Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"D" Flashes on Dash
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a 1997 VW Eurovan (US) Model. I have been having this issue on and off for the past year. The frequency is had to determine: I took a 600-mile trip and it happened; it might happen ever 50 drives? it is not my daily driver so tough to determine. The issue is the Dark area around the "D" gear indicator on the dash will flash and the van will have lack of power (limp mode?). When I shut the van off and restart it runs with no issues. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago and has about 6000 miles on the rebuild. I have checked the wiring connector on the transmission. I am not getting any codes and VW mechanic that I took it into is not seeing any codes. You can see by the attached photo that sometimes the TFT on my Scan Gauge will be blank when this happens. This particular time it had 2 quick flashes the break and then 2 quick flashes. Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

You said you checked the connecter at the transmission. Which one?

There's the round one that goes into the top of the valve body towards the front. The other one is rectangular shaped on the driver's side of the trans for the multi-function switch.

TFT comes from the round connector, "D" signal comes from the rectangular connector.

You may have a faulty connection at both. Also, the multi-function switch may be going bad.
Rtlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

EuroTec thank you for the guidance. I will get back under and check for both connectors tomorrow. I will pay additional attention to the multi-function switch.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

https://www.carparts.com/neutral-safety-switch/bec...year]=1997
Rtlane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

I had my mechanic look at the connectors while it was hooked up to his scanner. He moved the plugs (Square and Oval) around and had no errors TCM or otherwise. Where do the wires that go the square and oval feed from? (TCM?ECU?) What next steps would you take? Should I send my TCM out to Module Masters and have them run a diagnostic to check for any issues? Test the harness leading to the Transmission? Thank you.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "D" Flashes on Dash Reply with quote

Rtlane wrote:
I had my mechanic look at the connectors while it was hooked up to his scanner. He moved the plugs (Square and Oval) around and had no errors TCM or otherwise. Where do the wires that go the square and oval feed from? (TCM?ECU?) What next steps would you take? Should I send my TCM out to Module Masters and have them run a diagnostic to check for any issues? Test the harness leading to the Transmission? Thank you.

Both of those go to the TCU.

The missing temperature data could be a failed circuit strip that connects the solenoids to the external harness. The sensor is built into the strip.

The "D" issue is most likely from an intermittent multifunction switch.

You can get one at that link I posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: