Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which looks best?
The original style
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
The traditional 2 tone
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
The custom 2 tone
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

I've now got to the point where I have to decide if my rebuild is going to remain in one colour, or go 2 tone. Since it's going from "New Beetle" to "Retro" style, I think the 2 tone might suit it quite nicely, but I've only applied white primer so far so it'll be easy to go back to the single colour if necessary.

And no, going back to the proper Super shade of metallic blue is not an option - way too much hassle at this stage in the game!

Choices:

The original style:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The traditional 2 tone:

The custom 2 tone:

Quick mockup of all three:

Last edited by mj2k on Mon May 29, 2023 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

That’s the thing about Beetles, they wear colors very well.

Don’t think I ever saw a color or colors that didn’t fit on an ACVW.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
That’s the thing about Beetles, they wear colors very well.

Don’t think I ever saw a color or colors that didn’t fit on an ACVW.

Yeah, they do look rather good Thumbs Up

Bet bubblegum pink and metallic yellow 2 tone wouldn't look great though Very Happy
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

I vote against "custom 2 tone"

Doesn't do anything for me at all 🤷‍♂️
I'm building this '69

Fenders, running boards and hoods will be in green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

Cjschriver wrote:
I vote against "custom 2 tone"

Doesn't do anything for me at all 🤷‍♂️
I'm building this '69

Fenders, running boards and hoods will be in green

Looking good Thumbs Up

Yeah, I take your point, I have seen some pics of nice-looking custom 2 tone paintwork, but get it wrong and it looks like it's trying to be a 1980s Cadillac Seville Laughing

Think I'm going to be sticking with black running boards - colour-coded ones cost a fortune in England. Which gives another point against the custom 2 tone since it'd effectively be 3 tone then.

The classic 2 tone does have some appeal though - the single colour (Night Blue metallic from a Golf) is pretty dark, so the car seems a bit slab-sided and breaking that up a bit would be good.

From the practical side the white in 2 tone paintwork's much quicker / cheaper to do (that night blue paint needs at least 3 coats and a lacquer) but it does show up dirt / blemishes more, which is not good given the dented and frequently patched side panels behind the doors. I'm going to have to replace those sometime otherwise they'll, er, bug me if you excuse the pun.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

For me, it would be #3, single color all around, 2nd choice would be #1.
#2 doesn't appeal to me at all.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

Looking like the same outcome on here as in another forum (a Subaru one!) - no love at all for the 'custom 2 tone' so I think I can put that idea in the trash Laughing

All one colour is winning on here, 50-50 between single colour and traditional 2 tone with Subaru owners, which is the opposite to what I expected....
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
Bet bubblegum pink and metallic yellow 2 tone wouldn't look great though Very Happy

Bet it would 🤔
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

My side panels in white, are actually an off-white but only slightly. My green running boards are not the ones with the rubber on top, straight stainless steel from J bugs. I don't like the two-tone in super high contrast with a dark color. Frankly my green isn't the green that I had in mind, but it grew on me and it's close enough. This is what I was going for...

That's what I had in mind
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

Cjschriver wrote:
My side panels in white, are actually an off-white but only slightly. My green running boards are not the ones with the rubber on top, straight stainless steel from J bugs. I don't like the two-tone in super high contrast with a dark color. Frankly my green isn't the green that I had in mind, but it grew on me and it's close enough. This is what I was going for...

That's what I had in mind

I think mine would actually look better with dark grey side panels to go with the dark colour, etch primer grey of all things Smile But then it'd look like I just hadn't bothered to paint it, so that's a no-no.

Practical reasons say I should stick to a non metallic / pearlescent colour for the side panels - if I'm going to be chopping out the panels behind the doors at some point (more likely sooner rather than later) it'd be stupid to spend a lot of time and money getting the blending and finish right only to stick a grinder though it and have to start all over again...

Still, at least I know the Night Blue metallic has been on the car for well over a decade and is still fairly easy to paint match, unlike it's correct Gemini Metallic colour, so whatever I decide isn't going to involve a full respray.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
mj2k wrote:

Bet it would 🤔

I don't want to try yet since it'd make me hungry (we have chewy sweets called Rhubarb and Custard in the UK which are that colour) but I found a clone of a long-dead site which allows you to mess with Beetle / Super paint and trim here:

https://games.todojuegosgratis.es/game/bug-selecta#

So one of us should give it a try and screenshot the results Very Happy

(with a bit of further messing it's how I created my 3 impressions above)

Edit: actually you're right, I took the risk of wanting to go out and buy a big bag of kid's sweets and put pink / yellow in as colours, and it didn't look anywhere near as bad as I expected! Wonder if there are any really, really nasty colour combos?

There's a challenge for someone...
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick poll: single colour, traditional 2 tone or 'custom' 2 tone Reply with quote

Ok, I really wasn't expecting this - chucked a few bits back on the bug to keep them safe, and, er, call me tasteless, but I actually rather like this:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: