Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Super Restoration for Daughters
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

A family discussion on what car our twin girls wanted to have once they get their license in 2 years provided a surprising result. They didn't want a Tesla, Honda or something new- but a classic Beetle.
Quick search on the interwebs found us a 1974 Beetle that has been parked since 1976 (confirmed with vehicle registration info). The previous owner got into money trouble a couple years after buying the car new and there she sat for 47 years- unloved. Shes been banged up from getting hit by snow clearers over the years, had her carb and coil stolen at some point (so stuck engine) and had her passenger window smashed.

So time for a family project. Also great way to keep with a tradition- my father and I rebuilt a 1982 Camaro Z28 for me when I was their age- also I learned to drive in an old Rabbit and have owned a Golf and Jetta over the years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by swal on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

That is great, I want my son to learn to drive manual in my 71 super.

Its hard to tell, but is that car marina blue? That is the color that my car used to be, and will be one day again. Enjoy the ride!
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Yep Marina Blue it is.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Looks like a great project, but lots of work.
Hopefully you can be ready in 2 years.

Mechanical first, cosmetics second would be my approach.

Have fun and good luck.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

I, too, have a Marina Blue Super Beetle. Mine is a '74. Which, btw is what year your car looks like to me, based on the shock absorber bumper brackets and big bumpers. VW did update the front suspension halfway through the 1973 model year. Maybe they switched to the larger, later bumpers as well. I've never noticed before. I suspect it's a late '73 car. Look at the VIN plate on the dash, next to the windshield on the driver's side. Look from the hood side. The 3rd number will be a "3" if the car is a '73 and, obviously, a "4" if it's a '74

Hope you have fun with your girls' project.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Also, if I may make a suggestion. Immediately contact Topline Parts and order the front suspension urethane bushings replacement kit. It's cheap and easy to install. The rubber bits are certain to be excessively worn out. Save yourself the later headache and replace ALL of those bushings from the jump. Perhaps you can avoid the "Super Shimmy".

H2OSB
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips- keep them coming. And sure enough it is a 74 not a 73 looking at the Vin number!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

I admire your ambition!! Cool How about some pics of the interior and underside...?

Popcorn

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

No pics of the bottom right now- but the battery leaked so that floor pan needs replacing for sure. Otherwise its mostly surface rust. A couple pics of the inside- including the girls starting to take apart the inside as I work on the engine and mom works on redoing the seats

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Nice! The headliner looks great - That's $$$ right there if you don't need to replace it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Went to put the back on stands to prepare to pull the engine and took a pic of the bottom. As you can see passenger pan will need some work- otherwise not terrible.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Great project !
But you have your work cut out for you...

Also, you should have gotten them a stick shift, so they can learn to drive properly ! Very Happy Very Happy
swal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

I really wanted a stick shift- both my wife and I learned to drive on sticks- but beggars cant be choosers.
I am under no illusion that this wont be a ton of work- which is a huge part of the appeal- after sitting at a desk all day long getting out in the garage and working on a car is a joy for me.
Its also nice to be working on a vehicle I am not in a rush to get on the the road- I just finished rebuilding the 6L80 transmission in my GMC truck- so after that a bug is a dream to work on.
We also have some great help, my father is a semiretired mechanic and my father in law is a retired metal fabricator/welder.
I also feel we owe this to the car. The poor girl was driven for two years, parked in impound and forgotten about for 45+ years- she deserves to be driven and loved again.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

MTT3107 wrote:
Also, you should have gotten them a stick shift, so they can learn to drive properly ! Very Happy Very Happy

I taught my daughters to drive my manual transmission 1971 Super convertible in the high school parking lot, then when the oldest turned 16 in 2004 I bought a 1998 Nissan Frontier 5-speed with 100K on it so they could drive to school, jobs, sports. It was the first year of the dual air bags, and 4-cylinder engine with timing chain.

When my youngest was halfway through college, she needed 4WD and returned the Frontier to me in 2011. I still drive it, 275K miles.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

MTT3107 wrote:
Great project !
But you have your work cut out for you...

The OP is giving his girls the same experience I had- since our 69 was an autostick I never learned to drive a proper stick shift until after college when I bought a 2001 Honda Accord 5 speed.
Knowing how to drive a stick is nice, but damn if I didn't get sick of it in stop and go traffic, especially in that Accord with its brutally heavy clutch pedal.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Knowing how to drive a stick is nice.

A manual transmission in a vehicle is considered a theft deterrent these days.

sb001 wrote:
damn if I didn't get sick of it in stop and go traffic, especially in that Accord with its brutally heavy clutch pedal.

When we bought that previously-described 1998 Frontier, its clutch pedal was VERY tough to push in, we just figured all Frontiers were like that. However, when its clutch started slipping, had a mechanic install a new clutch (its R&R is not as simple as on a VW); he installed an Exedy clutch kit and then the clutch pedal felt normal. I later also bought a 2004 Frontier with same engine and 5-speed, and its clutch pedal was normal. So my 1998 Frontier and your Accord could've been "outliers".

I do agree with your comment about stop-and-go traffic; I've been stuck in that on I-17 Interstate in Arizona in the mountains, and as we all know: manual transmissions in stop-and-go on uphills are not fun !!! That Interstate is still same 2-lanes each way as in the late 1960s despite major population growth in Arizona, plus it's a connector between I-10 and I-40. A 3rd/passing lane on the uphill southbound side near Camp Verde was done a few years ago, whoopee !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Knowing how to drive a stick is nice....damn if I didn't get sick of it in stop and go traffic, especially in that Accord with its brutally heavy clutch pedal.

I do agree with your comment about stop-and-go traffic; I've been stuck in that on I-17 Interstate in Arizona in the mountains, and as we all know: manual transmissions in stop-and-go on uphills are not fun !!!

Maybe it's because we don't have those western mountains around my parts, but I *almost* don't even notice the clutch in any kind of stop'n'go traffic. I honestly don't even think about it in a way that distracts from anything else I may be thinking or doing. 'Course, I've *never* been w/out a manual transmission car since I was 12 and learned to drive in the mid-70s. About the only thing that bothers me more these days is the heat when summer kicks in...still eye-balling a Gilmore or other AC system...

'Nuff said!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Maybe it's because we don't have those western mountains around my parts, but I *almost* don't even notice the clutch in any kind of stop'n'go traffic. I honestly don't even think about it in a way that distracts from anything else I may be thinking or doing. 'Course, I've *never* been w/out a manual transmission car since I was 12 and learned to drive in the mid-70s. About the only thing that bothers me more these days is the heat when summer kicks in...still eye-balling a Gilmore or other AC system...

'Nuff said!

Maybe I should have said I got sick of it in traffic jams, regular around town driving didn't really bother me (except for the heavy pedal.)
A friend of mine drove it once and asked me how my left leg wasn't 3 times larger than my right Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
A friend of mine drove it once and asked me how my left leg wasn't 3 times larger than my right Razz

The response is: I use my right leg for bleeding brakes !!! So it balances out....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Restoration for Daughters Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Maybe I should have said I got sick of it in traffic jams, regular around town driving didn't really bother me (except for the heavy pedal.)

Yet he didn't wonder why your right arm/wrist was so much larger? Twisted Evil Laughing Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: