Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I previously thought that there were not going to be good options for 17" or 18" rims, but then I was trying to track down a dilemma with a discontinued tire I had been running for multiple years and liked them, so wondered what close sizes were offered in the Nankang SP-9 Cross-Sport 215/60R16 99V I found decent and affordable. On the Nankang website there was a chart that I glanced down, and noticed several other rim sizes that the SP-9's were offered in at 99(x) or higher, and saw that they have a 215/55R18 99V as well. So, well, huh! There is also a 17" at 99V as well.

https://nankangusa.com/passenger-tires/sp-9-cross-sport/

Sooooo... then I got the "bug" and started looking at other tires available on the market at 215/55R18 with adequate load rated. The unfortunate situation is that walmart's tire lookup is actually quite good. Turns out there are actually MANY tires that match.

So, now I am on the hunt for 18" rims, I guess. The tire size calculator shows that size rubber is 27.3", so on the large size for stocker motors/gearing, and of course hard to fit in the clam. But those are solvable issues, in their own ways.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Another good candidate (cross-posted from the self-destroying Nokian WRC3s topic from May 2023):

Looks like this is the replacement for the Nokian WRC3s:

https://www.nokiantyres.com/all-season-tires/nokian-tyres-seasonproof-c/

205/65 R 16 C 107/105T
215/60 R 16 C 103/101T
215/65 R 16 C 109/107T

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
BCE56 wrote:
Starting to think about new tires.
Current tires are approximately 10 years old, have about 30 K miles on them. Five wheel rotation per Jon Slider every 5000 miles. A bit more than 1/2 tread remaining. Some slight feathering is noticeable. Sidewall cracks are visible near the rims and at the base of the tread lugs.

I have been quite satisfied w/ these BFG AT/TAs. 215/75 R15 on Rhein rims..
What i can expect from the newer AT/TA KO2s?

I think the newer ones are quiter than the previous version. I like mine. Same size, same rims even.

=========================

Impressions after a couple weeks on the new KO2 tires:

Running the same pressure as previously- 35 front, 36 rear.
They seem softer over bumps and cracks than the old ones.
Ride is smooth and at least as quiet as the K0's. (Those were pretty quiet.)
They do not act squirrely over freeway grooves.
No balance or vibration issues to 70+ MPH.
There has been some internet chatter regarding out of round tires. So, I visually checked for lateral and radial runout while they were being spin balanced. Worst was only about 1/8", others were even better.
Tread voids do have a tendency to pick up gravel which is ejected when speed is increased.

All in all, I am quite satisfied.

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Looks like this is the replacement for the Nokian WRC3s: https://www.nokiantyres.com/all-season-tires/nokian-tyres-seasonproof-c/
205/65 R 16 C 107/105T
Very hard to navigate their site and could only find this tire, by copying your size and pasting. Couldn't find any specs on it at all, height, speed, etc.

Duncan
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

My Nokian Entyre 2.0's (215/60R16) are dated 2014 and have approximately 18K miles on them (~60% treadwear indicated). They have been a great performing tire for me and there are currently no visible signs of cracking or delamination on them, but I am leery of the '7-year' rule as I typically will err on the side of caution when it comes to such things as brakes and tires. Ideally, I would like to replace these with the same size, but am really struggling to find an identical size with the correct load rating. It appears that I will need to go with a 65 series tire to get a load rating above 98, so I am looking at the Nokian Solstice CUV All Weather (215/65R16 102H XL) as a bit of a stop-gap until Nokian releases the Seasonproof tire in the desired size. As such, I am wondering three things:

a) has anyone had any experience with the Nokian Solstice tire and any feedback to provide?
b) any other recommendations as to a comparable replacement (215/60/16), noting that my preference is towards highway vs an off-road tire and that I am not wedded to Nokian?
c) how concerned should I be with my current 2014 set given that my 2023 Westy trips will be limited to less than 3500 miles?

Any/all insights are welcomed - thx.
khoyer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

From what I understand it is the rebranded WRG3 SUV which many people on here have really liked. I had it in cosideration my self, but ultimately ended up with the nokian outpost apt. Which I have thus far thoroughly enjoyed in all conditions and it has great road handling as well. probably a little less geared toward the road than the solstice though
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
My Nokian Entyre 2.0's (215/60R16) are dated 2014 and have approximately 18K miles on them (~60% treadwear indicated). They have been a great performing tire for me and there are currently no visible signs of cracking or delamination on them, but I am leery of the '7-year' rule as I typically will err on the side of caution when it comes to such things as brakes and tires. Ideally, I would like to replace these with the same size, but am really struggling to find an identical size with the correct load rating. It appears that I will need to go with a 65 series tire to get a load rating above 98, so I am looking at the Nokian Solstice CUV All Weather (215/65R16 102H XL) as a bit of a stop-gap until Nokian releases the Seasonproof tire in the desired size. As such, I am wondering three things:

a) has anyone had any experience with the Nokian Solstice tire and any feedback to provide?
b) any other recommendations as to a comparable replacement (215/60/16), noting that my preference is towards highway vs an off-road tire and that I am not wedded to Nokian?
c) how concerned should I be with my current 2014 set given that my 2023 Westy trips will be limited to less than 3500 miles?

Any/all insights are welcomed - thx.

Apparently Nokians are a rare animal on both sides of the border as they have shuttered their Russian factory and ramping up production elsewhere. In the interim and after much sleuthing and agonizing as to the 'right' decision, I opted for the BFG Trail Terrain T/A's sized as 215/65/16 (98H) as the local Costco has them for $100 off a set of 4, so all in, out the door for $1075 (CDN$). The other (available) option I was contemplating was the Conti4X4 Contact, but reviews seemed all over the map. They should be installed in the next week ahead of a 1000+ km trip and I will report back as to first impressions. The Nokian Outpost ATP and WRG4 SUV were my primary targets, but there were simply none available locally within my install window. Stay tuned.

Last edited by coqcitywesty on Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Never thought I'd post on a tire thread.

My Syncro Westy has been using Ko2's for awhile and I feel they are a great tire and not real noisy. They have about 20k on them and they are tough.

I Use my my van a lot for over the highway trips and have decided to finally get my S/A stars fixed and painted and use them for a set of street tires.

I currently run 215/75/R15's and finding Michelin or high end road tire in that size is hard. I have ordered a set of Michelin P series and my local shop will let me run them for a month to see I like them. If not I can return them and by a different tire.

I will keep my ko2's for when my trips involve off roading. Since I have a full set of knobs I think i'll be more than capable should an obstacle come my way.

I am amazed at how few choices there are for even 15" wheels. Comments and criticisms always accepted. Looking forward to a much quieter road trip coming up this weekend.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khoyer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here are a few different perspectives of the Nokian Outpost APT 215/70/16 they have aramid side walls, have the appropriate load rating, and carry the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating. they have performed incredibly well in all conditions here in the PNW; Highway/Snow/Forrest Roads etc.. They don't look overly aggressive but also not really that subdued either, have a really nice tread depth and i think look pretty good on the vanagon. They carry some amazing reviews in multiple vehicle enthusiast communities. I also had a difficult time sourcing them locally and ultimately purchased from priority tire and had them installed at a local discount tire for $625 out the door. a few extra days and steps but overall a pretty good deal.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

^^^^your previous post had me looking hard at the Outpost ATP's as well, but unfortunately they were simply not available locally. Based on the specs and reviews, this would seem to be a 'perfect' option for Vanagons/Westys - the perfect balance between highway and forest service roads. I will likely be swapping my Gowesty 16's for CLK's in the next year or so and will likely opt for these if they are still available.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thunderer website for the Ranger R101:

https://thunderertireusa.com/thunderer-tires/small-commercial/ranger-r101/

Input from users of the 185 14 or 195 14 would be most welcome.

[Edit: I also see the Ranger 007 comes in a 205/70R14 XL 98H which should be ok ? :

https://thunderertireusa.com/thunderer-tires/truck-suv/ranger_007/ ]

Neil.

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Just for sake of currency, here are the load rated 14" tire options available today.

[b]....
Thunderer Ranger R101 185/195 $68-78 Thailand ....

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I credit my General Grabber ATs with saving my life on a jeep trail in the San Juan Mountains last summer, but I can't stand the ever-increasing highway noise and inability to stay balanced.

As a result, I'm thinking of just avoiding dangerous jeep trails and going with a more refined all-around tire.

I recently put Vredesteins (a much-loved Vanagon brand back in the day) on my GTI and they've been all-around wonderful in snow and for grip. Vredestein was bought by Apollo (India) a few years ago, so they're no longer Dutch, but still get great reviews.

They recently released this new mild AT Tire:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-pinza-at

The 215/75/15 is 100T but standard load.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Pinza+AT&isSEO=true

They kind of remind me of Geolandars but at a better price. Early reviews are very positive.

I might try them out. I'll provide an update if/when I pull the trigger.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

So I had an appointment at a local Costco (BC) to have a set of BFG Trail Terrain T/A's in 215/65R16 installed and after inspection of the Westy, they refused to install them as the tires exceed manufacturer specs (diameter) by more than 3% Crying or Very sad This meant that I had to take on a 1000 KM trip on 9 year old tires which was somewhat worrisome, but in the end, thankfully uneventful.

With some breathing room before my next trip, I then ordered a set of Nokian WRG4 SUV (215/65R16 102HXL) tires from Discount Tire in Bellingham and scheduled an appointment to coincide with my trip down the Oregon Coast. DT matched/beat an online Walmart price ($120 per tire + installation/warranty) and after 1800 KM's, I can attest that the grip and handling on paved roads is excellent and road noise is also exemplary - very similar to the Nokian Entrye's they replaced. Load capacity is obviously not an issue with the 102HXL rating.

That said and after install, I noticed that one of the tires is wear-dated 3220 vs three other 4722 dates. I called DT and they ordered in a new matching tire and will install it next week, so problem solved - thanks DT. The only other 'challenge' is that my slider door now has a tiny bit of rub on the rear tire, which I had not experienced with my previous set of 215/60R16 tires. Hmmmmm.....
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I decided to buy the Vredesteins from Tire Rack, 215/75/15.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-pinza-at

They are very similar to Yokohama Geolandars that I've had in the past, but a little less expensive.

I can report after a weekend that they are very quiet and well-mannered on the highway and hold up well in cross winds. They're not nearly as aggressive as the General Grabbers they replaced, but the Grabbers, even though they are excellent on trails, were impossible to keep balanced and loud, loud.

I know this thread is pretty crowded, so I'll double-post in my Reviving a Syncro thread.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Currently wearing Nokian 205r65 99H XL all season with a diameter of 26 ½". Other than the diameter which I really like in my stripped out rag top,2.1 WBX weighing #3800 with camping gear aboard, they suck. Harsh ride, noisy, aquaplane easily at 65ish in a hard rain and in winter I get stuck in my flat driveway in packed snow. They are terrible. The only tire I can seem to find is an Otani made in Thailand. https://www.newegg.com/p/0R8-00A8-001N9 The price scares me and I don't like the tread design. Looks like it will be terrible in winter and iron to aquaplane in summer downpours.

Note the tread in this photo.

There are essentially four circumferential bands without cross channels to allow the road surface water to escape. The 4 bands are in effect squeegeeing the water ahead and building up a greater layer causing the tire to run on top of the water rather than the road surface.

Want 195s for better traction in rain and snow as well as reduced rolling friction. The Otani tires don't look like what I want. 1195r65/16s are only 25 ½" in diameter an r75s are 27 ½. R 70s are 26 which I'll live with but VERY hard to find.

Any help would be appreciated.

No one seems to care about an automobile ride and lack of noise for T3s, so I never get a response. Maybe I'll start a thread topic.

Duncan
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Nokian WRC3 LT205 65R 16 107T all weather

I bought 4 of these and they are terrible. Harsh ride, aquaplane due to lack of adequate cross channels and I get stuck in winter on my flat driveway in 3" of snow.

Don't

Duncan

I put many miles on Nokian WRC3 and I'm thinking, based on your more recent posts, you have the Nokian eNtyre. Entyre are definitely road-oriented. WRC3 do very well in snow and rain and are very quiet to boot. They also did well on rocky/hardpack dirt roads.

vs

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

^^^Agreed.

Duncan, the eNTYREs are All-Season (three season, excluding winter cold or sow), not All Weather (four season with the TPMS certification for cold and snow). I bought a set of Nokian eNTYREs for a sedan and was surprised at how much I didn't like them (being a fan of Nokians in general). The hydroplaning was the most surprising. Fortunately, they cracked at the sidewalls and Nokian gave me a credit which I used for WRG4s for that sedan. The difference is night and day, esp. in rain and snow although the WRG4s are getting noisy as they wear.

I've never used eNTYREs on a Vanagon but I don't recommend the tire if they'll encounter rain.

Here's how the eNTYREs began to crack (less than 20K miles possibly closer to 10K but I don't recall):

FWIW, Nokian has recognized their quality problems and is moving production out of Russia to the US and other places:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

As above, I swapped our my Nokian Entyre 2.0’s for the WRG4SUV’s and now have put about 3000 miles on the WRG4’s and am pleased with the performance to-date - quiet ride and good handling, noting that they have not seen rain as yet. I was also pleased with the Entyres, however 95% of my driving was done under dry conditions, so hydroplaning was not something that I experienced. I did have some minor sidewall cracking, but this was after 9 years of ownership and about 20K miles.

Jim - I am curious as to what the date code was on your Nokian’s when they started cracking?
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian WRC3 directional tyres have been great for me in the rain and off road. 205 70 R15 on 2wd. Did upgrade the suspension lately and oh my what a smooth quiet ride. Hope I can find these tyres again when it’s time to replace. Nokian is transitioning.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I had hoped to get these almost 3 years ago but they've been out of stock everywhere until now, apparently. Looks like a very good fit for those of us running 15 inch wheels.
Disclaimer: I've never seen or run them. I had to get WRC3s, which I do like a lot.

https://www.discounttirezone.com/radar-renegade-at5-20570r15-100h-xl-p-50756.html
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 57

Jump to: