Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi there,

i changed my 996 wheels to the old C2 D90 Wheels. 6 front an 8 x 16" in the rear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the look a lot. I just need to get the 45mm springs added and im ready to go.

Who´s also running these on his Bus? Very Happy
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Been looking at a LOT of wheels trying to find something even remotely different that will fit my 85 Westy with lowered springs. Truly wanted these, but skeptical they won’t rub:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-alzor-parts/17-style-8...ueEALw_wcB

Another option that I think I like are these:

https://www.tireagent.com/products/touren-tr9-3190-7709m-bid0

I may end up having to play it safe and go with these:

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-154820307.html?gcli...PsEALw_wcB

Considering 215/50/17’s. Any opinions which will be the best fit with the least issues?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

johnny d wrote:
i changed my 996 wheels to the old C2 D90 Wheels. 6 front an 8 x 16" in the rear.

I like the look a lot. I just need to get the 45mm springs added and im ready to go.

That does look spectacular! Applause Cool
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
johnny d wrote:

That does look spectacular! Applause Cool

thanks, actually i like them more than the 996 wheels. they make the van not too modern.
I just now hope they don´t breake. Confused

I also want to swamp the "normal" 225/50 tires against 225/55. These are nearly the same size then like the original 14 inch wheels with th 185 tires and the 225/50 looked to me a little bit flat compared to the front 205/55 tires.
here two shots:
225/50

225/55

&
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

These fit. Not sure what they are and I need one more. Anyone know where to get it?

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Mercedes wheels...I love those. They look great on a Vanagon.

Google the part # and you'll get a ton of hits.

mercedes aly 2034012802

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

6 and 8 on 20mm adapters with 45mm lowering

&
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those Design 90s really look great on a T3...I ran a full set of 8s on my Syncro B3 back in the day
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Input, please? Can’t be sure these haven’t been discussed before… Embarassed

“4 Alcar steel wheels rims 9905 7.0Jx16 ET33 5x112 for Mercedes Benz E”
Description says “from Germany”…$550, free shipping…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385087456362?mkcid=16&...;media=SMS

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

They look great, only thing I would be worried about is are center Bores correct. I’m not 100% on Vanagons but bay bus will need the center clearance enlarged to 67mm to fit the front hub.

I believe on Vanagons , those Mecedes wheels fit fine.

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
ss1642
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I know there are many tire/wheel options, but I am thinking about making it simple and going with the GW rally style or the alloy wheel tire package (Michelin defenders). I have a 85 1.9 with stock wheels.

What are the pro and cons 15" vs 16"? Thanks!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I like 15's on a vanagon or syncro.

Here's my '85 with Porsche 16" Fuchs
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2062660.jpg

And here it is with 15's (& tall tires off my syncro)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2057785.jpg

Later, with 14" fronts, and 15's rear
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2132517.jpg

BTW, be sure to check campervanculture for rims. Sometimes, the price is better even with the shipping from the UK

https://campervanculture.com/?s=VW+T25+T3+Vanagon+...0&fs=1

https://gowesty.com/products/15-steel-wheel-2wd-4wd-bus-vanagon?_pos=45&_sid=1ab7061d1&_ss=r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:
Just got a set of Mercedes 18" 8,5 ET35 for free.

Anyone know what Mercedes they came from?

Three of them is a little dented on the inside.
Did straigthen them by following a how to on youtube.
Heated to 200° C and used the jack to straigthen.
Managed to get them "ok"according to the tire ballancing man.

Hey that's interesting ! I saw a utube straightening a wheel where the guy said 400° was hot enough. I don't remember if it was C or F
Can you post a link to the vid you saw ?

I have a forged BBS with a slight bend on the inner bead, maybe 1/4" deflection from round at the most.
Bend like this is approximately $100-$150 to fix by a pro. I'd love to diy it. Porta power and aerospace grade fabrication tables at my work. I'd love to see another tutorial before I try it. Not too worried about cracking cause they are forged for certain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danbeerpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

thinking about upgrading from the steelies i'm currently running on my '86 2WD, i'll post a couple i've seen on marketplace for expert opinions while i read through 172 pages here.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/23240042...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/11649256...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/59765411...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/12914358...3205c4855d

thank in advance,

Dan
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

danbeerpig wrote:
thinking about upgrading from the steelies i'm currently running on my '86 2WD, i'll post a couple i've seen on marketplace for expert opinions while i read through 172 pages here.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/23240042...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/11649256...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/59765411...3205c4855d

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/12914358...3205c4855d

thank in advance,

Dan

Didn't spend much time checking out these listings, but, 1st won't fit, 2nd listing, you'll need spacers, 3rd, not sure if that bolt pattern actually exists, 4th,, well, i lost interest...
Général Blasphème F.M.B.C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Materials

4 X OEM Mercedes 190 Gullideckel Wheels P/N 201 401 1102, 15X6 ET49 "Lemmers"
4 X 20mm Hubcentric 5x112 Wheel Spacers | 66.56mm Hub
10 X 14x1.5 Thread 80mm Length 63mm Shank For Porsche front conversion studs
10 X Rear Wheel Lug Stud 40743002001 Compatible with Porsche 911 930 944 2.7L 3.0L 3.3L 72MM
20 X White Knight 1709S-20AM Chrome M14x1.50 Bulge Acorn Lug Nut
20 X empi 9508 vw bug buggy lug bolt adapter ball seat washers 60 degree acorn to metric
4 X MERCEDES WHEEL RAISED CENTER CAPS Silver HUBCAPS 75MM
4 X WOLFSBURG Flat 65MM Wheel Center stickers (Painted Aluminum, all over Etsy)

Tools

1/2" Breaker Bar 18" Long
1/2" 19MM Socket
3/4" Breaker Bar 40" Long
3/4" 46MM Socket
Hole saw from Ace that slips over the front grease cap (2 1/4" I think)
Wire Brush
Metric Allen Key Set
9/16" Drill Bit
Drill
Substantial Hammer
Vise
1" round 4" Long Hunk 'O Brass

Instructions

Drill out the stud holes on the wheels with the drill bit. On these wheels it is fairly easy since the whole wheel is aluminum as opposed to the OEM Mercedes Bundt wheels that have steel inserts. You might go one step up on the drill bit size, the size I used is on the smaller side and the wheels hang up the first time you put them on.

Remove Front Wheel.

The spacer will not fit over the raised lip on the outside of the grease cap. Use the hole saw to remove the outer lip from the grease cap. Gentle light pressure (practically none) will take it right off, getting physical will make the hole saw keep hanging up and binding because the fit between them is very close, then it strips the threads on the hole saw, and then it's another trip to Ace. Also, don't get all excited like I did and install the studs first, it makes this step that much harder with no clearance to maneuver. Lastly, don't think you are going get a little rotary file bit and put it in your drill and trim the lip off the grease cap. (the 'several hours later' meme goes here). These are heavy duty grease caps and they are not made like typical American grease caps - the lip is solid and not crimped.

Clean the rust and gunk off wheel mounting surface with the wire brush. The spacer fits flush over most of this surface and you want it clean and flat. I used a round wire brush on a battery drill.

Install the studs into the hub with red Loctite on the threads that go into the hub using an Allen Key.

Install the wheel with the lug nuts and the EMPI adapters. You have to really want these wheels. Not every one can be (or even wants to be) a Franco-German aesthete who insists that the only properly styled wheel for a Vanagon is the one that was inadvertently created by Mercedes to fully capture the sort of "Engineer Boot' blueprint motif of the Vanagon. It's a hell of lot easier to order a wheel tire package from a vendor and bolt 'em up, but then it's not the same, is it? You don't get to grapple with three different ball seat diameters, 14MM/12MM, offset, backspacing, etc. And you end up with those eight hole Mercedes wheels that just don't visually match a Vanagon.

Remove Rear wheel.

Well, don't do that first. You are going to have to remove the hub in the back and to do that you should leave it on the ground and use the 40" breaker bar to loosen the nut. The new studs are too long to fit in the hole in the hub with the space available to the backing plate. Once it is broken loose, take off the back wheel. You can use that EMPI 5749 tool and a 1/2" Breaker and a hammer and all that, but it is an ordeal, and once you mount the new studs the EMPI tool won't fit anymore and you're going to have to end up buying the breaker bar and socket anyway.

Pull the drum and the hub off, and hammer out the old studs while supporting the hub on the vise. Clean up the mounting surface with the wire brush, flip the hub over and install the new studs with the hammer and hunk 'o brass. You don't need to take them somewhere and get them hydraulically pressed. It's also a good opportunity to put on new brake drums, and the Bendix brand that is shipping right now from Amazon are not the cheap all cast ones, but the nice machined on the outside ones at $40ish each.

Take the raised wheel centers and pop off the Mercedes emblems and stick on the Wolfsburg emblems. You will have to 'cup' them some, but not much and you can do it with your thumbs and then check the fit before you stick them on.

Gather up all the parts and tools and you be rolling in a few hours, and not days like I spent discovering many of the ways not to do this.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Here's a wheel project for some unfazed by cost...
Penta centers for BBS lips and barrels. Build as needed for the right ET or an et that can work with spacers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325685878284?mkcid=16&...media=COPY

Save to your eBay and the next day or so you'll probably get an offer (I did) for a little off the price. Total cost for this project, around $2500 including lips, barrels, nuts and screws, tube of sealant, locktite...my guestimate, not including painting or the hardware from t3 technique to mount them.
Be the only one on your block, your suburb, city or even your whole state with these 😎 I'm not affiliated with this sale and get no kickback on it.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I likey...but am fazed by this

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Oh my....if I'd noticed that I wouldn't have posted them. That's a deal breaker for sure.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So after hitting a brick wall getting the Alzors to fit I purchased a set of AMG 5 spokes. 17x7.5 and 17x8.5. 37 and 34 ET respectively. Fronts running 215 and 225 rear. Bought the GW stud and spacer kit. Used the spacers on the front.

Wheels had some curb rash but a local guy who also does some work for my side business repaired then and powdered them balck. Its a little tight on the door but does clear. Hopefully when I put door panels back on it will be ok. Front probably has 5-7 mm clearance.

After jacking around with the passengers side nut for 2 hours I cut them off. Zero chance they were coming off otherwise.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 172 of 174

Jump to: