Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why you should paint before seam sealer
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Why you should paint before seam sealer Reply with quote

Whilst searching myself for locations of seam sealer used on bug bodies I came across an old photo of my body off restoration and why you should paint before seam sealing.

The photo doesn't show it very well but the original paint on the inner quarter panel and wheel well was in great condition. The paint itself had been copiously covered with adhesive to variously hold the bitumen insulation over the wheel well and the for the padding above the wheel well. The discoloration on the upper part of the quarter panel was not rust, but the remnants of the adhesive smeared over the metal. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo after I removed the adhesive as I wire wheeled everything off.

You can clearly see the rust belt underneath the factory seam sealer. It was heavily pitted and required a fair bit of wire wheeling and rust treatment.

This is positive proof that the unprotected seam covered by seam sealer is not the best way to proceed. You MUST paint the seam first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Why you should paint before seam sealer Reply with quote

I wonder if different years and factories followed different procedures? I pulled a piece of original seam sealer off the firewall joint just above the area you show in your picture and the sealer was placed on top of the original primer (which looked brand new under the sealer) and the seam sealer had been painted over with the original paint, essentially sealing the sealer between paint and primer layers. This was on a Belgium-built '64.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you should paint before seam sealer Reply with quote

Yep. Seam sealer doesn't always adhere as well as paint. Can let moisture in.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you should paint before seam sealer Reply with quote

Slow-N-Rusty wrote:
I wonder if different years and factories followed different procedures? I pulled a piece of original seam sealer off the firewall joint just above the area you show in your picture and the sealer was placed on top of the original primer (which looked brand new under the sealer) and the seam sealer had been painted over with the original paint, essentially sealing the sealer between paint and primer layers. This was on a Belgium-built '64.

I have worked on German made and Australian made Beetles over the years and both factories seemed to have followed the same procedure. The picture I showed was from a 68 Euro owned by the family since new. Other locations were equally bad.

VW used to have advertisements back in the day showing how the whole car was dipped in primer after the body was made. Not sure if any seam sealer had been applied at that stage, but you seem to suggest on your car that the primer WAS there before the seam sealer was applied.

Who knows what sort of paint was used 50 years ago as primer?

I'm sure that there are examples of perfectly intact seam sealer paint/primer around but in my case, mine was as shown.

Even though I live in an area with a climate similar to California, neglect of the car sitting around in the rain with ineffective window seals led to the problems you see.

So my suggestion still stands. It's better to be safe than sorry and use a "good" paint in the area under the seam sealer. That's what I'm doing on mine. Clean the surface of rust, then paint with KBS/MS/POR15/Epoxy primer.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you should paint before seam sealer Reply with quote

The best would be to epoxy, then seam seal, then paint. They do make "Bare-Metal Seam Sealer" but I wouldn't trust it on a restoration.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: