Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder number one running lean
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

All of a sudden it sounded like I had an exhaust leak. After a little poking around I found that when I remove plug wire found number one cylinder it stops. I pulled the plug and it looked like it running lean on that one cylinder. I adjusted the valves (they did have some play in them). And it made no difference, if anything it got worse. The engine is a 1679 with a 34 pict 3 carburetor and a pertronix svda electronic distributor.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

So.... fix the exhaust leak.

Or it's leaking at the head/cylinder, not so easy to fix, but maybe re-torquing the head studs would help.
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

@modok I can’t find an exhaust leak, that’s what’s puzzling me. I’m hoping it’s not leaking between the cylinder and the block.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

skiter8198 wrote:
@modok I can’t find an exhaust leak, that’s what’s puzzling me. I’m hoping it’s not leaking between the cylinder and the block.

Leaking cylinder and block spigots, won't cause an exhaust leak sound. They'll just leak oil.

Suggest looking for a vacuum leak in the induction system. One cylinder running lean in a single carb induction system, is an indication of a vacuum leak.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
skiter8198 wrote:

Leaking cylinder and block spigots, won't cause an exhaust leak sound. They'll just leak oil.

Suggest looking for a vacuum leak in the induction system. One cylinder running lean in a single carb induction system, is an indication of a vacuum leak.

Agreed. The noise might be compression slipping by the head. Seen lots of stock motors with loud, slapping heads. The head studs get loose (pulling out of the case) and that allows the cylinders to “slap” the case when the BOOM happens!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok, so after looking at it again I found the issue (not sure how I missed it the first time). The exhaust stud backed it way out. These are new heads from aa performance with only a few hundred miles on them. The studs came installed in the heads when I purchased them and I never removed them and installed loctite. I installed a new stud with loctite and problem solved. Also I when through and checked all the others and found most a little lose, some more than others.

The next time I buy new heads and they came with studs already installed, I will remove all the studs and reinstall with loctite.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

Well, that'll make it pop on decel.

Good on you for looking closely.

Buying a set of heads, with the studs uninstalled. Is no guarantee that the studs will stay where you install them.

I bought a set of US made heads a few years back. After using red loktite on the studs. They still backed out when I was removing the exhaust nuts.
Those heads had less than 1K miles on um.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Well, that'll make it pop on decel.

Good on you for looking closely.

Buying a set of heads, with the studs uninstalled. Is no guarantee that the studs will stay where you install them.

I bought a set of US made heads a few years back. After using red loktite on the studs. They still backed out when I was removing the exhaust nuts.
Those heads had less than 1K miles on um.

Even the "permanent, high-temp" Loctite 271 loosens about 500 F. Next time use Rocksett or Vibra-Tite Hot-Lock. Both are good up to 2000 F.
Yes, I am going to deviate from the dogma of St Ferdinand. This heretic will use HVX mods, oil coolers, solid rockers, and 8 dowel cranks. IME they help, even on an otherwise stock engine. Deal with it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

It fell out because it was loose.
Threadlocker or locknuts are not going to fix that problem.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

I find that on new exhaust gaskets I need to check them several times in the first heat cycles. The gaskets seem to continue to crush for a while. Also I like the copper exhaust nuts. They don't tend to seize on the studs so the studs stay in the heads. No lock nuts for me, I would rather have the nuts come loose than the studs. Loose studs wiggle out the holes in the head and then the next thing that happens is the studs pull out of the heads!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder number one running lean Reply with quote

If they came undone they were probably not torqued up enough to properly crush the gaskets, so vibration performs the crush and then everything is a bit loose.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: