Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package! Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
We should rename this to "all about ferrules." That being said, I was about to buy a cb trigger kit but they're out of stock so figured I'd give this fellow a try. I've been wanting better vacuum advance control and a TPS should do that for me. And, I even bought a bag of ferrules and crimp tool to go with it.

I’m glad you got some ferrules! I was just about to email everyone thats ordered one to suggest adding ferrules to the connections. I’ll be doing some research and testing this weekend to see what ferrules fit, so if the ones you ordered don’t fit, definitely send me an email and I can send some your way…once I find some that fit properly, of course.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package! Reply with quote

I have an assorted bag of too many. I'll let you know which works best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package! Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
94touring wrote:
We should rename this to "all about ferrules." That being said, I was about to buy a cb trigger kit but they're out of stock so figured I'd give this fellow a try. I've been wanting better vacuum advance control and a TPS should do that for me. And, I even bought a bag of ferrules and crimp tool to go with it.

I’m glad you got some ferrules! I was just about to email everyone thats ordered one to suggest adding ferrules to the connections. I’ll be doing some research and testing this weekend to see what ferrules fit, so if the ones you ordered don’t fit, definitely send me an email and I can send some your way…once I find some that fit properly, of course.

Personally, I do not think this discussion has detracted from your thread at all. You are diligently answering questions about features....and improvements. The ferrules are simply a cheap improvement.

Its sad. I have only used wire ferrules on screw downs on industrial electronics in my industry. There is a lot I have forgotten about them...including.... Rolling Eyes ...that the small ones like 16-22 AWG....can use "hexagonal" crimping which is excellent!

It greatly compacts the wire core bundle...very similar if not exact to what you get out of a "barrel" crimp on the expensive terminals. Its far better than the square crimp that I posted about earlier...and even that is not terrible.

The other nice thing about a hex crimp ferrules is that its close-er enough to round to allow using it on standard screw downs that are made for round ferrules as well as square crimp terminals.

Here is what they look like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And you can get a serviceable Hex crimper for ~$20-$30 in Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Hexagonal-Preciva-Self-Adju...0229726911

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package! Reply with quote

Thanks to the magic of Amazon overnight shipping, I have an answer to the ferrule suggestion.

Looks like the best option is 18 awg NON-Insulated ferrules. Hex crimped or square crimped both work, though the hex crimpers I tried seem to crimp a bit tighter, making it so the wire lips right into the screw terminal. Best of all, it's about $8 for 1000 of them. Insulated ferrules take up too much space, but can probably be made to work if needed
Ferrules will be included in all orders moving forward with the recommendation of putting them on all connections, although it's not strictly necessary for installation.

Thanks for the suggestions, that was a super simple and cost effective way to improve reliability!

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Affordable Crank Trigger Ignition Package! Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Thanks to the magic of Amazon overnight shipping, I have an answer to the ferrule suggestion.

Looks like the best option is 18 awg NON-Insulated ferrules. Hex crimped or square crimped both work, though the hex crimpers I tried seem to crimp a bit tighter, making it so the wire lips right into the screw terminal. Best of all, it's about $8 for 1000 of them. Insulated ferrules take up too much space, but can probably be made to work if needed
Ferrules will be included in all orders moving forward with the recommendation of putting them on all connections, although it's not strictly necessary for installation.

Thanks for the suggestions, that was a super simple and cost effective way to improve reliability!

Very good!
You can use heat shrink in place of the insulation collar that the ferrules have which is really just a form of stain relief. A short piece of heat shrink will allow a slight curve and no kink at the wire to ferrule joint. Its the same thing I use when recycling D-jet ECU terminals (part 2 of my D-jet harness thread coming up within a day).

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: