Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
Last picture from me.

Pass side went even quicker, I tried to set the upper ball joint as much as possible the the original position. Next stop is the alignment shop for sure.

The back is sitting a little high, engines out. Having heads flycut.

Very happy with these. SO much easier than swapping out the entire beam, pulling the fuel tank, yuck.

Turning lock to lock, not hearing any rubbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks the pictures & documentation of everything!
The front ride height is perfect. So, bigger pistons & cylinders?

Picking up heads today. The 7.3CR was too low. Bumping to 8.3, still 1679.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

How can I not post a picture with engine back in?

Here's the final resting place with the drop spindles. Really like the small rake to the front. Drove around a bit, lock to lock doesn't rub anywhere I can tell. Still need to get it aligned so not driving much until then:

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
How can I not post a picture with engine back in?

Here's the final resting place with the drop spindles. Really like the small rake to the front. Drove around a bit, lock to lock doesn't rub anywhere I can tell. Still need to get it aligned so not driving much until then:

Perfection!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Yep, looks great. I just got a pair of these spindles but It will be a while before I'm using them. Are you running 4.5" wide BRMs?
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
Yep, looks great. I just got a pair of these spindles but It will be a while before I'm using them. Are you running 4.5" wide BRMs?

https://www2.cip1.com/acc-c10-6629/

15x5's, don't think there are many other options for the 4 lug BRM's? Been running them for a few years and like them. Had to use 914 alloy lug bolts on the front and steel rim 914 lug bolts on the rear.
von dutchoven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

What size are your tires and what is the offset of the wheels? I have some 914 sport wheels with an et41 offset and was hoping to run 195/60r15's
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

von dutchoven wrote:
What size are your tires and what is the offset of the wheels? I have some 914 sport wheels with an et41 offset and was hoping to run 195/60r15's

You'd have to look at the cip link I posted above for the wheel offset. Tires are 185/65/15's.

Have an alignment scheduled for June 7th and will post up results here. Heard some drop spindles didn't allow alignment to get into spec. Don't think that'll be the case here.

Even without the alignment, have put a few miles on it. The caster shims make a big difference as well as having the front slightly lower than the rear. Bug really tracks straight now.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Update:

Heard from some that some drop spindles don't allow for in-spec alignment. Scheduled a 4-wheel alignment on Wednesday and everything could be adjusted to spec.

We opted to put -1/2 degree camber on the front wheels. Tech was a little concerned the tire might rub the fender lip under hard compression and turning. I haven't noticed any rubbing at all, even with spirited driving. Nice to have the Bug track straight and true down the road. Feels very solid now.

I did put in caster shims, so I'm probably a true 2 1/4" drop instead of 2 1/2".

clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and your overall willingness to help!
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! Thanks for the updates, more pics please. Smile
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Update:

Had to pull a front wheel yesterday and noted a little paint rubbed off the inside of the fender. Right at the top, not forward or back. Not bad, but a little. Both sides are similar.

I put some touch-up paint on the areas and will see if it comes back. I did replace the 20 year shocks only about a month ago.

I'm also running 185/65/15's all around which is probably too much tire.

Maybe down to a 175/65/15?

Either way, the tire isn't missing chunks of rubber or even displaying an area that looks like it's rubbing. My guess is my older shocks probably allowed a bit too much travel under harder cornering.

Just something to keep watch for if you install these spindles. Offset may be the same, but you do sit tucked closer to the fender.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

I'd like to add some information to this topic.
If you're using this example to decide if those same wheels will fit your car, beware, Dan's Mexican Beetle uses slightly different brakes than what's available today. See in the first pic how there's a bearing hub? Mexican Beetles have a rotor that is separate from the bearing hub, just like all modern cars. Once the rotor is attached, you can see in the second pic there's a Phillips flat head screw holding the rotor on.
The result of this rotor is that the mounting face for the wheel is about 8mm further in than a standard Karmann Ghia type rotor.
Root_Werks wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Just to chime in, I only found this thread today.

I fitted the same Empi Zero Offset spindles to my 67 bug.

It's a European model, with factory discs, so is 4 lug. So I posted in this group as it may have same fitment as 68 up bugs with a disc conversion.

Anyhow they do seem to be zero offset, I'm running 165 /80/15 tyres and only a tiny rub at full lock (Inner wheel rim against the ARB clamp). I moved out the steering stops a little and it went away.

Stock Beam, Stock shocks, 165-80-15 tyres. 2 litre alloys. No spacers.

Very Happy with them.

Before

After
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

@Bruce

That's interesting and hadn't thought about a Ghia rotor vs a Mexi-Bug hub/hat combo.

From manuals:

1310mm Front Track - 1969
1322mm Front Track - 2003

I wonder if I could pull my wheels in 6mm per side by using once piece Ghia rotors? That would help in of itself.

An assumption:

Would think that Empi did NOT specifically build these spindles for Mexi-Bugs. Meaning you'd think any Ghia rotor will also bolt-on and the caliper would still center correctly, but reduce track by 6mm per side.

Hmm, now I want to source a one piece rotor just to try it out.

-Dan
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Without taking a rotor off and measuring flat surfaces, best I can tell, back of rotor to wheel mount surface appears to be 57-58mm.

Granted, I'm holding objects instead of letting things rest solid on a bench.

Also does appear the Ghia 2-pin calipers are the same the Mexican Beetles use.

If anyone can measure a Ghia rotor, that might answer the question of overall track Mexi-Bug Disc vs. Ghia Disc track.

-Dan
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

From manuals:

1310mm Front Track - 1969
1322mm Front Track - 2003

The wheels are a big factor. A 69 had a 4" wide wheel with an ET of 40mm. Your Mex had 4½" wheels with ET 34mm.
A 69 USA spec Beetle uses drum brakes, so that might change things.

Root_Werks wrote:
I wonder if I could pull my wheels in 6mm per side by using once piece Ghia rotors? That would help in of itself.
No, the opposite is true. KG rotors will push your wheels out. My crude measurement years ago was 8mm. I'll check it again on the weekend.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

I am wanting to get these zero offset drop disc forged spindles for my '75 to replace stock drums. I can't see to find these in a kit, only sold as a bare set of spindles.

Anyone know of these in a full kit with calipers, pads, rotors, bearings etc?

Thanks
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
If anyone can measure a Ghia rotor, that might answer the question of overall track Mexi-Bug Disc vs. Ghia Disc track.

I had a chance to measure the two rotors. Both rotors were used, so the amount of wear on the disc from the brake pads was unknown.
My measurements showed that the Mexican discs will move your wheel in 5.5-6mm from where a Karmann Ghia rotor is.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there are REAL zero offset ball joint drop spindles Reply with quote

@Root Werks. I'm a total Supsr Beetle dude, but your car looks amazing (like Glenn's). That's not to take anything away from a LOT of cars posted up on here, but itis particularly nice.

That's all
H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: