Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Burley has some great products, but I suggest you investigate those ball joints further.
Lemforder or Moog are the only ball joints that people have had a long life from.
Do a search here on the forum. The lower ball joints are a bear to install, you really only want to do them once.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

rubber bushings are a mistake, yes i agree 30 years ago they were made to last, these days, ha, nope they won't last.
my westy lucy, got a new rubber bushing front end a couple of weeks after our son was born, he's 5 now, 2 years ago i had to replace them, this time with powerflex, those rubber bushings were done and rubbish, in under 3 years and 20k miles.
i've had to change out 2 other front ends i originally did with rubber, i won't ever do another rubber bushing front end, i have one in a box, and that's where it's going to stay.
upgraded sway bars are no substitute for a worn out front end, start with the basic powerflex kit, upper and lower ball joints tie rods and tie rod ends.
less than that you are looking at more than one front end alignment.
the sway bar, shocks and springs won't have much to do with an alignment.
down the road, when funds allow look at shocks, springs and sway bar upgrades.

619 201 0310
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
rubber bushings are a mistake, yes i agree 30 years ago they were made to last, these days, ha, nope they won't last.

I totally understand that the topic of bushings can also be very subjective. Maybe important to note that Burley's kit has a mix of rubber and poly with a nice article to support why they recommend poly for some areas and rubber for others.

https://burleymotorsports.net/technical-articles/the-making-of-burley-bushings/

I'm certainly no expert on the topic--just passing along the information.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Burley has some great products, but I suggest you investigate those ball joints further.
Lemforder or Moog are the only ball joints that people have had a long life from.
Do a search here on the forum. The lower ball joints are a bear to install, you really only want to do them once.

Thanks for the post--this was something that I had not considered. Unfortunately, the reading on different makes of ball joints has me a bit stumped. There are cases where the Moog joints have also had a short life; I wasn't really able to discern a clear front-runner between the different options.

Still wrapping my head around the procedure for all of this work. I understand that some parts need to be pressed into place: lower ball joints and UCA bushings (plus a spot weld for the UCA bushings according to GW(???))
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Thinking more about my strategy here as the front-end rebuild is expensive and time-consuming when doing it all in one-shot.

With my priorities being to eliminate squeaking (which I believe is most-likely the UCA bushings) and improve shock and spring response, I believe that my efforts and money could be more focused on certain areas, rather than replacing EVERYTHING. Some folks pointed this out earlier in the thread. Wink

From what I've learned, I believe that a good first-pass at fixing my issues would be to focus on the following parts:

-UCA Bushings
-Upper Ball Joints
-Shocks (Front and Rear)
-Springs (Front and Rear)
-Spring shims, etc..

It looks like the other aspects of the front end could be addressed down the road, as needed, without "undoing" the work listed above. That list includes:

-LCA Bushing
-Lower Ball Joints
-Radius Rod Bushings
-End Links
-Sway bar (bushings, etc...)

Thoughts on this approach? This thread has been a journey Laughing Thanks to those that have contributed.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Just an opinion:
Upper control arm bushings
Sway bay bushings, all, but consider a HD sway bar and get appropriate hardware/bushings.
Steering rack bushings

All from T3

Get your ball joints assessed, no need to change out parts with no play.
Still got money left,
Do the springs and shocks, and now since you are that deep into it, replace the radius rod bushings, likely they are worn, and consider lower control arm bushings.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Steering rack bushings

Symptoms of worn steering rack bushings? This seems like something I could do after I assess the UCA bushings first.

The van is my daily driver, and I work on van projects on the weekend; important that I'm up and running Monday morning. With that said, no time to assess the ball joints before replacing as I'll need to have parts on-hand at the time an issue is found. Figured that I might as well replace the 30 y/o parts either way.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Trying to educate myself on the topic of bump stops, shock hardware and shims.

How does one know if a bump stop needs replacing?

Shock hardware - should I have this purchased and on-hand for the job? Important that I can knock the project out in a weekend (no time to wait on more parts to ship)

Shims - any suggestion for what it's going to take to level a westy (side-to-side) with a few bikes on a hitch mount (front-to-back)?

Thx!
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Wellington wrote:
Steering rack bushings

Symptoms of worn steering rack bushings? This seems like something I could do after I assess the UCA bushings first.

The van is my daily driver, and I work on van projects on the weekend; important that I'm up and running Monday morning. With that said, no time to assess the ball joints before replacing as I'll need to have parts on-hand at the time an issue is found. Figured that I might as well replace the 30 y/o parts either way.

I replaced my rack bushings with Powerflex some months ago. The old rubber bushings were still in good shape. With the poly bushings, the steering is much tighter, much less prone to rut following and much less influenced by wind gusts. Do yourself a favor and do these at the same time - makes much more difference that you would imagine! The Powerflex were $49 from T3 IIRC, and the Whiteline (which Chris says are just as good in the rack location) were half that last I looked.

Your money and time, but it's a big bang for small'ish bucks.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

UPDATE:

After ordering parts, moving to another state and pondering the work sequence (aka: over analyzing)....I completed the project today! Still need to take it in for an alignment, scheduled for next Monday.

I ended up replacing: rear shocks/springs (and lower spring pad), front shocks/springs, UCA bushings and upper ball joints. I used Schwenk springs and Koni reds. I added spring shims to the back and 1 to the front drivers side (westy lean)--all shims came from Schwenk. The lower spring pads came from Buslab. I used Moog ball joints and Nolathane urethane bushings and Bushing Snot (T3)

As thoroughly noted in other threads, the rear was a breeze. I didn't have a helper to push the control arm down to get the spring out, so I wedged my small bottle jack between the edge of the upper spring perch and control arm to pry it open. Wasn't sure about this technique, but I did it slowly and never suspected anything negative happening. Something I did have to adapt to was that the Koni mounts are larger/wider than the stock receivers, so you have to pry them open to accept the Koni mounts.

The front took me 3 days total because I'm slow, and I overthink things. I'm also terrified of the van falling, so I use multiple jacks and jack stands. I did the drivers side first, and it took me 2 days; lots learned on that side, and the passenger side was completed in less than 5 hours on the 3rd day.

I packed the hell out of the UCA bushings with Bushing Snot, so crossing my fingers that takes care of any squeaking like some others have experienced with urethane.

One regret: I wish that I would've planned to replace the lower drop link bushing as I had to disengage the link to get the lower control arm low enough to remove/install the spring. The bushings were completely out at one point so it would've made sense to replace them (a "do it while you're in there" move).

Next: CV joints. Not looking forward to it. Sad
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

Hey Porter,

How did those CVs go?

And just as importantly, how are all of those suspension upgrades holding up? I'm about to go through this exercise myself, was doing research, and came across this thread. You did quite a bit of research so I wonder if you've got any more "lessons learned" points for someone about to embark on this big project. ??

Thanks!
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

I would do:

Koni shocks (waaaaay better than the GoWesty XHD Bilsteins)
T3 Technique steering rack stiffener + front anti roll bar
Powerflex UCA bushings
Powerflex steering bushings
Powerflex upper shock absorber bushing

This will give you much better handling and great stability during highway driving.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

@ therastavan

I agree with you... very good advice...

all my 2WD have Koni shocks... the Syncros have Old man EMU shocks...
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Upgrade - Suggested Parts List? Reply with quote

therastavan wrote:
I would do:

T3 Technique steering rack stiffener + front anti roll bar
Powerflex UCA bushings
Powerflex steering bushings
Powerflex upper shock absorber bushing

This will give you much better handling and great stability during highway driving.

These are all on my list but I'm going to check out T3's EXP Adjustable shocks once they're back in stock. I've heard only good things so far.

Thanks again for the information, folks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: