Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp / 1600 jounals
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: 36hp / 1600 jounals Reply with quote

Yes I know another of my crazy ideas/ thinking ..ok do you guys think I would have clearance issues if I had a 36hp crankshaft with 1600cc 55mm connecting rod journals.. looking to use 40hp H beam rods have the big end cut down ....what are your guys thoughts ....
Offy 220
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp / 1600 jounals Reply with quote

Jerry, I have a DPR 36hp crankshaft stroked to 69mm with Type 1 rod journals - this crank was built years before WW came out with their stroker crank. I ended up using AA H beam rods which I had to slighly clearance to clear the "Matt Motorhead" [RIP] copy of the Super 90 grind. I am not sure about using 40hp stock rods - 1600 Type 1 rods definitely would not work without major clearancing of the rod caps.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp / 1600 jounals Reply with quote

Offy 220 wrote:
Jerry, I have a DPR 36hp crankshaft stroked to 69mm with Type 1 rod journals - this crank was built years before WW came out with their stroker crank. I ended up using AA H beam rods which I had to slighly clearance to clear the "Matt Motorhead" [RIP] copy of the Super 90 grind. I am not sure about using 40hp stock rods - 1600 Type 1 rods definitely would not work without major clearancing of the rod caps.

Thanks for the reply ... and imput I forgot to mention I was looking to do this on a 36hp 64mm crankshaft ... aa pistons makes 40hp H beam rods... I think I can ask them if they can get me the rods with smaller bolts for the connecting rods I know they sell 356 rods with 1.4x1/4 bolts if they can I think I would and can get as much clearance as possible ....
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp / 1600 jounals Reply with quote

We built a big 36 for a Bonneville engine that used 2" Buick journals and small h-beam rods. We also had the journals offset ground and gained 2mm of stroke.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp / 1600 jounals Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
We built a big 36 for a Bonneville engine that used 2" Buick journals and small h-beam rods. We also had the journals offset ground and gained 2mm of stroke.

Thatīs the way to do it. We go 78 mm stroke with narrow rods and 76 stroke with regular CB rods.
If you wanna play further you can go with 46 mm Honda journals and motorcycle rods.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: