

OK, it’s Canadian RV regs for the win! I think MsTaboo is probably correct — a built-in power cord prevents a substandard extension cord being deployed by a potential “Darwin Award” recipient, eh?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

The VW Westfalia was classified as a "Motorhome" so far as the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) was concerned. The CSA set out specs for electric systems, propane systems, plumbing, etc for "motorhomes" and the manufacturer had to prove they were compliant in order to get the right to affix the CSA sticker.

The CSA apparently also thought Canadian Westfalia owners might use the Westfalia dish drying rack as a flat-top pancake griddle (to use up all our excess maple syrup and pea-meal bacon), whereas we all know that our American friends would never engage in such foolishness. Rolling Eyes
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Ugh - someone used my Westy drain pan to cook on, took FOREVER (and a multitude of cleaning supplies plus 8.5 gallons of elbow grease) to get it spotlessly clean again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

One other difference in the Canadian Vanagons concerns daytime running lights (aka DRLs).
These were mandated in Canada in 1990, I believe, so will only affect the last year or two of Vanagons.
There is a separate module for the DRLs.

I haven't searched the Bentley manual to see if this is covered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Van den Broke wrote:

I haven't searched the Bentley manual to see if this is covered.

It is. A few pages of electricity diagrams just for this.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

There is one more difference between the Canadian Westfalias.......RUST!!!!

To be clear and as in the US and as related to RUST, there is a major difference between east coast vs west coast Canadian Westfalias - the west coast typically used a fraction of the corrosive road salt that its the scourge of all winter driven cars, so there are far more 'pristine' options available out this way. As such, when I was undertaking my Westy search, I limited my options to west coast 'originals' only. And yes, the staggered utility boxes suck - when my unit goes in for a respray, I will be relocating my lower one to match the others.
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Westy Reply with quote

My Vanagon is originally from Quebec, then Ontario, but is fairly rust free so presumably wasn't driven in the winter over there.
I'm just North of Seattle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: