Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Ok...I'm hooked already! I did a quick search for "custom dash" and your thread popped up. I was hoping to find some inspiration but you're not quite there yet. LOL!

I'm hopefully moving to SC PA in the near future. I am doing a 72 Super restomod (My thread is in the same group. "Just bought a 72 Super) I'm by no means a builder of cars or a mechanic. I'm a "glorified wrench turner" at best. But my first car was my dream car so I went back to it almost 30 years later to do it right! Now, I look for ideas on other people's threads.

Hope to see some really good stuff from you soon! Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Thanks! You are wayyyy ahead of me but I will get there. It's funny you found me searching for custom dash because I just seperated glove box doors last night to use an older door face on a newer back to close up the gap around the glovebox door since I am deleting the dash pad. I also sourced a euro ashtray and grab handle from ebay, collected type 3 knobs (they are shorter), and bought the short vents from Heritage in the UK. This was all before I knew my bug had so much Swiss cheese...
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
Thanks! You are wayyyy ahead of me but I will get there. It's funny you found me searching for custom dash because I just seperated glove box doors last night to use an older door face on a newer back to close up the gap around the glovebox door since I am deleting the dash pad. I also sourced a euro ashtray and grab handle from ebay, collected type 3 knobs (they are shorter), and bought the short vents from Heritage in the UK. This was all before I knew my bug had so much Swiss cheese...

I had my daughter remove the entire dash. She gotta learn! When I took the dashpad off I decided to go without the pad. I'm most likely going flush dash with as few components as possible and delete the glovebox. Bigger stereo in it's place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I’m not dead yet" I decided that the rust damage to the body was too much for me and starting looking for a body shell in better shape. It took all of this time but I finally found a solid '68 that I think will work. I got the body and pan on a tow-dolly and made 170 of 175 miles back to home before the '68 swing axle transmission locked up just 5 miles from home. AAA will not tow an unregistered car for free as it turns out but I got it home. Working on cutting the good parts out of the '69 body now. Between the two bodies I think I can make one good car. I also got a nice pre-'67 dash in the deal with all of the parts needed to make the swap so I'm trying to decide if I want to graft that in. The '68 dash looks like it was attacked by a pack of claw hammers...
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Made progress today, got the body off of the pan and removed the passenger side floor pan. The pan had been replaced by a PO, the welds were so weak that I was able to break them by hand. They had attempted to plug weld the pan but the only weld that didn't pop off easily is the one pictured. Basically that one weld and the pan bolts were all that held the pan on the car... The good news is that the Nap hat looks great as well as the rest of the chassis except for the pans.

clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Replaced the door hinges on both doors a while back. Write-up is here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779106
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Finally got a day to clean up the pan and get ready to weld in new pans. I know a lot of people say you need a high power pressure washer to get things clean but I'm happy with the results I got from my cheap Harbor Freight electric. The was a half inch of crud on a lot of the chassis and I got most of it off by soaking with Purple Power degreaser and then blasting.

Every part in the front end except the steering box (TRW) has a VW logo stamped into it so I'm thinking I probably will need to replace tie rod ends and ball joints. The beam looks great, no rust at all, I guess the 1/2 inch of old grease kept it dry though the seals are pretty dried out. I already have a rebuilt Airkewld steering box and a set of lowered spindles. I will need to check the forums for recommendations on replacement balljoints.

Found a bit of damage in the back that I will need to sort out. It was hit in the rear and it looks like the trans was shoved forward into the mount...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Purple Power and Pitsburgh Power Chicago Electric is a winning combo for me too. My washer is bright green.

Its looking clean!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Purple Power and Pitsburgh Power Chicago Electric is a winning combo for me too. My washer is bright green.

Its looking clean!

Mine is the bright green one as well. In the background in this pic.

clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Rebuilt a speedo using a mix of '69 and '68 parts. I like the look of the '68 speedo but wanted the parking light indicator so I modified the '68 speedo face for the park light warning and used the housing from a '69. I did not use my original rebuilt speedo so if this one doesn't work out, I have my original sitting on the bench.

JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

I just bought a '69. I'm following your build. Thanks for the update, keep them coming.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Molly" 1969 Standard Beetle Build Reply with quote

Well, the chassis turned out to be twisted badly. I noticed that the right trailing arm had been changed so my guess is that the car took a direct hit in the wheel. Whoever "fixed" it had to force the spring plate on and it was binding, metal to metal, with the torsion housing. My attempt at straightening the bent torsion housing ended with me bending the tunnel.

So I bought a chassis from FB market

Seller said it was solid but once I got it home and really started poking around it turns out not to be so solid

It is straight though. Not sure if I want to fix this or look for another chassis at this point.
I did completely rebuild the rear trailing arms though. I plan on dropping it one spline in the rear so I bought some shorter 1.5" urethane bump stops to replace stock.

the adventure continues...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: