Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse switch in early nose cone?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

Can a later style reverse switch be installed in a 65 nose cone with some drilling and tapping in the correct location? Or are there internal differences that prevent this?

Thanks!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bruce jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: REverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

It's not just a matter of drilling and tapping a hole in the nose cone. The 1967 and later transmissions had a cast boss in the front of the nose cone, providing extra strength for the m18x1.5 threaded hole that takes the reverse light switch. Replacement 67-later nose cones are available in the aftermarket, running about $50 (there is one on Ebay right now for $34 with free shipping). If you don't already have a m18x1.5 tap, these run $15-20. Might be money ahead to get the replacement nose cone. You are going to have to pull the transaxle anyway to do the job, either way; why not just do it once?

But to answer your question: yes, it can be done. Just be sure to put the hole in the right place.
Daniel_I
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: REverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

bruce jones wrote:
It's not just a matter of drilling and tapping a hole in the nose cone. The 1967 and later transmissions had a cast boss in the front of the nose cone, providing extra strength for the m18x1.5 threaded hole that takes the reverse light switch. Replacement 67-later nose cones are available in the aftermarket, running about $50 (there is one on Ebay right now for $34 with free shipping). If you don't already have a m18x1.5 tap, these run $15-20. Might be money ahead to get the replacement nose cone. You are going to have to pull the transaxle anyway to do the job, either way; why not just do it once?

But to answer your question: yes, it can be done. Just be sure to put the hole in the right place.

I have what I believe to be a 1971 Super Beetle 1600 (dated from the VIN/Chassis number AND identified as a Super from the fact that the spare tyre drops down low in the boot and leaves a large storage area). The reverse indicator lamps never worked in the 16 years that I've owned it... but I need them now as my son is taking his driving test on it... and reverse lights are mandatory for the test. If I cannot get them to work I'll either have to rig up a dash mounted switch OR a speedo drive cable controlled switch. I am not convinced that the transmission is the original. The rear lamp clusters include reversing lights which may not be original. The transmission nose cone has the reverse lamp switch position plugged with what looks like a female ~10mm hex drive plug. I spoke to a local mechanic who really is knowledgeable on the type... and he says there is no 'lever' fitted inside the transmission which can actuate a switch. That doesn't really make sense to me following on from your previous reply. I need to know what actually actuates the reverse switch inside. If you are correct that all one has to do is drill and tap a hole in exactly the right place and then fit a swtch, then it seems to me that I can just remove the (I think Alloy)plug and replace it with a switch... making sure that I use the spacing washer to get the depth of the actuator just right. Your (or anybody else's thoughts would be most appreciated. Many thanks.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

Your mechanic is right. All you need to do is remove that plug and install the switch with the correct thick alum washer. The switch is activated directly by the reverse shift rod. No levers needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel_I
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Your mechanic is right. All you need to do is remove that plug and install the switch with the correct thick alum washer. The switch is activated directly by the reverse shift rod. No levers needed.

Sorry, I see now how you misunderstood my query. I didn't make my message clear. The mechanic said that there 'should' be a lever inside to activate the reverse switch... but that there isn't one in my transmission. That's what didn't make sense to me...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

Daniel_I wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Sorry, I see now how you misunderstood my query. I didn't make my message clear. The mechanic said that there 'should' be a lever inside to activate the reverse switch... but that there isn't one in my transmission. That's what didn't make sense to me...

I also would "chance" that a traditional VW reverse light switch can simply be screwed in there, with the correct sealing washer. My switch uses a 22mm combination wrench to R&R, and this can be done with the transmission in place.

If that doesn't work out, I'd simply add a toggle switch under the dash for the reverse lights.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: REverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

bruce jones wrote:

If I change to the later nosecone, will I need to change the front mount also?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse switch in early nose cone? Reply with quote

A late 60s nose cone is a direct replacement so the mounts are the same. I think up to like 1972 actually.

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-113-301-205-f/

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: