Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Hello,
We bought the fuel injection to carb conversion kit from JBugs and are wondering if we have to take the engine out of the car to install? Any helpful tips? Thanks in advance!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I looked up the kit and it doesn’t seem like you technically HAVE to pull the engine out for it. But it would definitely make things much easier. Probably the hardest part is divided up between getting the intake manifold castings off and back on, and getting the other parts out of the way to remove the alternator stand.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

It's obligatory for me to say you are nuts to get rid of the FI, swapping to a carb is like putting a pebble in your shoe on purpose. But it's your car so do as you please.

I'd drop the engine, you have to split the plenum to get the alternator stand off, there's some nuts on the front side that are almost impossible to reach with the shroud in place. And you'll likely want the shroud off when it's time to drill for the throttle cable, hitting the oil cooler will ruin your day. Swapping all the exhaust is also so much easier when the engine is out, that kit does include carb style heater boxes, lower and rear tins and a muffler right?. because it'll run even shittier without manifold preheat.

Don't damage any of the FI parts removing them, there's many people here who know just how superior that system is and will gladly take it off your hands.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

X2 with Busdaddy... Absolutely nuts to get rid of the F.I. If you actually do, please don't throw the stuff away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you to all that have replied. As far as why we are removing the fuel injection, we have had nothing but problems with the car. We can't drive it more than a mile and it starts bucking and has no power at all. WE would love to just fix it but have no reference to do so. A friend told us to swap out the fuel injection and it would be better. Does anyone have a suggestion of a repair manual or a reference for help?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

dieselboy33 wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion of a repair manual or a reference for help?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/fuelinjection.php , you are interested in the AFC ones.

Sounds like you have a weak fuel pump, or crap in the gas tank blocking flow, a fuel pressure test is always a good place to start. (assuming you've already done a tune up and valve adjustment).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

In addition to that, where can we get parts for the car? We had to get a plug recently and it was like pulling teeth. I saw people saying they replaced their mass air flow sensor, but I was not successful in finding one to try. We have always been VW fans, but have never had a Beetle, sorry for the ignorance. We just want to be able to drive the car and have fun. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

There's a good selection of parts in the Samba classifieds, some are shared with other models and makes and can be sourced in various places both new and used. Depends exactly what you are after.

Usually there's not much need for replacement parts, these systems are very robust and usually just suffering from 45 years of neglect. Avoid shooting the parts cannon at it, diagnose and test each component thoroughly first, 99% of the time it's something small and simple.

Слава Україні!
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks, we have done a tune up. We will do the fuel pressure test, we are thinking it might be the fuel pump too. It seemed like it over heated last time we took it out and had to get towed.
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have confirmed that the vacuum, retard canister has failed. How critical is this for the fuel injection? I have measured total timing at 32 degrees.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

it is not critical at all.

you have to disregard the book idle spec though and time it as an svda....which is 28-32deg maximum mechanical advance. hook your advance hose back up afterwards and make sure you are getting proper vacuum advance. leave the retard port on the dist open, but plug the hose off @ the manifold as it is introducing unmetered air into the mix--which is bad.

no one here is going to encourage you to replace your FI with that shitty carb conversion kit

Smile
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you, I will be working on it next weekend, I'll keep you posted with additional questions I am sure! Cool
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

For $7-8.00, I would try a new condenser 1st. I went thru 3 of them before I got a good one.
New parts are hit or miss for quality.
Good luck!

Click to view image
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

last year I picked up a 75 FI beetle that had been sitting for over ten years. I didn't want to attempt to even start it without first pulling, cleaning and sealing the tank due to some rust, replacing EVERY fuel and vacuum line front to back. Checking the flow of the fuel pump, replacing the plugs, wires, cap / rotor and points. I went on to examine the injectors and ended up replacing all four. Checked and set valve clearance. Then an oil and filter change before I was even ready to attempt to start it. A quick check of the double relay signaling the FP by pushing on the AFM flap and It started immediately and runs better than any stock beetle that I have owned. I would never consider pulling the FI and going carbs unless I was building a big engine.

So my advice, along with every other FI owner, is keep it stock!

Really, the issues arise from the same things that will make your carb conversion not run either....

I would guess the majority of FI bugs that don't run right have either:
Vacuum leaks
Bad Head Temp Sensor
Incorrect fuel pressure

The system is quite easy to figure out, is really robust, and the FI sticky here is your golden ticket to get your bug running on the FI. If you start with a solid platform, your diagnosing will be so much easier. Don't give up on it yet!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
last year I picked up a 75 FI beetle that had been sitting for over ten years. I didn't want to attempt to even start it without first pulling, cleaning and sealing the tank due to some rust, replacing EVERY fuel and vacuum line front to back. Checking the flow of the fuel pump, replacing the plugs, wires, cap / rotor and points. I went on to examine the injectors and ended up replacing all four. Checked and set valve clearance. Then an oil and filter change before I was even ready to attempt to start it. A quick check of the double relay signaling the FP by pushing on the AFM flap and It started immediately and runs better than any stock beetle that I have owned. I would never consider pulling the FI and going carbs unless I was building a big engine.

Really, the issues arise from the same things that will make your carb conversion not run either....

Vacuum leaks
Bad Head Temp Sensor
Incorrect fuel pressure

The system is quite easy to figure out, is really robust, and the FI sticky here is your golden ticket to get your bug running on the FI. If you start with a solid platform, your diagnosing will be so much easier. Don't give up on it yet!
Another thing I see missed regularly are the injector seals at the heads. two people I've helped recently had poor running / hunting idle and both turned out to be the seals. Wish I could find the link, somewhere someone found a superior seal for the base of these Bosch injectors... but I didn't seem to bookmark it. They were made of a more durable material
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Vacuum leaks
Bad Head Temp Sensor
Incorrect fuel pressure

Another thing I see missed regularly are the injector seals at the heads. Two people I've helped recently had poor running / hunting idle and both turned out to be the seals. Wish I could find the link, somewhere someone found a superior seal for the base of these Bosch injectors... but I didn't seem to bookmark it. They were made of a more durable material
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

the Injector seals are really cheap and pretty easy to replace. I think I got my seals from Napa - all 4 for under $10. If I only get 5 years from them, I will still be pleased.
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

So, we have been going thru the car and had the injectors cleaned and checked. The cold start works perfect so it might have been a bad connection and I am replacing the temperature sensor. I found that the egr valve filter is missing and I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced this with a tube? Right now there is nothing there it is just missing, I suppose it just rusted off. Also, wanted to ask if anyone knows the best aftermarket center caps to fit the Formula Vee Turtleback wheels? We picked up a set of wheels and I know I cant find original ones. I just want to make sure that they fit properly. Thanks again for everyone's help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

You can replace the gasket where the EGR connects to the intake manifold with a solid one, that disables the system and rules out potential vacuum leaks. Cap the connection at the exhaust as well.

EGR filters are available new if you are going for a 100% stock look.

Слава Україні!
dieselboy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection to Carb Conversion 1978 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you. Did you make the closed casket or is there somewhere to buy one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: