Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWoA service Kombis 1956, the Schulwagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

A few pics of this amazing bus from OCTO right before the gates were opened.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Far and away my favorite bus at OCTO. Amazing how this was put together so quickly from January until June. And Lind was super cool explaining the history behind the bus and fielding questions from the crowd.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Unreal, what's the backstory on it? Anyone know?

srfndoc wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Unreal, what's the backstory on it? Anyone know?

srfndoc wrote:

Thatís one of Bobís barndoors. I made a play for them a few years ago when I learned about them while I was buying an ultra rare 62 Golde sunroof Ghia from him and later a stretched double cab, but he had them earmarked for someone else. Bod thought it was an empty ambulance and had two, one a roached ambulance with some of the kit and the ďemptyĒ one which was this one which he was thinking a guy could put the two together to make a complete ambulance. I know Bob used to buy a lot of cars down in Texas in the 70s but not sure if this one came from there.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Fairly long story on this one. Parts of it can be read in my next transporter talk column in HotVWs. You can also listen to the letstalkdubs podcast or watch that on youtube. Shin filmed some stuff near the end of octo which will probably end up on the hotVWs youtube.

I will post plenty of detailed stuff here when I get a chance. I am currently a few days from the end of a 2500 mile road trip, so I don't have time to write it up until I get home.

Long story short, I didn't build the fantasy/tribute bus that I first intended to build out of my '57 kombi. Instead I found a highly optioned '55 barndoor kombi, bought it, discovered that it was the car that it was actually an original schulwagen, and spent the last five months restoring it. I debuted it at the VWoA IDBuzz rollout show and then OCTO.

I was hugely fortunate to buy it, and restore it on a very short timeline with the massive help of many very talented and kind people.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Some photos I took today, it was super cool with a lot of neat options.

Options off the top of head (may be forgetting some):
6 pop-out Bus (Uncommon for a Barndoor)
Safaris
Cab divider
Ambulance fan
Full width dash

I want to know how heavy it felt to drive around with all of that stuff in the back Smile but missed seeing Lind by the Bus to hear about it directly.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

so freaking cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Safaris
Cab divider
Ambulance fan
Full width dash

I want to know how heavy it felt to drive around with all of that stuff in the back Smile but missed seeing Lind by the Bus to hear about it directly.

Rear hatch
Passenger side mirror (not currently installed)

Most optioned BD as far as I know. All exciting options too. From my observations, most non ambulance buses with the Behr scoop have six popouts.

It is fairly heavy, but I have not really driven it very far. Less than a mile on it since restoration.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

PERFECT! Thatís exactly the spares & tool kit that everyone needs in their vintage VW. Wink

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Wow, what a monster!

Interesting it has what looks like Westfalia applied brown paint on the long wall window section.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Unreal. Well done, Lind!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

I canít imagine a better owner for this bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Wow, what a monster!

Interesting it has what looks like Westfalia applied brown paint on the long wall window section.

It is just one of many colors of paint that were applied to this bus. I joke that a previous owner must have worked at a paint store because there were so many layers and colors of paint. Generally there were ten layers of paint and primer that we stripped off of the outside.

The colors I found:

Blue
Black
White
Silver
Red
Blue
Grey
Green
Tan
Purple
Copper
Orange
Blue

Yellow was the only color that I didn't find.

Braukuche wrote:
I canít imagine a better owner for this bus.

Thanks. I knew you got the sunroof ghia from Bob, and I was wondering if you knew what else he had at that time. Dude sure had some monster cars.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Safaris
Cab divider
Ambulance fan
Full width dash

Ya'll can keep your 23-window Deluxes, this one is my new "boner Bus"! Way to knock it way, WAY out of the ballpark Lind! What a great and historic refurbish job (and quick too!). It could only be improved if somehow you locate or reproduce that cool roof sign for it! Simply spectacular!

So are you now on a quest to locate and display all the era-correct Matra, Peiseler tools for it in those yummy tool drawers?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Safaris
Cab divider
Ambulance fan
Full width dash

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2398534.jpg

Ya'll can keep your 23-window Deluxes, this one is my new "boner Bus"! Way to knock it way, WAY out of the ballpark Lind! What a great and historic refurbish job (and quick too!). It could only be improved if somehow you locate or reproduce that cool roof sign for it! Simply spectacular!

So are you now on a quest to locate and display all the era-correct Matra, Peiseler tools for it in those yummy tool drawers?

Bill Bowman

Thanks. Deluxes are nice, but they are the boring cheap model compared to this bus. You could buy two 23 windows for what this cost new, over $5000 in 1955. This was the absolute most expensive vw from the factory in the '50s. So much going on with this bus.

I have about 60% of the tools. I will be getting them displayed in the next phase.

The roof signs are on the '56 models. The barndoors have roof logos, and this one is logo'd up top too.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Did you find evidence of the original logos during the stripping process to get an outline with or did you have to start from scratch?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

House wrote:
Did you find evidence of the original logos during the stripping process to get an outline with or did you have to start from scratch?

We knew what the logos should be from the brochure. I started stripping the back to confirm this, and found shadows of different logos on the back than what was expected. They sanded off all of the lettering all around, but there was plenty left to tell what went where. We did the drop shadow just a touch small on the passenger side top corner so you can see a touch of the original if you know to look really closely.

originally the way that I figured out that the bus was a schulwagen was from this photo. This has been hiding in plain sight on thesamba for years, but never discussed in the forums.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Wonder if it was painted so many times as part of the mobile service school? Maybe they had the students paint it as part of the bodywork lesson?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

The trained Service Department came out to OCTO. I saw one of them fixing a broken clutch cable onsite.

Lind- As I looked over the details of your Schulwagen, I felt like a Fembot from Austin Powers with my head about to explode from all the crazy details. Your bus was definitely one of the highlights.

Thank you for bringing it out to the show and making this OCTO one of the best ones yet.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Wonder if it was painted so many times as part of the mobile service school? Maybe they had the students paint it as part of the bodywork lesson?

Great theory, I like it. But I am confident that they sold it as a used car a couple/few years after 1955.

One of the first repaints showed logos from "flower shop and nursery". The rest of those logos are lost to time, as I didn't have the time to strip just to find intermediate logos.

Last edited by Lind on Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: