Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 57 vert project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Oh yeah I beat the rear brackets back into shape. Needs a bit more but they match better than the replacements. I'll get them back on after it is media blasted there. Made a wood buck to bang them back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Ground the nuts all off and cleaned up the originals. Here is one compared to a WW one, WW is plated.

Also having problems with Gerson's lower rocker covers nuts stripping. Trying to torque the pan down and they are stripping with less than 10 lbs. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I am only hand tightening them, scared they will fall out when driving. Maybe I'll locktite them.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I finished cleaning up the front and epoxy primed the inner fender wells. I didn't take any pictures, I forgot. I decided to get help with the fitment. I want the lines to be as good as can be so I dropped it off at Gab-Fab. Danny is going to weld it on for me and get the hood fitted. He will post some pictures as he goes. I take forever so at least while that is getting done I can finish the motor.

My replacement head is supposed to be in the mail. I'll get it fitted and valve clearance measured, flycut as much as possible. The SS pistons have been a learning experience.

I finished the inside of the case, knocked all of the sharp edges off. Need to clearance the rods sides. They are tight. I'll take some pics of the replacement heads when they arrive, L7's. I will be switching over and posting motor posts.

I switched from my Berg Power Pulley to a JayCee one. I need to have it machined for a hidden trigger. All the talk of heavy pulleys got to me.

I also matched the oil pump to the case. The case hole is bigger than the spot and where the oring is. I ported it close to the edge. I'd rather not have the oil suction hole ported into the oring. You can see how it goes into the oring area. Would almost wish it wasn't oringed. It is a Berg pump.

I have to work on the vert top too. Get it stripped and in epoxy.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Been awhile without any updates. I moved, been busy with that and decided to have a pro weld on the front clip. Anyway she’s been at Gab-Fab. Here’s what Danny has been doing. I need to get back on the motor too, never finished it.

https://www.facebook.com/danny.gabbard.7/media_set...amp;type=3
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Got the clip welded on. Finishing up the little odds and ends. Need to put a few beads on reinforcement plates, drill badge holes, weld the hood release tube back on and pull hood hinge out 5 mm.

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

jason wrote:

My replacement head is supposed to be in the mail.

I just pictured that Laughing Wink

Great job so far, keep up the good work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

So I made a pulling jig out of some remnants. I tried it on the hood hinge and pulled it a few mm. It was really flexible in that area and kept springing back. I ended up using a slide hammer. I anchor it to my tow hitch and the front beam.

I also used it to pull the headlight buckets out. They were a little crooked. I pulled them so it was 6mm all the way around. The little piece of wood I made to the contour of the bucket to tap on the back while under load. I checked the spacing with an NOS ring I have.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I worked on one side this week. I just need to find some rear dimensions. My friend smacked the passenger side so I want to make sure everything is where it should be.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Did some work on the fuel system. Doing a return style. Used 3/8 stainless hard line in the tunnel. Try not to do anything permanent or easily reversible. CB makes a tank adapter in 1/4. I drilled and tapped it in 3/8 npt. Used the body positioning hole for the bracket mount, no extra holes. The ends I used are out of stock everywhere for straights. Tried to use 90's in the front but cant get around the one. Will make it easier to go FI.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

jason wrote:

Any updates here? Project seems to have stalled.

I'm wondering how the earlier tops attach to the rear of the body. I see the wood tack strip, but how does the tack strip attach to the body metal?

I see a line of holes around the rear arch (or arc) of the body, what goes in those holes, screws?

I have a '65 vert over here that I think uses the same type wood tack strip, but there are NO holes in the body. My web search has found only a couple other cars with NO holes, most other early verts have a line of holes here.

Can't figure this out.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Haven’t worked on it for a while. The holes had nails in them and leaded over. They rusted so they loosened up. There are little tabs that also attach to the wood.

I was metal finishing the rear lid but dont think i took any pictures, slow tedious process for me. I need to resume on that.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Dude! Thanks for catching this and the quick reply. Well, I know how it goes when progress dies down, I know all too well.

Anyway, that's a good piece of the puzzle for me, now to figure out why this car I'm looking at has no holes at all. Maybe the old nail heads are there, and the shanks rotted out with the wood, giving the appearance that there's nothing there. I'll have to take a closer look, the car's about 2 hours from me, so it'll be a while.

I hope your project picks up again, seemed like you got a lot of goodness into it already.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Can't figure this out.

Figured it out (it's in the Bentley): 65 to 66 (and very early 67's actually) did not have the nails through the body to the rear body bow (a.k.a. tack strip). So there was a period of 27 months where they transitioned from a long line of nails (early verts to '64) until they welded on the large 'U' channel (for the later REAR tensioning wire), explaining why a few examples here and there have nothing but a smooth arc of sheet metal above the deck lid, those examples being 65's and 66's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: