Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temp needle not moving
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Hello new here and in the vanagon wheels . I have a 1990 2.1 GL that the temp gauge needle is not moving . So I知 trying to replace the sensors . I found the location but I see two. I would love to replace both but not sure what is what for .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Hi and welcome !

How do you know it's the sensor? Could be a problem with the instrument cluster. Is your fuel gauge working correctly?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

It looks like someone may have reversed the 2 wiring connectors.
The temp senders are color coded and so are the wiring connectors.

The gauge sender is BLACK and the wiring connector for it is also BLACK.

The Fuel Injection temp sender is BLUE and the wiring connector for it is also BLUE.

The 2 senders have very different OHM ranges and won't work correctly if mixed up.

Mark

Vanagonoob wrote:
Hello new here and in the vanagon wheels . I have a 1990 2.1 GL that the temp gauge needle is not moving . So I知 trying to replace the sensors . I found the location but I see two. I would love to replace both but not sure what is what for.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Vanagonoob wrote:
Hello new here and in the vanagon wheels . I have a 1990 2.1 GL that the temp gauge needle is not moving . So I知 trying to replace the sensors . I found the location but I see two. I would love to replace both but not sure what is what for .

this forum is great and full of helpful members. with that said...

do you have the Bentley?

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Vanagon-Repair-Manual-1980/dp/0837616654

have you downloaded and printed the Digifiant Pro-Training Manual?

https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

while this forum is a great resource and we are pretty quick with the help, getting to know your bus and it's various systems will go a long way to having a safe, fun, and reliable bus. the Bentley is a must have item as is the Digifiant Pro-Training Manual.

welcome to the mania, happy bussin!

BiWerks Design, LLC
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It looks like someone may have reversed the 2 wiring connectors.
The temp senders are color coded and so are the wiring connectors.

The gauge sender is BLACK and the wiring connector for it is also BLACK.

The Fuel Injection temp sender is BLUE and the wiring connector for it is also BLUE.

The 2 senders have very different OHM ranges and won't work correctly if mixed up.

Mark

That痴 actually correct I pulled the blue wiring conector and a black sensor came out along some coolant
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving(fixed) Reply with quote

**** FIXED you were right I bridged black connector to test if temp needle move and eureka! It痴 alive!!!! So black connector to the left and blue to the right. Thanks a bunch
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
this forum is great and full of helpful members. with that said...

do you have the Bentley?

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Vanagon-Repair-Manual-1980/dp/0837616654

have you downloaded and printed the Digifiant Pro-Training Manual?

https://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

while this forum is a great resource and we are pretty quick with the help, getting to know your bus and it's various systems will go a long way to having a safe, fun, and reliable bus. the Bentley is a must have item as is the Digifiant Pro-Training Manual.

welcome to the mania, happy bussin!

thanks and I already downloaded the one and planing to get the Bentley.
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Would like to thanks to all for the great Info. I can believe the sensors still the ones made in Germany . Btw . I noticed lots of movement of coolant in the reservoir. Is that normal ?
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Welcome. Can you try to be more specific about "Movement of coolant in reservoir"? When, how much, which coolant tank, etc? The more detail you give, the easier and more likely the help you will receive.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Vanagonoob wrote:
downloaded the one and planing to get the Bentley.

glad you got it sorted out and it was simply swapping the connections. my gauge failed due to brittle wiring while on a road trip thru New England last year. expect broken wires, poor grounds, and lots of head scratching, but we're here for you.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Vanagonoob wrote:
Would like to thanks to all for the great Info. I can believe the sensors still the ones made in Germany . Btw . I noticed lots of movement of coolant in the reservoir. Is that normal ?

There should be a significant movement of coolant through the pressure tank when the engine is running. The tank should be full though so this is usually not all that noticeable.
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Vanagonoob wrote:

There should be a significant movement of coolant through the pressure tank when the engine is running. The tank should be full though so this is usually not all that noticeable.
reservoir is not full full. (Normal full) and when I say moement is like mini waves . Kinda shaking a half way full water bottle .

BTW I知 planing to take my 1990 GL 2.1 for an oil change any recommendations . I was thinking 20w 50
Vanagonoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Vanagonoob wrote:
downloaded the one and planing to get the Bentley.

glad you got it sorted out and it was simply swapping the connections. my gauge failed due to brittle wiring while on a road trip thru New England last year. expect broken wires, poor grounds, and lots of head scratching, but we're here for you.

lol. Thank you . I actually have to fix/change some old cabling . You will hear from me soon.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp needle not moving Reply with quote

Vanagonoob wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Vanagonoob wrote:

reservoir is not full full. (Normal full) and when I say moement is like mini waves . Kinda shaking a half way full water bottle .

BTW I知 planing to take my 1990 GL 2.1 for an oil change any recommendations . I was thinking 20w 50

With something besides the OEM setup all bets are off as to what is normal.

As for oil, for years I ran 30wt in the summer and 10w30 in the winter. Today I typically just run 5w40 synthetic year around. So long as you engine is tight there is no reason to run a 20w50. There is an oil pressure spec in the manual, so long as you meet the spec your oil is plenty thick enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: