Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Found a concerning piece of metal during an oil change yesterday:

It is magnetic and based on it's shape it doesn't seem related to rod/main bearings, lifters, rings, or valve seats.

Seems like a washer but I can't figure out where the heck it would have come from or how much I should be stressing about it.

Engine seems to be running fine, no new noises, and still has good compression.

Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Rocker arm spring washer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Rocker arm spring washer.

Thanks Glenn, I'm going to pull the valve covers and take a look tomorrow.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

I think the diameter is too large for it to be part of the rocker arm spring washer. My guess is that it's the thrust flange of the rearmost cam bearing, but that would be a lot more concerning and would likely be accompanied by some noticeable noise.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
I think the diameter is too large for it to be part of the rocker arm spring washer. My guess is that it's the thrust flange of the rearmost cam bearing, but that would be a lot more concerning and would likely be accompanied by some noticeable noise.

I thought it was the same thing. I guess it could be magnetic depending on what type of bearings were bought.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

place my bet on cam bearing
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

I can't envision something that big came from the top end. Is this a type 4?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Cam bearing flange.

If it's a type 4....stop now and put new bearings in, check and clean, new seals and count yourself lucky you caught it.

I would install a double thrust cam bearing. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Cam bearing flange.

If it's a type 4....stop now and put new bearings in, check and clean, new seals and count yourself lucky you caught it.

Crap. It is a Type 4 (2.0L) and that sure does look similar to this picture I found in another post:

I know my way around enough that I've replaced heads and pistons/cylinders before but I have yet to split a case. I do have a spare I've been planning to dig into when I get the courage, looks like the time is now.

Just to be sure, is there anyone that has a thrust bearing and is willing to humor me by measuring the outside diameter? I'm 93% sure this is what it is but you know how it is... there is always that little voice inside telling you it's something less serious... and confirming the diameter would put me up to 98% certainty.

Thanks
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

It's a cam bearing. You've saved thousands of dollars by rebuilding it now Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

That sucks, but you really dodged a bullet. It could be a lot worse.

Getting the cam bearings, camshaft and oil pump set up properly is one of those things that makes rebuilding a Type 4 so hard. It has become more complicated over the years for a number of reasons and it’s not in books.

When you get to that point, be sure to take advantage of all the knowledge and experience here. There has been so much written about it that the authors will direct you to the relevant information. I have been through the process when rebuilding after a similar problem.
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Check the oil pump to make sure the pump gear shaft hasn’t walked out of the oil pump housing and is putting pressure on the cam gear, thereby forcing the thrust face on the cam bearing to be destroyed.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

a2d2 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Cam bearing flange.

Crap. It is a Type 4 (2.0L) and that sure does look similar to this picture I found in another post:

I know my way around enough that I've replaced heads and pistons/cylinders before but I have yet to split a case. I do have a spare I've been planning to dig into when I get the courage, looks like the time is now.

Just to be sure, is there anyone that has a thrust bearing and is willing to humor me by measuring the outside diameter? I'm 93% sure this is what it is but you know how it is... there is always that little voice inside telling you it's something less serious... and confirming the diameter would put me up to 98% certainty.

Thanks
The bore for the cam shaft bearings is 1.0826-1.0834 So your picture with the outside showing 1-1/2 inch or so is a perfect match.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Vanagonsgoslow wrote:
Check the oil pump to make sure the pump gear shaft hasn’t walked out of the oil pump housing and is putting pressure on the cam gear, thereby forcing the thrust face on the cam bearing to be destroyed.

Another one of those things not in books and the problem I ended up having. Stock oil pump wouldn’t work. Switched to an aftermarket. Shoved it in. The pump drive tang was set too long and it pushed the cam into the thrust bearing. I didn’t notice it when I installed it with the engine in. I figured it out before anything happened. I found that the cam end play had opened up a lot.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
The bore for the cam shaft bearings is 1.0826-1.0834 So your picture with the outside showing 1-1/2 inch or so is a perfect match.

Thanks for confirming. I have now come to terms with my fate and am currently sitting at 99.4% certainty.

Vanagonsgoslow wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought to check that.

Thinking back, there was a trip last fall that involved a long, steep, climb before pulling over for the night.

In the morning, the van would barely turn over and wouldn't start. I checked the oil and was horrified to see it lower than I've ever seen it before. After topping it up and trying again I got it to start but if I remember correctly it didn't sound too happy at first.

I drove away counting my lucky stars that I got away with it but I guess I didn't. I've logged about 2500 problem free km's since then but it sure seems like that's what might have caused this. Sad

Got a big box of parts today, including an engine stand, so it's time to pull out the Wilson book, rewatch the BugMe video, and scour the forum for releveant threads.

Thanks everyone for the help, you guys and this forum are the best.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying a large piece of metal I found in my oil Reply with quote

Here is a link to setting up the cam and bearings for my own engine build. I had a lot of help from forum members and there are links within where this info is explained at length. It took me a lot of time to get it right as it was the first time through the process. I could probably do it a lot more quickly now. It’s worth doing as it’s one of those areas within the engine that the combination of original and aftermarket parts just don’t fit together nicely. If we were back in John Muir days when machine shop services and original parts were readily available in wouldn’t the ass ache that it is today. Those days are long gone.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=480
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: