Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pet peeves
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

I am amazed that Zaner-Bloser still exists. Shocked
https://www.zaner-bloser.com/handwriting/zaner-bloser-handwriting/index.php
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Unsubscribing: "Please give us 5-10 days to remove your email from our system."

Like in this world of modern electronics and software, it takes that long??? Really???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Unsubscribing: "Please give us 5-10 days to remove your email from our system."

Like in this world of modern electronics and software, it takes that long??? Really???

I feel like if I had asked to be put on their robocall / marketing email list, they could do that immediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

when you think a page has loaded so you click on a button or link just as the page jinks and you're through to a page you didn't want!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Online banking service fees get under my skin, why are they charging me when I'm the one doing all the work?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Hey, I just bought pizza. Take a slice. But close that damn lid after you do!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage

Last edited by NJ John on Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

LED bulbs (for your house)

first they don't last long at all, in line with incandescent bulbs as far as I'm concerned, if not worse

the color hue varies from mfgr to mfgr. so one companies "warm white" doesn't match the next one

they don't dim to the point of a regular incandescent bulb. you know, that creepy glow. even at their lowest, they are too bright

some are 'dimmer ready' which is bullshit. most I have tried flicker like that of a strobe light. so now, i have to invest in 'LED friendly' dimmers? fuck off.... how is that "green"

I'll buy my incandescent bulbs from China.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
LED bulbs (for your house)

first they don't last long at all, in line with incandescent bulbs as far as I'm concerned, if not worse

the color hue varies from mfgr to mfgr. so one companies "warm white" doesn't match the next one

they don't dim to the point of a regular incandescent bulb. you know, that creepy glow. even at their lowest, they are too bright

some are 'dimmer ready' which is bullshit. most I have tried flicker like that of a strobe light. so now, i have to invest in 'LED friendly' dimmers? fuck off.... how is that "green"

I'll buy my incandescent bulbs from China.

If you go by the color temperature instead of the descriptor, you can match the white color hue. 2700K, for example, is 2700K is 2700K, and is often called soft white. Warm white is usually 2100k or 2200k, depending on the manufacturer, but the same number will match another bulb with the same number.

Th rest of your criticisms are valid, as they are opinion, or at the very least, variable.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

These kinds of posts. Really Peeve me off to no end.
Rotary baja bug wrote:
Need some major help, story is I have a Baja bug with a bus 002 transmission that after 7 years started shifting incorrectly, hard to get it into 1st and 2nd gear and then going back down would be rough, reverse goes in no problem 3rd and 4th seemed to be fine, took it to my mechanic and told me whoever built his car changed it up completed boxed out the front plate to access the shift rod and the shift rod now starts at the shifter and runs straight to the shift coupler. He found a bad white bushing and it got kinda better when I was at the shop ass soon as I took it out to the desert same issues. Decided to pull my trans and take it to rancho to rebuild, fix whatever was broken shifting wise and added a limited slip differential, they said there was minor wear on something that could have caused the shifting issues, they showed me the Tranny shifting correctly on the bench. I installed some shift coupler just to do it and I don’t know if it matters but when I looked at the shift couple it was kind of leaning to the left if you’re looking at the rear. You can move it to correct the angle to get the nut to go on the nose cone and I tested the shifting and sure enough it had the same problems 3 and 4th and reverse no problem. 1st and 2nd would come in every now and then, I brought my mechanic and he said he’s seen this problem and it just needs the shifter and or coupling but I’m freaking out because I just spent money on Tranny and engine and front end rebuilding and now this. The only way to pull the shift rod out would be to cut up the tunnel which is a huge take and make a new shift rod that would line up straight to the nose cone where you put the screw on or cut the bottom of the pan out to get to it. Is it not
Normal for the shift couple to sit crooked and have to turn it to into install on the nose cone or what I’m I going to run into I’ll share pics.

How is this even readable?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

It’s not, and best ignored.

“Sorry, I don’t read word salad “ is a response that can prompt them to find their punctuation keys on their keyboard, after putting down their phone.

On other Fora, that just gets deleted.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

If you go by the color temperature instead of the descriptor, you can match the white color hue. 2700K, for example, is 2700K is 2700K, and is often called soft white.

yea, that's the rub. buying based on the Kelvin scale isn't always 100% from manufacturer to manufacturer

sylvania's description doesn't match GE's

I literally just bought a case of BR30 incandescent bulbs and will buy another few if need be

the bulbs I'm replacing now have been in service since '08 when we built. we started to lose some about a year/year 1/2 ago and that is when I realized the LED's suck

we have had the above "name brand" LED's last like 6 months. Total joke

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

I typically ignore posts that are illogical and/or fail to provide pertinent/relevant information or terms that in my 50+ years with VWs and mechanics that I've never heard of.

Sometimes I post my "No Help for You" picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I typically ignore posts that are illogical and/or fail to provide pertinent/relevant information or terms that in my 50+ years with VWs and mechanics that I've never heard of.

Sometimes I post my "No Help for You" picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. Spock was the same way.

Ever hear of "puddle jumper" or "pregnant roller skate"?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

If you go by the color temperature instead of the descriptor, you can match the white color hue. 2700K, for example, is 2700K is 2700K, and is often called soft white.

yea, that's the rub. buying based on the Kelvin scale isn't always 100% from manufacturer to manufacturer

sylvania's description doesn't match GE's

I literally just bought a case of BR30 incandescent bulbs and will buy another few if need be

the bulbs I'm replacing now have been in service since '08 when we built. we started to lose some about a year/year 1/2 ago and that is when I realized the LED's suck

we have had the above "name brand" LED's last like 6 months. Total joke

I've been using HD's store-brand, Ecosmart, since the '80s. They last for years.

They may flicker a bit when they are about to fail, but this has happened once or twice after many years.

LEDs are supposed to be 80% more efficient than incandescents, and they don't get hot. Also, the plastc-bodied ones work much better in my portable work lights, as I tend to drop or bang them around. The LEDs don't break or go out whereas incans fail at the tap of a hat, so to speak.

As for the look of them, and the dimming capability, that's purely subjective, so I getcha. But the soft white 2700K floods in my high hats in my ceilings look great at full bright or full dim, as far as my wife and I are concerned, but again, this is purely subjective.

Try to grab up as many incans as you can as I hear they are being phased out of production by August of this year.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

not being able to phone the local shop, bank, cinema etc and having to phone the 'national' company number and waste life going through the switchboard menus...

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

I’m not the best speller. But, this is one I see everyday. It’s “disc brakes” not “disk brakes”.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
I’m not the best speller. But, this is one I see everyday. It’s “disc brakes” not “disk brakes”.

It’s disk breaks, and don’t ride the break peddle
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

* break's Laughing

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
NJ John wrote:

It’s disk breaks, and don’t ride the break peddle

petal

nickle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves Reply with quote

if your too effken stupid to figure out the dicks breaks you may want to find another line of work and stop giving exspurt addvise to the clueless exspurts that you learnd it al form. I wonder just how these people can fallow any conversation gong on if they can not tell whats going on when its' ritten down in font of them. and yet they have to add there tottaly usleess exspurt addvise with a loose screw&jaw and no idea what is being disCuser~ed
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 62

Jump to: