Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

The recently recommissioned '69 Type 1 has been doing great although it developed a situation where using the wipers blows the fuse. In that the fuse is also the horn fuse and that does not cause a fuse failure when used, I should conclude that the one of the wiper components must be the issue.

I'll start poking around but wondered if any of you knows of a specific area that may have been documented as a trouble spot or short on say, the motor or some other area...?

As a side note, we don't use the car intentionally in rain however, it would be nice to be able to use the wipers if we do encounter rain.

As always, thanks,
Rob
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

radbug69 wrote:
I should conclude that the one of the wiper components must be the issue.

I'll start poking around but wondered if any of you knows of a specific area that may have been documented as a trouble spot or short on say, the motor or some other area...?

Yes, it sounds like you have isolated the problem to the wipers.

According to the troubleshooting guide, it might be a short in the armature. Unfortunately this would require replacement of the armature or motor.

However, first it would be best to check the wiring going from the fuse block to the wiper motor to see if there's any frayed insulation or a loose connection where it is grounding against the body.

Check the Bentley manual section 10, pp 41-42

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for troubleshooting... remove the wiper switch from the dash and test if the wipers work normally with the switch not installed in the dash. The switch does ground thru its mount to the dash and this means the wiper arms may not park properly while you are holding the switch in your hand (wear gloves), but if the fuse does not blow it indicates the switch is internally grounding one of the circuits to the case of the switch and blowing the fuse.
This is a common problem when the switch backing plate starts to come apart and the internals of the switch can move around. Tightening the backing back down (cable tie) or replacing the switch usually works.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

Ok, so I have spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what is going on with the wipers..

Just to do it, I flipped the wipers up and away from the windshield to test the operation of the wipers and low and behold that did not blow a fuse. Odd.

Flipping the wipers back down to the screen and the fuse blows. That led me to think that the drag on the wiper against the screen was the issue.

A second attempt to test had the wiper continue to low a fuse regardless of whether they were against the screen or not.

Next,
I pulled the obstructions away from the back side of the dash to hopefully get at the switch... Man that is a task.

I have yet to be able to remove the switch to discern whether it works without blowing a fuse or not.

I did encounter this small connector wire (smaller than a conventional 1/4" terminal) that seems to be connected to the green wire of the switch...!

To make things more confusing, the wiring diagrams that I have looked at (from the tech section here) do not indicate that there is a black wire with a small connector or where one might go...

This is an August '68 built 1969 Model #119 121 994

I have checked all of the diagrams that might be germane to this car...

Uggg.

Thanks,
Rob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

This is a common problem when the switch backing plate starts to come apart and the internals of the switch can move around. Tightening the backing back down (cable tie) or replacing the switch usually works.

ashmn40,
The switch is new BTW. Replaced about six months ago by a shop that helped me with the recommissioning.

Thanks,
Rob
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

radbug69 wrote:

I did encounter this small connector wire (smaller than a conventional 1/4" terminal) that seems to be connected to the green wire of the switch...!

To make things more confusing, the wiring diagrams that I have looked at (from the tech section here) do not indicate that there is a black wire with a small connector or where one might go...

I have checked all of the diagrams that might be germane to this car...

Uggg.

Thanks,
Rob

Use the 70-71 diagram below, as-- like my 69-- yours appears to be a hodgepodge of wiring from 69 AND 70. The black wire with the small connector is a jumper from where the green wire connects to the wiper switch, over to terminal 15 on the dash mounted brake warning light.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Use the 70-71 diagram below, as-- like my 69-- yours appears to be a hodgepodge of wiring from 69 AND 70.

The black wire with the small connector is a jumper from where the green wire connects to the wiper switch, over to terminal 15 on the dash mounted brake warning light.

Ahh, not certain how I did not find that diagram. Embarassed

Ok, back to work.

Thanks much, sb001.

Rob
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
radbug69 wrote:

Use the 70-71 diagram below, as-- like my 69-- yours appears to be a hodgepodge of wiring from 69 AND 70.

As part of the work on getting your car recommissioned did they replace the wiring harness? I would expect the OE '69 wiring to have a black wire powering the wipers. Your "green wire" suggests it is not the original wiring? This leads me to suspect the wiring around the wiper switch and wiper motor. Did this wiper system ever work properly since it was recommissioned?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
radbug69 wrote:

As part of the work on getting your car recommissioned did they replace the wiring harness? I would expect the OE '69 wiring to have a black wire powering the wipers. Your "green wire" suggests it is not the original wiring? This leads me to suspect the wiring around the wiper switch and wiper motor. Did this wiper system ever work properly since it was recommissioned?

That's a good question- I'm not sure what reason they would have had to replace that section of wiring, but then again when we got the car back they had spliced the ignition switch wiring into the harness going through into the trunk using some of those blue wire splices.
That was back circa 1990, over 30 years ago, and I didn't know jack about these cars back then, so I didn't really pay attention to what was replaced.
Once I learned about the wiring diagrams on here, I just figured the guys at the factory already had the new 70 harnesses and were just using those since my car was a late 69, built in May of that year.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry sb001, that question was directed to the OP. I agree with your assessment that maybe someone has been swapping/replacing wires.

I could be convinced that VW swapped wire colors late in the ‘69 model year, but the OP’s car is a very early ‘69. I’d expect it to be nearly the same as a ‘68.

My suspicions are the wiring harness was replaced at some point and the wiper motor/switch was miswired? Its only a suspicion.
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

I could be convinced that VW swapped wire colors late in the ‘69 model year, but the OP’s car is a very early ‘69. I’d expect it to be nearly the same as a ‘68.

My suspicions are the wiring harness was replaced at some point and the wiper motor/switch was miswired? Its only a suspicion.

Odd isn't it...?

I am leaning toward the former, that VW swapped the colors t some point. The car is an Aug 1968 build, sold new in Oct 1969, I bought the Type 1 from the original owner thirty (30) years ago. He kept impeccable records and I see no sign of a complete or even partial harness replacement in those records.

The rest of all the wiring that I touched, checking grounds and plugging in headlights, taillights, reverse lights etc. all "Seem" to be original but that is just my assessment.
As a side note, E.v.e.r.y thing works on the car right down to the dome light.

Back to the correct diagram that sb001 pointed me too... I see a green wire on the switch however it appears to go to the second position on the fuse block, Not the first position. Plus, the black wire with the small connector to the brake test button (?)

I have been unable to get to that button so far, more surgery is required. Wow...!

I think also that the statement that the '69 was a bit of a hodge-podge in wiring is correct. Confusing to me.

I will admit to not knowing whether the wipers were shorting since a year ago or not, seems as though, all of a sudden, they were blowing a use but again, not entirely certain.

More later.

Thanks all,
Rob
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

There is some troubleshooting you may be able to do without pulling the wiper switch out from the dash...

The following diagram from Speedy Jim's site shows how the wiper switch+motor are wired.

Take a pic of your wiper motor and how it is wired so you can restore the wiring when done. Post that pic here.

Disconnect all the wires at the wiper motor and disconnect the wiper power wire from the fuse box. This will isolate the wiper switch. The switch is still mounted to the dash but you should have disconnected the far end of all the wires coming off the wiper switch. The switch is not connected to anything except being mounted/connected to ground.

Place an ohm meter or continuity tester between the loose end of the green power wire and a good ground point. With the switch OFF there should be infinite resistance between the green wire and ground (make sure the small black wire connector is not touching anything). Make sure none of the wires that were connected to the wiper motor are touching anything (place them on a rag).

Move the wiper switch to each of its ON positions and confirm the green wire is still not shorted to ground. Since all the wiper switch wires are disconnected and loose. if the green wire shows low or zero resistance to ground in any ON position it means the switch is grounding the circuit to the dash.

Test each of the paths thru the switch to make sure it works as the above diagram suggests. This is a positive test to make sure the switch closes the paths as designed.
Also do a negative test... make sure each terminal is NOT connected to the other terminals and not connected to the case of the switch when in each position.

Move to the wiper motor. Test each of its terminals for resistance to ground.
Terminals 53 and 53b will have a path to ground thru the motor. There should be some resistance thru these paths and they should be different between the two as they are different circuits. It should not be zero (I think?). If you find zero resistance down one of these paths it could be an internal short inside the motor.
In the parked position, there should be zero resistance between 53 and 31b.
When not parked there should be zero resistance between 53 and 53a.
Make sure 53a and 31b are not shorted to the body of the motor.

Try these tests and report what you find.

Last edited by ashman40 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper/Horn fuse blows. Common trouble spot...? '69 Beetle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Sorry sb001, that question was directed to the OP. I agree with your assessment that maybe someone has been swapping/replacing wires.

Ahhhh gotcha-
When you said "recommissioned" I thought you were referring to the work that was done on mine after its engine fire in summer of 1990. Very Happy

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: