Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

designing a fresh air intake subie 2.5
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: designing a fresh air intake subie 2.5 Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
space wrote:

OK.
The MAF has to be in the same size tube/hose/ducting as the OEM Subaru ducting.
If it is, have you checked smoke tested the intake for leaks?
If no leaks, and fuel pressure is good(can't remember the last time I changed a Subaru FPR), I'd suggest a new DENSO MAF and AFR.
Post pictures of your setup.

Now that I think about it more, this could be an issue. Not using stock or similar inlet air sizes could alter air velocity through the MAF causing fuel trim when it isn't necessarily required... Lots going on with fuel trim inputs, but I agree, the more sophisticated the ecu and mapping, a slight change such as an intake change could cause issues down the road.... Although the Ecu should "learn" the changes and adapt the maps. Hmmm Think
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: designing a fresh air intake subie 2.5 Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Now that I think about it more, this could be an issue. Not using stock or similar inlet air sizes could alter air velocity through the MAF causing fuel trim when it isn't necessarily required... Lots going on with fuel trim inputs, but I agree, the more sophisticated the ecu and mapping, a slight change such as an intake change could cause issues down the road.... Although the Ecu should "learn" the changes and adapt the maps. Hmmm Think

I have used and designed several MAF housings for Subaru turbo engines, and the I.D. of the tube where the MAF measures the airflow must OEM diameter to the MAF that is used.
Also, the location of the MAF is critical; no bends before/after the MAF location, about the same distance from the engine as stock.

Turbo and N/A engines use different p/n MAFs, and between the the various years/models, the turbo MAF housing inner diameters are different, even though the same MAF is used. Subaru simply has different MAF tables.

Yes, the ECM can "learn" to a certain extent, a small vacuum leak (FPR reference hose removed) is large enough of a leak to set a P0171 code.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: