Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmaoufle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

Hi!!

I have a 71 westy with belly pans, I am in the process of installing my new engine and it comes with an external oil cooler and its fan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My issue is I don't see where to install it as I have no space for it on the chassis, so any ideas? any pics of install?

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

When I first picked up my 76, I refreshed the top end and mounted an external oil cooler like the one in your pic on the Driver's side of the engine bay under the spare tire indent. It seemed to work well from what I remember but not sure how much room you have in your 71.

Thinking back, I think I mounted the oil cooler horizontally on 2" or 3" blocks.

I couldn't really test it well as one of the main bearings was toast so I went down the Subaru swap path.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

I would not mount it in the engine bay. First it will compete for fresh air from your fan shroud. Second it will add heat to the engine bay.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
I would not mount it in the engine bay. First it will compete for fresh air from your fan shroud. Second it will add heat to the engine bay.

This is false.

I have mine in my engine bay and it keeps my 2275 perfectly cool. I even have my oil filter in the engine bay, also no issues..A hole was cut under the cooler for the air to escape the engine bay after it passes over the cooler. I have my fan set up on a switch that’s located on my gauge cluster so I can turn the fan on and off as I choose.

There is no issue with the cooler fan competing with the fresh air fan or the dual carbs. The air volume in the engine bay in plentiful.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

This is false.

I have mine in my engine bay and it keeps my 2275 perfectly cool. I even have my oil filter in the engine bay, also no issues..A hole was cut under the cooler for the air to escape the engine bay after it passes over the cooler. I have my fan set up on a switch that’s located on my gauge cluster so I can turn the fan on and off as I choose.

There is no issue with the cooler fan competing with the fresh air fan or the dual carbs. The air volume in the engine bay in plentiful.

My setup wasn't as nice as yours Rich but it seemed to work and was in the same location.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Is your fan a puller or pusher? From your post I think it must be a pusher?

I don't love having the oil cooler inside the engine bay but that setup looks clean and well sorted.

I put the oil cooler in the space just forward of the rear axle torsion housing, there is a small gap there that fits the small Setrab cooler quite well. The cooler posted by the OP is a lot bigger (I think?) and might not fit there. I've also designed a bracket for the oil filter that gets it tucked up above the transaxle.

(photo is a '71 Campmobile so it also has belly pans)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

Is your fan a puller or pusher? From your post I think it must be a pusher?

I don't love having the oil cooler inside the engine bay but that setup looks clean and well sorted.

The fan is a pusher. The cooler is two T4 oil coolers that are mounted to an aluminum block and run parallel not in series. I also run a T4 cooler in the doghouse and a velocity ring.

Thanks, it’s clean and works great!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

This is false.

Rich you have a slick setup. But you can't say my statement is false when using your setup for comparison. The fan WILL compete with the shroud and intake even if it's not an issue. And the O.P. made no mention of cutting a hole to evacuate the heat. So the heated air needs a place to go, that would be thru the shroud and over the heads. Just saying.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Belly pans and external oil cooler, where to? Reply with quote

I have an EMPI "24 row" (8 real world rows) cooler in an air scoop mounted to the back of the cross member behind the belly pan. There is no cooling fan as I have not needed it to keep temperatures down

The rear fixing holes are suspended from pieces of all thread that are fixed above to the floor

Fed from a Mocal thernostatic sandwich plate, the cooler loop is about 10 feet , no pressure issues.

It looks dirty because it has been in use for at least 11 years.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: