Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 but maybe 67 rear wheel cylinders
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: 69 but maybe 67 rear wheel cylinders Reply with quote

My chassis is a 69, vins all match. However this 69 has a swing axle. I need to replace the rear wheel cylinders. For the front the wheel cylinders are the same on a 67 and 69. But the rears have to be specific to the year.

The reason I mention 67 is because I had to order 67 rear brake hoses because they are female/female.

Is there a way I can tell which rear cylinders are in there now? Or some somewhere on the drum housing or anywhere so I can avoid ordering the cylinders for the wrong year?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 but maybe 67 rear wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Gtp70 wrote:
Is there a way I can tell which rear cylinders are in there now?

Pull back the rubber boot and measure the bore of the rear cylinders.

I believe 1967 Beetle would be 19mm, and 1969 Beetle would be 17mm. But if you measure, then you can confirm before ordering.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 but maybe 67 rear wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info. Took off the cap and measured the internal diameter of the bore at 3/4, looks like these wheel cylinders are from a 67 - 19.05mm

Thank
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 but maybe 67 rear wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Outside of the US many Beetles still had SA rears up thru 2002 when the last Beetles rolled off the factory line in Mexico.

'66-earlier SAs were shot axles with short splines. The end castings at the outer ends of the axles were shorter (left axle below).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Beetles had a 1-year only axle with long axles but short splines. The end castings had an "A" embossed (not shown).

'68-later axles were long axle and long splines. The end castings had an "B" embossed (right axle below).

Check your end casting and see if they are embossed "A" ('67) or "B" ('68-later). This will give you a better idea if you need '67 or '68-later wheel cylinders to match your axles.

I did a quick search of Heritage Parts in the UK and found the rear wheel cylinder part#s:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: