Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MOFOCO - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: May 09, 2023
1959SDBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to join the chorus of unsatisfied customers here. I purchased a rebuilt stock 36 hp longblock from MOFOCO on November 11, 2020 for $2500 after communicating with Roy. I paid in full in advance as a show of good faith.

I reached out to him on April 15th (5 months later), and he understandably was behind with COVID-related issues. However, he told me: "So, we are still finishing three more ahead of yours and you are on deck at thy point. So, if you can tell me when you will be planning to put the body on, I will get it it to you before then." I told him August would be the latest I would need the engine as my father and I were hoping to get it in the Beetle project before winter hits where we live.

As the months drug on, I tried emailing him with no response, so I called the shop over my lunch break. I never could get a hold of him, but if I reached someone else, I was told that either Roy would call me back (never did), or that my engine was either next or second from next, etc.

On November 30, 2021 (now over a full year since I ordered the engine, I reached out again). He explained the COVID-related issues his operation had experienced as well as his shop being ruined by a lightning strike over the summer. I was told now that: "Yours is the next 36hp. I am currently working on 14 motors right now as I have to jump around depending on what parts I have and/or what parts are good or bad."

The next spring, on March 6, 2022, I reached out again. Roy told me: "The good news is that you are one of my 3 oldest engine orders at this point so your engine will be going on the bench next week."

On June 18, after I reached out again, I was told: "We finally got the parts in to finish rebuilding the heads so I will be finishing your engine on Tuesday and running it Wednesday."

2 months later, on August 12, Roy emailed me: "Just waiting on a muffler. Everything I had was rusted through. For your patience and kindness I am giving you a$500 credit for anything else you need."

Finally, on August 26th, I received the shipment notice from Central Transport. 20 months after I purchased. 16 months after being told there were three engines ahead of me before I was on deck. 10 months after being told I was the next 36 hp being built. 5 months after being told I was up next week.

I made sure to keep a very detailed record of all communications with the shop over the years, as I had read some replies where the owner said he had shared his own with this site's administrator. There were other exchanges between the ones I wrote in. I specifically chose those communications that related to timelines and promises I was given. I did my best to stay very professional throughout the ordeal, believing that top-quality work would be worth it.

When the engine finally arrived, I took the first weekend and got it on the stand to begin doing some basic checks. First up, end play. I doubted myself when I measured 0.009" to 0.010", so I checked and rechecked. Spec for this engine per the Bentley is 0.003 to 0.005 with a 0.006 wear limit. I pointed this out to Roy, and he told me to check the flywheel torque and it if was properly torqued he could send me some different shims. I checked it to the 217 ftlb spec, and nothing changed. He advised me to try 250 ft lbs because he said it could take up a few more thou. I was dubious and didn't bother. When I took the flywheel off, it took a torque multiplier and me hanging off a breaker bar. I waited a month with no reply about him sending shims, and wrote my deeply disappointed email to him. He sent a lot of excuses and a few sentences apologizing with profanity.

As for the $500 credit? He reneged on it because he said he realized he hadn't charged me for shipping which conveniently costs.

What did I get for 20 months of waiting and 2500 dollars? An engine that arrived with one of the most fundamental flaws you can have. I am "hopeful" that there are no other major flaws, but this is certainly NOT what I thought I would be getting. If I had read this review when considering purchasing my engine from MOFOCO, it would have been helpful. Many folks speak very highly of the business, and that may well be deserved. Most of us are reasonable and understand that the past two years have been a nightmare for parts of the supply chain and for workforces and families. Perhaps I just got very unlucky. You decide if it's worth the risk and time. For me, I'd wait several years before doing business with these guys.
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

1959SDBeetle wrote:
I'm afraid I have to join the chorus of unsatisfied customers here. I purchased a rebuilt stock 36 hp longblock from MOFOCO on November 11, 2020 for $2500 after communicating with Roy. I paid in full in advance as a show of good faith.

I reached out to him on April 15th (5 months later), and he understandably was behind with COVID-related issues. However, he told me: "So, we are still finishing three more ahead of yours and you are on deck at thy point. So, if you can tell me when you will be planning to put the body on, I will get it it to you before then." I told him August would be the latest I would need the engine as my father and I were hoping to get it in the Beetle project before winter hits where we live.

As the months drug on, I tried emailing him with no response, so I called the shop over my lunch break. I never could get a hold of him, but if I reached someone else, I was told that either Roy would call me back (never did), or that my engine was either next or second from next, etc.

On November 30, 2021 (now over a full year since I ordered the engine, I reached out again). He explained the COVID-related issues his operation had experienced as well as his shop being ruined by a lightning strike over the summer. I was told now that: "Yours is the next 36hp. I am currently working on 14 motors right now as I have to jump around depending on what parts I have and/or what parts are good or bad."

The next spring, on March 6, 2022, I reached out again. Roy told me: "The good news is that you are one of my 3 oldest engine orders at this point so your engine will be going on the bench next week."

On June 18, after I reached out again, I was told: "We finally got the parts in to finish rebuilding the heads so I will be finishing your engine on Tuesday and running it Wednesday."

2 months later, on August 12, Roy emailed me: "Just waiting on a muffler. Everything I had was rusted through. For your patience and kindness I am giving you a$500 credit for anything else you need."

Finally, on August 26th, I received the shipment notice from Central Transport. 20 months after I purchased. 16 months after being told there were three engines ahead of me before I was on deck. 10 months after being told I was the next 36 hp being built. 5 months after being told I was up next week.

I made sure to keep a very detailed record of all communications with the shop over the years, as I had read some replies where the owner said he had shared his own with this site's administrator. There were other exchanges between the ones I wrote in. I specifically chose those communications that related to timelines and promises I was given. I did my best to stay very professional throughout the ordeal, believing that top-quality work would be worth it.

When the engine finally arrived, I took the first weekend and got it on the stand to begin doing some basic checks. First up, end play. I doubted myself when I measured 0.009" to 0.010", so I checked and rechecked. Spec for this engine per the Bentley is 0.003 to 0.005 with a 0.006 wear limit. I pointed this out to Roy, and he told me to check the flywheel torque and it if was properly torqued he could send me some different shims. I checked it to the 217 ftlb spec, and nothing changed. He advised me to try 250 ft lbs because he said it could take up a few more thou. I was dubious and didn't bother. When I took the flywheel off, it took a torque multiplier and me hanging off a breaker bar. I waited a month with no reply about him sending shims, and wrote my deeply disappointed email to him. He sent a lot of excuses and a few sentences apologizing with profanity.

As for the $500 credit? He reneged on it because he said he realized he hadn't charged me for shipping which conveniently costs.

What did I get for 20 months of waiting and 2500 dollars? An engine that arrived with one of the most fundamental flaws you can have. I am "hopeful" that there are no other major flaws, but this is certainly NOT what I thought I would be getting. If I had read this review when considering purchasing my engine from MOFOCO, it would have been helpful. Many folks speak very highly of the business, and that may well be deserved. Most of us are reasonable and understand that the past two years have been a nightmare for parts of the supply chain and for workforces and families. Perhaps I just got very unlucky. You decide if it's worth the risk and time. For me, I'd wait several years before doing business with these guys.

All of this sounds so very familiar.
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I've finally come to the realization that I am never going to get an engine from him. I've emailed him asking for a refund, to which I am almost sure that I will not get a response. Is it worth contacting lawyers over such? At the very least, he needs to learn that he can't do this to people.

If any admin wants to contact me for every correspondence we've had, please reach out to me and I will provide it all.
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
69RVABUG wrote:
55rover wrote:
55rover wrote:
Kubelwagen project

Ordered a Kubelwagen from Kubelcraft (www.kubelcraft.com) over a year ago (Sept 2021). Plan to use as a light RV tow behind vehicle (1,800 lbs, ~800 kg). Vehicle build schedule was (at the time) out nine months. Spec'ed an IRS chassis (got a 72) with a Benco transaxle and MOFOCO engine (trans and engine ordered separately). Benco transmission delivered Nov. 2021 (3 months). Kubelcraft notified me that car was complete Sept. 2022 (12 months).

MOFOCO listed build times at time of order: "All engine builds are currently at a minimum 16-20 weeks lead time."

I am still waiting on MOFOCO engine (over 12 months now). Inquiries indicated supply chain issues and specifically engine block availability. Will report back when delivered and any engine issues.

Was informed that it would be three weeks (11 October). Now another two weeks. Put on calendar.

Well hello, order 35346, order 35196 here. I placed my order in July 2021 and I still haven't received my engine. I was also told that there was a long lead time because of engine block availability. I just happened to have a new block, so I shipped that to him. THAT happened in February.

Was told that I would receive a $650 credit towards my order and I would have my engine within two weeks. I still have no engine, nor do I have my $650 credit.

Thanks for the info. Big mistake paying second half of invoice. I might have to eat this one.

55rover

Hey 35346,

Roy finally got back to me today with many pictures of things and lots of apologies. Amongst the pictures he showed me, was the list of engines that he is building. After a year and four months, I am still engine 14 on this list. You are engine 17. To prove that this is accurate info, your initials are CG.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

69RVABUG wrote:
55rover wrote:
69RVABUG wrote:
55rover wrote:
55rover wrote:
Kubelwagen project

Ordered a Kubelwagen from Kubelcraft (www.kubelcraft.com) over a year ago (Sept 2021). Plan to use as a light RV tow behind vehicle (1,800 lbs, ~800 kg). Vehicle build schedule was (at the time) out nine months. Spec'ed an IRS chassis (got a 72) with a Benco transaxle and MOFOCO engine (trans and engine ordered separately). Benco transmission delivered Nov. 2021 (3 months). Kubelcraft notified me that car was complete Sept. 2022 (12 months).

MOFOCO listed build times at time of order: "All engine builds are currently at a minimum 16-20 weeks lead time."

I am still waiting on MOFOCO engine (over 12 months now). Inquiries indicated supply chain issues and specifically engine block availability. Will report back when delivered and any engine issues.

Was informed that it would be three weeks (11 October). Now another two weeks. Put on calendar.

Well hello, order 35346, order 35196 here. I placed my order in July 2021 and I still haven't received my engine. I was also told that there was a long lead time because of engine block availability. I just happened to have a new block, so I shipped that to him. THAT happened in February.

Was told that I would receive a $650 credit towards my order and I would have my engine within two weeks. I still have no engine, nor do I have my $650 credit.

Thanks for the info. Big mistake paying second half of invoice. I might have to eat this one.

55rover

Hey 35346,

Roy finally got back to me today with many pictures of things and lots of apologies. Amongst the pictures he showed me, was the list of engines that he is building. After a year and four months, I am still engine 14 on this list. You are engine 17. To prove that this is accurate info, your initials are CG.

Quite correct, PM'ed you with my cell number. Call if you can please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Roy sent me a video of it running before he shipped my engine, and I finally received my engine last Wednesday! It looks very nice, all bright and shiny. I haven't received my $650 refund for supplying the engine case, so I'll be emailing him about that soon.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

69RVABUG wrote:
Roy sent me a video of it running before he shipped my engine, and I finally received my engine last Wednesday! It looks very nice, all bright and shiny. I haven't received my $650 refund for supplying the engine case, so I'll be emailing him about that soon.

Did you get the case you sent back or did swap for another case?
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
69RVABUG wrote:

Did you get the case you sent back or did swap for another case?

I haven't checked to see if it's the same case. At one point I wrote down the numbers I was able to find on the case, but it's been a long time since I did that so I'm not quite sure if I still have that info.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I did receive an email and a confirmation on the shipping of my engine. Ordered 14 Sep 2021 and shipped 5 Jan 2023 (478 days). It looks good and the video was compelling. Will report back on delivery condition, installation and testing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to Video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/x_3dCnBwtSU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I am assuming you installed the progressive and peripherals?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

No, this was a "turn-key" engine from MOFOCO. All included except the exhaust.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine was dropped shipped to Kubelkraft for installation in my Kubel replica. Report is ran fine on installation after partial disassembly for painting tin. Missing electronic points but everything else was as ordered.
Kirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I'm next in the MOFOCO complaint line. I wish I had done more research on this company before I did business with them. I've been waiting over a year for my engine that was supposed to be finished in 5 months. Numerous lies on where I stood in line for completion. Basically the same stuff many others have posted about MOFOCO. It looks like MOFOCO uses the same script for everyone.
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Kirwin wrote:
Well, it looks like I'm next in the MOFOCO complaint line. I wish I had done more research on this company before I did business with them. I've been waiting over a year for my engine that was supposed to be finished in 5 months. Numerous lies on where I stood in line for completion. Basically the same stuff many others have posted about MOFOCO. It looks like MOFOCO uses the same script for everyone.

Just when you think you have heard all the excuses possible they will throw you one more. Sob story after sob story. Then if you question any work, or lack there of, done on the engine they will tell you that you don't respect the work they do or understand it.

Good luck!
TiredandWornARTifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I wish I had read this thread before ordering my longblock from them.

Makes me sick to my stomach as this was a big spend for me, and I really can't afford to do it twice. Still waiting...
jonreed98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had the same problems as listed by everyone on here. I ordered an engine mid 2021 and didnt get it till end of 2022. dozens of lies , missed commitments, more lies and excuses. Why do they continue to take orders if all they are doing is pissing off customers. Check out the BBB list of complaints. Over 2 full pages of complaints. Why does anyone do business with them any more. Never again for me!
Kirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Well, after waiting 14 months and 7 days on what was supposed to be a 5 month build, I have finally received my engine. Fingers crossed that it all works now.
mbrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Kirwin wrote:
Well, after waiting 14 months and 7 days on what was supposed to be a 5 month build, I have finally received my engine. Fingers crossed that it all works now.

Just curious,,,,is it leaking oil all over the place?
Kirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

mbrobe wrote:
Kirwin wrote:

Just curious,,,,is it leaking oil all over the place?

Actually, it took me a few months to install the engine and I haven't driven it much to find out. Now, it's Winter here and I'll probably won't put any miles on the Bus til Spring. I'll definitely post what happens though.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

happy that these feedback forums exist. im not far from mofoco and was considering a trans rebuild from them, but im assuming that 3-5 month backlog is more realistically 12-20 months..

thankful for thesamba as a resource.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: