Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Special seal or was this an o-ring?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcon68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

In the process of replacing wheel bearings I noticed this "gasket" in between the 930 CV flange and the inner spacer on my stub axle. I think an o-ring normally goes here. Could this possibly have originally been an o-ring???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

Looks like the remains of a V Ring?
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

Only o-ring used is the one for the bearing cover.

See detailed breakdown on Wolfsburg West site

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113501291B
jcon68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

Yes, it sort of does, PhillipM. I didn't know what those were called. It does feel a little stiffer than an o-ring, almost plastic-like. Maybe because of that, it didn't fit perfectly at first and wore down after a while to fit.

Daddy o's 67, good to know. I just tried that smaller o-ring and it seemed way too thick.

I'm probably going to reuse whatever that thing is. It fits perfectly. It's pretty obvious that the guy who built this thing knew what he was doing.

I'm not worried about grease getting out, but I'll take any water protection I can get. I did a handful of water crossings last year and noticed a little bit of rust in the housing. Not as much on the engine side where this thing was, though.

The bearing cap (and disc brake mount) had gasket sealant on them, which I'm sure helped. I know that the paper gaskets aren't normally used for IRS but I'm going to put them in anyway instead of sealant. I'll be really happy if there's no water next year when I pull these open again to check!
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

Yes its a o ring If not replaced you will get water in the Bearing assembly especially if you like to splash thru mud puddles and do water crossings. Just use one from one of the multi size kits doesn't have to be special.
You will find it will need to be retorqued several times.
Also you need to use a o ring on the other end too the OEM setup might use one. I'm not much help because I converted to five wide drums so I have a custom spacer that fits a thin o ring i'm not using the factory parts but you really need to fit one in someplace. Yes looks like the previous owner knew a thing or two.

This is the one time I approve of silicone you could reuse that old o ring with a little silicone on both sides It would need to be the type that can take a little heat the axle will get a little warm.

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

If you want a complete seal that allows for water crossings etc. This is what I did so far so good. I used an O Ring from McMaster-Carr. Something with a 28-30mm ID and 1 or 2mm thick don't remember was a couple years ago now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcon68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

That's awesomely helpful. I've found some waterproofing threads on here, but not a ton really. Maybe I should post some after I figure out what I'm doing!

I will definitely be doing that outer o-ring mod before I take it swimming again. That's a great idea. I want to get this job buttoned up first so I can at least drive this on the street, then I've gotta fix the brakes, possibly rebuild the king pin and put in a float hole plug in the carb so I can go uphill without stalling. Hahaha, priorities!
jcon68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Special seal or was this an o-ring? Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration, haha, I think I recognize that photo. It looks like one of the youtube videos I watched 6,000 times when doing this job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: